You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shelvey so far..

escapepods

So what do we all make of him so far? Personally, i have not been that impressed. Now, he is young, inexperienced and needs games, i understand that. But im judging him on what ive seen and he hasnt been that great.

What i do like about him is that he's clearly a confident lad and will try things others his age wouldn't dare (as a young Stevie G once did). He gets stuck in and isnt afraid to mix it up, good quality too.

However, he's currently well off the pace for the Premier League and struggles to keep up. He did well in the build up to the third goal on Saturday, but his pass also currently leaves alot to be desired, and he tends to lose the ball quite a bit.

Im just wondering why he's consistently being thrown in now. Kenny obviously sees something special in him, but have you? Im just kinda wondering why he always comes off the bench instead of the likes of Pacheco.

Whats your thoughts on Shelvey thus far?

I think he's been great. He makes the wrong decisions with the ball sometimes, but he's got a terrific attitude, he moves the ball around quickly, and he makes things difficult for opposition players too. He needs loads of polishing (and that's not a baldy joke), but I think he's a promising young player and Kenny clearly thinks so too.

I think he's been great. He makes the wrong decisions with the ball sometimes, but he's got a terrific attitude, he moves the ball around quickly, and he makes things difficult for opposition players too. He needs loads of polishing (and that's not a baldy joke), but I think he's a promising young player and Kenny clearly thinks so too.

Thus why he has all greens, and you have all reds Mr escapepods.

Didn´t see enough of him to judge him. I don´t watch reserves so I just saw his few sub appearances under Kenny and some game in Europa League.

But he looked very ordinary to me in that what I´ve seen. He has done more bad things that the good ones in those games. But still, he is fucking young.

He must have something in him when he seems to be Kenny´s first sub.

He's just a kid. He's acquitted himself well almost every time he's played, but he still he has a lot of learning to do. He's highly rated by the King it would seem. I'd play him ahead of Poulsen.

I said this in pre-season and I'll say it again now - I love the way he demands the ball. A very, very good trait to have.

I think its really difficult to give any judgement on the lad. When he was first being given a chance it was out on the wing, where he clearly isnt suited, and other than Saturday, all the other opportunities he's had have been in a disfunctional side.

All said though, I like the cut of his jib. His confidence is something we could do with spreading through the team. His set piece delivery is pretty good on the whole, which tells me his technique is good.

He's a young lad, so there will be massive inconsistencies, but on the whole he's done ok so far. Quite why he's getting so many games, i do wonder, as I think Pacheco could have been a spark we have needed a few times this season, even since Kenny's re-arrival.

Some good points lads.. as i said, his confidence and determination are second to none and way beyond his years. Thats an amazing thing for one so young, but ive gotta agree with Hades and Dracco, hes too raw and perhaps does more frustrating things than good things right now and i guess should be judged on that in the first team

So what do we all make of him so far? Personally, i have not been that impressed. Now, he is young, inexperienced and needs games, i understand that. But im judging him on what ive seen and he hasnt been that great.

What i do like about him is that he's clearly a confident lad and will try things others his age wouldn't dare (as a young Stevie G once did). He gets stuck in and isnt afraid to mix it up, good quality too.

However, he's currently well off the pace for the Premier League and struggles to keep up. He did well in the build up to the third goal on Saturday, but his pass also currently leaves alot to be desired, and he tends to lose the ball quite a bit.

Im just wondering why he's consistently being thrown in now. Kenny obviously sees something special in him, but have you? Im just kinda wondering why he always comes off the bench instead of the likes of Pacheco.

Whats your thoughts on Shelvey thus far?

Agreed, lack of pace is a worry.

I think its really difficult to give any judgement on the lad. When he was first being given a chance it was out on the wing, where he clearly isnt suited, and other than Saturday, all the other opportunities he's had have been in a disfunctional side.

All said though, I like the cut of his jib. His confidence is something we could do with spreading through the team. His set piece delivery is pretty good on the whole, which tells me his technique is good.

He's a young lad, so there will be massive inconsistencies, but on the whole he's done ok so far. Quite why he's getting so many games, i do wonder, as I think Pacheco could have been a spark we have needed a few times this season, even since Kenny's re-arrival.

Aye, thats what im getting at too mate

Not sure about Shelvey yet, not sure at all.

Agree with everyone's comments, so far, very, very, very raw, not doing much for me but Purslow fist clenchers and a few 'come on' shouts at senior players.

Don't mean to be harsh on him but he's well payed so lets pull no punches while also understanding there are no expectations upon him in terms of success, what I do judge him on is seeing him trying to do the right things even if they don't come off, I have not seen anything that makes me think 'ah, that's what he's about'.

So far as I can judge he seems to be a bit of the ald Stevie G 'hollywood pass' type but far less accurate. Even less accurate and more wasteful than Steve G was when he first come into the tea. He seems cocky in interviews about how many he will score but then doesn't seem to threaten on the pitch with any shots he's had so far but at least it gives the fans a souvenier to take home after the match.

He's not shown any special tackling ability, seems sluggishly slow with or without the ball, with a half dribble, I'm not obsessed with speed merchants anyway, what he can do though is pass and move so can see why he's getting chances.

He's got the right mentality but I'm not sure if he's actually go the ability, sure he will develop but I'm not sure how much. I thought when the likes of Danny Murphy came you could see a lot clearer what he was about, I feel this one is more David THompson/Mark Kennedy but we'll see. Predicting youngster success is hard but his mentality will go a long way.

Edited by dennis tooth

He’s going to be superb. And I mean that. He is going to be fucking superb. Two footed. Good reading of the game for one so young. Yes, he makes a number of cock ups and bad decisions but that is mainly because he has such faith in his own ability that he is willing to try the harder things to get the play doing as he learns. When you watch him make small movements and little runs to give other players the option to pass to him you can see he has a very good understanding already of the game. He’s going to be very big for us for a long time.

He’s going to be superb. And I mean that. He is going to be fucking superb. Two footed. Good reading of the game for one so young. Yes, he makes a number of cock ups and bad decisions but that is mainly because he has such faith in his own ability that he is willing to try the harder things to get the play doing as he learns. When you watch him make small movements and little runs to give other players the option to pass to him you can see he has a very good understanding already of the game. He’s going to be very big for us for a long time.

Bang on.

How much pace did Gary Mac have?

Dont think he will make it at this level. Serious lack of pace for one so young is a grave concern. Probably be good edition to any championship team, just lacks that natural ability in my opinion. Cant see him establishing himself as a regular, ever!

Good Job King Kenny thinks otherwise then:wallbutt:

This is what I wrote somewhere else.

I`ve not been very impressed and his lack of pace is a big worry for me, looks decent but with no real stand out qualities.

How much of Shelvey`s "talent" over the years have been actual size though?

Hehe I`m thinking along the lines that as a young player with the physical attributes Shelvey`s had he had had it easy but maybe he will struggle a bit more now because size will not really be an advantage at this level.

So the question is if he really is as talented as people said he was when we signed him?

And this is second part of my question though, could his size be the reason he has made as many senior appreances as he has instead of actual talent.

From the little I`ve seen he looks a solid player but a bit too slow for my liking.

With slow players I always try to look for other stand out qualities to make up for the lack of pace, I`m not sure Shelvey has these type of qualities and instead of becoming the new Steven Gerrard as some people suggested he could become I think the new Gareth Barry might be the target he should reach for, not a bad player by all means, but maybe not a supertsar in the making either.

Hopefully he will develop and he can prove me wrong though, but for me Pacheco is the one with the real potentional because he has got some of these stand out qualities but he obviously need playing time and that fast before he starts to stagnate.

So true ! I love that Kenny letting him get games ang playing time.

Lack of speed but have many other assets.

Shelvey's talent is that he has the vision and the technique to play quick, short and long penetrative passes. In open games or games stretched because of the clock running down that's a good thing.

His collective defence and game management (speed it up/slow it down, target the tiring LB etc) are not there yet. It will take a couple of years to add that. Will it happen? Who knows.

In the mean time using his high energy, enthusiasm and fearlessness late in the game makes perfect sense. If he gets the same type of graduated development Insua did with increasing opportunities and incrementally tougher challenges I think he'll do well. But he's not ready for much more at this point. He's a kid, only 18, he's probably still getting wood when he sees a bra strap.