You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Central Defence

Section_31

Doesn't seem to be getting mentioned much in terms of transfer activity but I think it's essential we look at this area before the summer's over. Carra isn't getting any younger, Skrtel is erratic and Agger is always fucked, and although I rate them both, neither of those two provide any leadership at the back either.

There seems to be more rumours floating around about a left back than about a centre back though, so I wonder if this Cissoko lad is being brought in so Johnson can move back to RB and Kelly can be nurtured into that central role.

Thoughts?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jon Snow

Mats Hummels get him and we will win the league.

20-30-40 mil still be a bargin

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KX7xe2cuZbI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In case u never heard of him

Hummels would be an excellent addition, yeah.

Lots of good CBs in Europe, too.

My list of favourites:

Mats Hummels (Dortmund)

Dmytro Chygrynskiy (Shakhtar Donetsk)

Douglas (FC Twente)

Toby Alderweireld (Ajax)

Benedikt Höwedes (Schalke 04)

Mamadou Sakho (PSG)

Neven Subotic (Dortmund)

I think given we've Soto Agger Carra Skertl as 1st choice, then backed up by Wilson Ayala and Kelly, with Wisdom hopefully coming through in next year or so we're covered given we've no Europe so even with a cup run we're likely to only play 45-48 games.

IMO the Phil Jones bid was because he was considered a 10 year signing and was worth the bid, but I don't think we should buy 1 just for the sake of it unless we move Soto and one other on.

TP, if Soto never plays for us again, it wasn't soon enough. Is Ayala good enough? Wisdom? Is he ready? Kelly? I like him...

Wilson needs a loan, badly.

I think we need to get rid of Soto and Danny Boy... We need one first choice CB to pair with Carragher with Skrtel backing them up.

I think given we've Soto Agger Carra Skertl as 1st choice, then backed up by Wilson Ayala and Kelly, with Wisdom hopefully coming through in next year or so we're covered given we've no Europe so even with a cup run we're likely to only play 45-48 games.

IMO the Phil Jones bid was because he was considered a 10 year signing and was worth the bid, but I don't think we should buy 1 just for the sake of it unless we move Soto and one other on.

Thing is of those you've mentioned, only Carra, Skrtel and Agger have proven capable of actually playing well in those positions. The Greek is fucking awful, I've never understood people's apprciation for him. Agger is always fucked and Carragher's getting on. Kelly is the only potential hope I can see in there.

This league just doesn't forgive a poor centre-back pairing, we know that through some painful experience.

Guest Jon Snow
Hummels would be an excellent addition, yeah.

Lots of good CBs in Europe, too.

My list of favourites:

Mats Hummels (Dortmund)

Dmytro Chygrynskiy (Shakhtar Donetsk)

Douglas (FC Twente)

Toby Alderweireld (Ajax)

Benedikt Höwedes (Schalke 04)

Mamadou Sakho (PSG)

Neven Subotic (Dortmund)

I agree they are all good CBs other then Hummels (who i think is best in world atm) Benedikt Höwedes is as solid as they come a little slower but great in air and on deck.

For me tho Hummels is the next gen CB he is fast , good in air , 2 good feet , can pick a pass , play 1-2s happy to go out wide , could play LB RB LM RM CM DM and still look good.

Just would love us to get a German in as i missed the Didi days , just felt solid when he played.

Toby Alderweireld is one hell of a passer... but he's right footed. He can play right back, as well.

He's a bit of a shortarse are 6'1" though... but seems to do well in the air. (I think Carra, Kelly, Skrtel are all right footed as well... only Agger/Wilson being left footed).

Thing is of those you've mentioned, only Carra, Skrtel and Agger have proven capable of actually playing well in those positions. The Greek is fucking awful, I've never understood people's apprciation for him. Agger is always fucked and Carragher's getting on. Kelly is the only potential hope I can see in there.

This league just doesn't forgive a poor centre-back pairing, we know that through some painful experience.

I agree Carra is getting on and this will be his last year as 1st choice IMO, both he and the Greek who it seems we will be stuck with will have to be replaced, if we got rid of Soto now and Ayala and Wilson go out on loan then I'm all for buying a new CB and I'd have liked us to get Jones, but just don't want us buying for the sake of it unless it's somebody who greatly improves the team and I don't think that somebody like Hummels or Sakho is going to happen this summer, for all we know another Smalling or Jones may emerge this season and next summer we may go after him.

Guest Jon Snow
Toby Alderweireld is one hell of a passer... but he's right footed. He can play right back, as well.

He's a bit of a shortarse are 6'1" though... but seems to do well in the air. (I think Carra, Kelly, Skrtel are all right footed as well... only Agger/Wilson being left footed).

Is he fast tho cos the one thing i think we lack in CB area when Agger don't play is speed its why we lose a lot of goals on the counter more so at home.

I mean it would also give us more confidence when playing these park the bus counter attacking teams at home if we knew we had someone who could run as fast as a striker.

That Hummels' vid was excellent. Seems to be everything we've been crying out for over the past dozen years all wrapped up into one young player.

I'm sold. Break the bank and get him.

For me, Soto and Wilson can go. Now. If we got Hummels, then we could add Skrtel to the list too.

Carra, Agger, Hummels, Kelly, backed up by Ayala and Wisdom - should have more than enough CB quality and cover there.

Is he fast tho cos the one thing i think we lack in CB area when Agger don't play is speed its why we lose a lot of goals on the counter more so at home.

I mean it would also give us more confidence when playing these park the bus counter attacking teams at home if we knew we had someone who could run as fast as a striker.

He's pretty quick. The other one for Ajax, Jan Vertonghen, is a left-footer and good too. Another Belgian.

Both players like to join the attack, and I wouldn't mind either, but I think Toby is a bit more talented.... but Jan is a bit taller and is left footed.

Guest Jon Snow

I don't normally limit my self to one choice in one position because end of day there is most of the time more then one choice at the level our team needs.But with this guy I can't see any better around for what the team needs.O and btw he is better in real life then on FM11 which is always a good sign haha.

That Hummels' vid was excellent. Seems to be everything we've been crying out for over the past dozen years all wrapped up into one young player.

I'm sold. Break the bank and get him.

For me, Soto and Wilson can go. Now. If we got Hummels, then we could add Skrtel to the list too.

Carra, Agger, Hummels, Kelly, backed up by Ayala and Wisdom - should have more than enough CB quality and cover there.

I've been banging on about Hummels for a while now. He's soooo underrated, and Subotic has a much higher profile for some reason. It doesn't make sense to me.

Guest Jon Snow
He's pretty quick. The other one for Ajax, Jan Vertonghen, is a left-footer and good too. Another Belgian.

Both players like to join the attack, and I wouldn't mind either, but I think Toby is a bit more talented.... but Jan is a bit taller and is left footed.

Yeah I mean he is an option , my worry is tho if we don't get this Hummels right here and now i think we will never get him.Only because atm even tho he looks so good he is still a little bit of risk to teams such as chelsea/citeh/man u.But i am sure he will have another top season and then every top team in Europe will be after him and we will have no chance.Well unless we win the league or something.

Yeah I mean he is an option , my worry is tho if we don't get this Hummels right here and now i think we will never get him.Only because atm even tho he looks so good he is still a little bit of risk to teams such as chelsea/citeh/man u.But i am sure he will have another top season and then every top team in Europe will be after him and we will have no chance.Well unless we win the league or something.

Hummels is the closest thing to Pique that you'll find... I reckon he's bang on to join Barcelona when they finally realize that they need more than two CBs.

He'd be perfect for us. I'd like him and one of the Belgian lads when Carragher finally isn't 1st choice. Hummels and Vertonghen or Alderweireld would be ace.

Carra doesn't normally get injured much and with us having no European games to deal with I'd expect him to be available pretty much all season. Then it's any one from 3 for the other spot. With Agger available for about 10 of them. The fucking crock.

Guest Jon Snow
Hummels is the closest thing to Pique that you'll find... I reckon he's bang on to join Barcelona when they finally realize that they need more than two CBs.

He'd be perfect for us. I'd like him and one of the Belgian lads when Carragher finally isn't 1st choice. Hummels and Vertonghen or Alderweireld would be ace.

Sad thing is you are prob 100% right barca be perfect club for him , gawd don't want to think about it what a team that would be if barca got Hummels.

Fucking hell barca fans are just so damn lucky atm.

TP, if Soto never plays for us again, it wasn't soon enough. Is Ayala good enough? Wisdom? Is he ready? Kelly? I like him...

Wilson needs a loan, badly.

I think we need to get rid of Soto and Danny Boy... We need one first choice CB to pair with Carragher with Skrtel backing them up.

This.

I've never seen him play, but we must sign this Hummells guy. Him and Carra as first choice pairing, Skrtel as 3rd choice, with Kelly also gradually moving into the centre providing further back up as well as covering at right back.

We definitely could do with a centre back coming in who is ideally going to start and put pressure on the other centre backs.

Carragher is on the decline, Skrtel is hit and miss and Agger generally injured. The Greek is of more use to the oppositon then ourselves.

I'm interested to see do KK & Clarke see Kelly as a future centre-back, I hope so anyway.