You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

Liverpool FC to bid for Arsenal's Theo Walcott if they can sell Andy Carroll before transfer deadline day

Even though Liverpool wouldn't affectively bank that money for 12 months, the ECHO understands the owners would allow it to be spent prior to the window closing at 11pm tomorrow night.

That just looks like we're spending money we don't have, buying players on 'credit'. I think even with the (possible) sales of Adam and Spearing, they still wouldn't even cover the cost of Allen alone. Maybe Borini, but that's about it.

“I’ve got to say he’s been excellent in terms of his attitude and his acceptance of where he’s at.

“But for us as a football club, and I'm talking generically here, I’m not sure we’re in a position to have £35million players as third choice strikers or wingers who might be on £5million or £6million per year."

Liverpool FC to bid for Arsenal's Theo Walcott if they can sell Andy Carroll before transfer deadline day - Liverpool FC News - Liverpool FC - Liverpool Echo

It's very rare that Pearce does such a late update on the Echo site. No doubt Ayre has briefed him.

Think with this and the Rodgers quotes today they are trying to push Andy towards accepting the West Ham loan sooner rather than later.

I would rather have someone with suspect skill but bags of positive attitude

and belief rather than one with skill but piss poor attitude. His attitude wasn't right when he first arrived as he was pining for Newcastle like some jilted girlfriend, he's matured some what (quite a bit considering he joined us when he was 22). I'd play him in Cup games and as an impact sub, he proves himself there then the crowd will tell you what to do next and you ignore them at your peril.

I think he has done quite well in the market - especially after inheriting years of ineptitude. Would anyone have come in for Carroll without him putting a sign out? And do you really think they would have come in at 20 plus? Allegedely we have turned down bids for near 20 and 30 for our centrebacks this window as well as landing the one of the top young British talents and loaning one of the top young euro players. IMO it is naive to think anyone would have come knocking for Carroll for more - maybe even at all.

You can put the feelers out that someone is available without announcing it in public. It weakens any position you are in as we are now seeing with Newcastle whilst at the same time pissing off the player (which no doubt Carroll is having his name in the paper everyday and us seemingly desperate to sell)

I haven't mentioned any other deals only the cack handed Carroll affair.

I would rather have someone with suspect skill but bags of positive attitude

and belief rather than one with skill but piss poor attitude. His attitude wasn't right when he first arrived as he was pining for Newcastle like some jilted girlfriend, he's matured some what (quite a bit considering he joined us when he was 22). I'd play him in Cup games and as an impact sub, he proves himself there then the crowd will tell you what to do next and you ignore them at your peril.

We've had more players with belief and positive attitude than with great skill and it's done fuck all for us. Idealy you want players with both, settling for players with either one or the other isn't going to get you anywhere.

I still don't understand why if we are skint and need to sell to buy we aren't using that limited resource to buy a goal scorer. Unless like I mentioned earlier, Rodgers wants to give some more young lads from the reserves a go.

You can put the feelers out that someone is available without announcing it in public. It weakens any position you are in as we are now seeing with Newcastle whilst at the same time pissing off the player (which no doubt Carroll is having his name in the paper everyday and us seemingly desperate to sell)

I haven't mentioned any other deals only the cack handed Carroll affair.

Said before - if I definitely want to sell something, for the highest dollar, by a certain date - it is going on auction.

How long do you think "feelers" stay unknown these days?

Said before - if I definitely want to sell something, for the highest dollar, by a certain date - it is going on auction.

How long do you think "feelers" stay unknown these days?

Your right they wouldn't, but stating it publicly doesn't help your position, I can't see how anyone would think otherwise. As far as I'm concerned he has handled it poorly right from the start, making it clear to everyone he didn't really fancy him and then trying very publicly and forcibly to move him on.

I don't really care if we move him or not now anyway because any deals we try and do will be rushed and we will probably lose out, again.

haha, are you on smack? He's shite. He's worth less than that.

If i was a Stoke fan, and we signed Charlie Adam for 5 Million, i would be very happy.

He's not shite at all. Our midfield at the moment, Gerrard, Lucas( Gutted), Allen, Sahin, and the emergence of Shelvey. It potentially a world class midfield again. There's just no room for him. He could make a useful squad player but he wants to play. He can do a very good job at someone like Stoke. Saying he's shite is just daft!

Your right they wouldn't, but stating it publicly doesn't help your position, I can't see how anyone would think otherwise. As far as I'm concerned he has handled it poorly right from the start, making it clear to everyone he didn't really fancy him and then trying very publicly and forcibly to move him on.

I don't really care if we move him or not now anyway because any deals we try and do will be rushed and we will probably lose out, again.

Well, we were gonna lose out massively starting at 35 mil - even if he had knocked in 25 goals - no matter what.

How much do you think the fella is worth on the market?

What makes you say that when we have signed an Italian, a Turk, a Moroccan and a welshman?

I think Dempsey is a short term fix who wouldn't be on massive wages.

Pissed me off the way we have gone about the Carroll deals, Rodgers fucked up early by making it known he was available, now we leave it until the last minute to try and push him out.

He already knew the Italian and Welshman, the Turk was a no brainer and the Moroccan was bought for buttons.

Dempsey would be on big wages, it will be his last big transfer so will want a big wedge.

I don't know how much we got for Aquilani in the end. If it was 7m, then we've only really spent about 21m on players coming in. I suppose that's reasonable...

I hope we have more windows like this, improving but not getting rinsed, we will have to anyway seens we are quite skint.

Still think we have underestimated how shite we are at finishing though.

Well, we were gonna lose out massively starting at 35 mil - even if he had knocked in 25 goals - no matter what.

How much do you think the fella is worth on the market?

£15-£20 million with the English potential tax, Newcastle supposedly offered £12 million or a loan deal because they know they are in a strong position.

He already knew the Italian and Welshman, the Turk was a no brainer and the Moroccan was bought for buttons.

Dempsey would be on big wages, it will be his last big transfer so will want a big wedge.

Not a chance he will be on wedge, he isn't earning big at Fulham if I remember right an judging by how we are cutting our wage bill we won't give him a big contract

£15-£20 million with the English potential tax, Newcastle supposedly offered £12 million or a loan deal because they know they are in a strong position.

Agreed - West Ham is at 17 on the contingent loan - anyone else will know where they have to be to get a deal done now - seems we are getting multiple offers at close to, or right on, market value. Wheres the cock up?

Not a chance he will be on wedge, he isn't earning big at Fulham if I remember right an judging by how we are cutting our wage bill we won't give him a big contract

Which is probably why we never bid.

His age

The fact he was going to want a big wage as we were probably going to be the last team he signs for.

Just get that Brazilian lad

Daimo, Dime Bar whatever it is!

FSG can market that better than some near 30 yr old yank.

Is Honda still available?

Would you be happy with Carroll/Adam/Spearing out for Walcott/Dempsey in atm?

No, because if we are going to overspend, I think there are other players that we should be looking at. Huntelaar, for example would be a better option than Dempsey, in my opinion.