You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at this appointment I could be wrong but could this be a sign the owners have a coach they have in mind that would happily work in this new environment of the Director of Football analysing the players to buy and the coach working with him and then being happy to coach the players from then on.

I cant see how Hodgson will like this move.

Hopefully DiMatteo.

Well judging by the last three summers something needed to change and I am willing to give it a go.

Very, very true.

I have this feeling that Dalglish has a strong position within the club. Nothing related to this appointment like but just been thinking about how the structure of the club could change and i can only see Dalglish's role getting more and more powerful within the club.

For God knows how long - every man and his dog have been barking on about how we should be signing young players and giving them a go, developing them ourselves etc etc

Now it looks like - in accordance with NESV's stated policy - we might be bringing someone into the club who has a decent track record in this very area and some people still aren't happy.

If he can come up with a couple like a few of Wenger's early purchases (Anelka & Vieira to name but 2) he may well do the trick.

Either way I see it as a positive move and better than handing the kitty to Royston.

Hopefully DiMatteo.

Well it would almost be certain we would end up with a european coach, british managers dont seem to like this approach to football, hence why i cant see Hodgson liking this, after 35 years in football for our owners to say were appointing Damien to oversea buying players, the first thing that could be going through his head is, after 35 years in football, i am not trusted to buy players?!?!

This move for me proves that Hodgson will get at the most, the summer and then they will do their own thing and appoint their own coach who will come to the club more than happy under this new strategy.

Add: if he is appointed director of football, it is said the only way it can work if you have a quality manager in and a good relationship between d of football and the manager.

Typical overwrought reactions on here. We don't even know what his job description is, or what he is tasked with.

For all we know he is replacing Macia, the man who thought Aquilani was "better than Xabi Alonso". In which case trebles all round!

on ten times the salary?

its pretty clear what the owners want there going to bring there own redsox business model into our club.

This can work only if Damien and Didier (or whoever else) can work together and want to work together.

As long as the teams results are down to the manager and the players signings are down the DOF from a repsonsibillity point of view than I dont have a problem with it.

Well, what we do know is that Hodgson has been poor in the transfer market, with Konchesky and Poulsen both a waste of money.

Looking at the list of players Comolli signed, many of them would improve this Liverpool team. So, without wanting to go overboard one way or the other, this move gets cautious approval from me.

Of course, it will make most sense when we see who the manager will be after Roy. If it ends up being a bright young manager like Deschamps, and he is already in on this decision and confering with Comolli about player recruitment behind the scenes, while he finishes the season in France, then so much the better.

Interesting times.

interesting one this, as someone said above things havent exactly been working well these last few years so im keen to see how this works out

im also keen to know who identified him as an addition, I wasnt expecting anything like this due to the lack of a football man in the management structure as it stands

Why do the champions of this country have a DOF if it doesn't work?

They had him when they werent winning the league under pervious boss's.

Maybe the board want a vetting process because they wont have a clue who's good and who's shite on any list.

I can see that but I just dont like it one bit.

For me, the manager is the one who lives and dies by his decisions.

EDIT. if he's signing the players, ie pure admin fair enough but I dont like the idea of any Liverpool manager being lumped with players he didnt want.

Seems we'll be signing youth too from now on.

They had him when they werent winning the league under pervious boss's.

Maybe the board want a vetting process because they wont have a clue who's good and who's shite on any list.

I can see that but I just dont like it one bit.

For me, the manager is the one who lives and dies by his decisions.

For me the manager is the one who wins games and usually has a damn good backroom staff. I love the way Sevilla do things and Monchi is a football god and more important than any manager they've ever had.

If we go down a similar route you'll hear no complaints from me and in fact it's good to see that NESV are aware we've already been left behind in this respect and are looking to put it right to a degree.

Doing it "the English way" didn't work out so great with Royston to be fair.

For God knows how long - every man and his dog have been barking on about how we should be signing young players and giving them a go, developing them ourselves etc etc

Now it looks like - in accordance with NESV's stated policy - we might be bringing someone into the club who has a decent track record in this very area and some people still aren't happy.

If he can come up with a couple like a few of Wenger's early purchases (Anelka & Vieira to name but 2) he may well do the trick.

Either way I see it as a positive move and better than handing the kitty to Royston.

That's just how it is. We used to complain about not having an attacking right back in Arbeloa, we bought Johnson and now we complain about not having a full back able to defend. It's the same with transfers; we don't have enough talents, but when we invest time in young players playing in the first team we complain that they are not good enough yet (Lucas, N'Gog, etc).

Catch22 in many of the discussions, and what some people need to understand is that an offensive full back will be at the cost of defence, a talented player will be at the cost of a settled experienced player, and so on. You can't win over everyone until we are on top of the league after 38 games, and the only way to get there is to invest time, build from the ground, ignore those who want 6 world class players in January, settle for maybe one per trasnfer window and win the league in 5-10 years. Everything else is unrealistic in todays climate as we can't compete with City and Chelsea (money) and Man U and Arsenal (foundation). That's the fact of the situation, so the only area we can be competitive in, is the inveztment of time.

Well no surprises there I was pretty certain such an appointment would be made it is the only logic decision to make considering they have little knowledge of the football industry.

One of the main issues the club will have to get right is people in the structure knowing their limitations ie you would never get a someone like Comolli advising on tactics. Alternatively you should never get a manager asking for a player who has certain attributes but getting another.

The only one thing that worries me is he has had a few jobs if we get someone in this role it needs to be for the longhaul.

What's happened before with the attempts at DoF roles, is that the DoF were brought in over the heads of the current managers who then kicked up. They didn't generally get along with each other as it was seen to be taking away their power and ultimately led to insecurity. Redknapp refused to work in that environment.

The sensible thing to do is have a DoF and manager who are most compatible and working together rather than against each other. This may mean that the DoF actually chooses the manager, or at least has a say in choosing him, and is part of the interview process if there is to be one, so the incoming manager will know from the start what system and environment they're working under.

The more harmony in the system and ultimately the club, the better. We're in a position where we've got new owners, who will have looked at what's gone before them and look at what they know of thier own sport and see an opportunity for sweeping changes. An opportunity to start something new, but start it off on the correct footing and build from there.

That, for me, removes Hodgson from the equation, as he will not be part of a progressive building structure - him having 35 years experience and all, he'll hardly want to be told what to do. Not that the owners have any more faith in him than we do, to do it anyway. But the sooner the better the new team is in place, and so rather than starting next summer and having 2011-12 as their starting season, they can take the rest of this season to get their grounding in the league, if that is what a new foreign manager needs to do.

A new manager who will work well with and give proper chances to the emerging talent we already have, such as Pacheco, Amoo, Wilson, Shelvey and many more is also vital. This is not Hodgson's strong point, and has made no secret in the past, of his view towards young players.

Guest davelfc
paul_tomkins Paul Tomkins

John W Henry keen to get back to buying younger players on their way up (Torres, Reina) than on their way down. Hence Comolli's arrival.

We can only hope he feels in a similar mood about managers then.

For me the manager is the one who wins games and usually has a damn good backroom staff. I love the way Sevilla do things and Monchi is a football god and more important than any manager they've ever had.

If we go down a similar route you'll hear no complaints from me and in fact it's good to see that NESV are aware we've already been left behind in this respect and are looking to put it right to a degree.

Doing it "the English way" didn't work out so great with Royston to be fair.

Its the British way and it works more than it doesnt hence DOF's being so unpopular

We are Liverpool not Sevilla.