You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

At the moment, there are far too many mismatches in the UEFA qualifying tournaments. Taking San Marino as an example, what progress have they made in the 20-odd years they've been competing? I don't want to marginalise them and deem as worthless any progress they might have made, but they are gaining far too little from being bummed by the likes of the Netherlands, who for their part get minimal ranking points, but enough to help keep them out of the bottom 8! I've no doubt that the players of these lesser nations are up for it and well-motivated for internationals, but they aren't going out there to express themselves, but to try and not embarrass themselves. Also using San Marino as an example, they aren't involved in friendly games before the major summer tournaments because they add nothing to the preparations of the teams that will be involved in the summer tournaments.

I understand where you are coming from with regards to rugby and the effect playing Six Nations rugby has had on the Italian game and national team, but the difference between international rugby and football is that there are far fewer teams to compete against. Using your rugby analogy, the Italians were clearly better than other European also-rans, but had some way to go when up against the experience and strength in depth of the original Five Nations teams. They must have been doing something right to reach that point. My idea effectively puts 3 lesser nations in the same position as the Italians were when they first joined the Six Nations, and it also removes an awful lot of meaningless (but deemed competitive) fixtures from the calendar.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not one of the very anti-International people on here & always like to see England do well, but the latest announcement that England are looking to cram in games in November against Spain on the Friday & then Portugal on the Monday has annoyed me.

This season's Premiership has been so stop-start so far that it is getting ridiculous.

Pepe Reina is better than Arteta , big fuck up by Wenger not going after him harder.

Hardly comparable is it? Hendo and Ox ostensibly play the same position.

We'd chased Chamberlain for far longer than Henderson yet for some reason decided to stump up more money for the inferior player.

Although people slate internationals (I fully understand), it is excellent for those in the younger age group. Kelly got to play CB and Henderson and Flannagan got a runout to keep them sharp.

Even at full level, with no European football it will be good for Bellamy to get some more playing time for Wales and Coates for Uruguay also and Dirk for the Dutch. We also got to keep Gerrard back and work him hard in the break. This could hopefully be to our advantage, an international window that may help us.

We'd chased Chamberlain for far longer than Henderson yet for some reason decided to stump up more money for the inferior player.

Oxtail-Chamberpot is a striker/winger who looks to be best suited to a 4-3-3 formation as the right-sided attacker. Henderson is a central midfielder who looks to be best suited to a 4-3-3 formation as the right-sided midfielder. You already knew that, but don't let that stop you from coming on here and peddling your ultra-negative shite yet again.

Chamberlain wanted to go to Arsenal. That's why they got him.