You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Charlie Adam

redsoxs

I think he would so we'll agree to disagree.

How many goals from corners have we scored in ten years? We are woeful at them

Our corner kick delivery does leave a lot to be desired. As for Charlie Adam and Blackpool, consider the manner in which many of those corners are earned. A ball played into the channels for a forward or winger to chase. He gets on the end of it and tries to beat the full-back and cross. The ball hits the full-back and spins out for a corner. Playing in this manner is very flawed and leads to a situation where a side lacks creativity or the urgency to make something happen from open play, and instead play for set pieces. Basically, something a side with ambitions of trophies and/or European competition should not be aspiring to.

I don't want a player in the team simply because he delivers a good corner kick, when the rest of his game compromises the rest of the team's effectiveness. That is just creating a new problem to fix an old one.

And it isn't enough to simply say that because Kenny and Comolli wanted him, that he's the right player for the club. He was deemed the right player when they looked at our squad in January and decided that for a reasonable outlay, he would offer a new option and possible improvement on what we had. That the reasonable outlay never materialised is not their fault, and it's not beyond the realms of possibility that they've continued to assess the squad and may decide Charlie Adam is no longer in the picture.

So was Adam the subject of Holloway's comment on MotD. He was asked about the team spirit he's forged at Blackpool, and he replied that they have a great team spirit at Blackpool, but it hasn't been there since January. He then added "I wonder why." At the time I thought it might have been a veiled pop at Oysten's January shennanigans.

Our corner kick delivery does leave a lot to be desired. As for Charlie Adam and Blackpool, consider the manner in which many of those corners are earned. A ball played into the channels for a forward or winger to chase. He gets on the end of it and tries to beat the full-back and cross. The ball hits the full-back and spins out for a corner. Playing in this manner is very flawed and leads to a situation where a side lacks creativity or the urgency to make something happen from open play, and instead play for set pieces. Basically, something a side with ambitions of trophies and/or European competition should not be aspiring to.

I don't want a player in the team simply because he delivers a good corner kick, when the rest of his game compromises the rest of the team's effectiveness. That is just creating a new problem to fix an old one.

And it isn't enough to simply say that because Kenny and Comolli wanted him, that he's the right player for the club. He was deemed the right player when they looked at our squad in January and decided that for a reasonable outlay, he would offer a new option and possible improvement on what we had. That the reasonable outlay never materialised is not their fault, and it's not beyond the realms of possibility that they've continued to assess the squad and may decide Charlie Adam is no longer in the picture.

Well however you play you get corners so scoring from the odd one would increase our chances by loads. How many goals to United get or Chelsea from corners?

I dont think the rest of his game would compromise the way we play.

We'll see wont we, when the window opens but I fully expect us to go back in for him.

If Blackpool go down he'll go for well cheaper than Ian Holloway thinks he will.

and did I say we'd play in such a way you mention? I'd expect him to be in a team with speed and width and he'd be pinging balls to them left right and centre, when a set piece pops up he takes it.

As far as I'm aware we're still in for him, and I'm looking forward to him joining. Hope the fee is sensible though. £5-£6 million seems about right to me. I like McCarthy and Parker as alternates, although they are both a bit different to Adam (and each other).