You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Traveling help.

James

Hi,

I'd like your help on this choice I will have to make in a couple of days.

I turn 18 in February and as a present from my parents, I can pick a destination for the holidays, anywhere on the planet. (Easter break or Summer break, it's my decision)

So I'd like to know which place you guys would recommend.

Thanks in advance.

Jesus Christ, is this what's expected for an 18th present these days? My eldest turns 18 next year and he'll be getting a hundred quid and a shitty plastic key in a box. I'll be paying his arse through university for the next 3 years. He can buy his own holidays when he's paying his own tax.

PS. I always fancied South America.

Jesus Christ, is this what's expected for an 18th present these days? My eldest turns 18 next year and he'll be getting a hundred quid and a shitty plastic key in a box. I'll be paying his arse through university for the next 3 years. He can buy his own holidays when he's paying his own tax.

Ha ha that's exactly what I got for my 18th. Ace!

Ask for a raincheck till you are 21 then the States would be good. New York, Chicago, Vegas etc would be great. If you have to go now, Berlin, Barcelona (though I prefer Valencia), Amsterdam would be good for an 18th
Are you a mental?

Yeah cheers mum and dad, I won't have that awesome present for 3 years because it doesn't suit drinking in America.

And then to suggest Amsterdam? Don't get me wrong, it's ace there but that's 2 weeks of temp work to pay for Amsterdam, may as well go somewhere further afield.

James, ignore this guy's post, he is wrong.

In Thailand, you can hire a motorbike for about £3 a day and fill her up for a £1. Then you drive to a secluded beach or get a massage, or some delicious food for very little.

Go out in the night time and drink from buckets

I still have to go with my parents and sister, though. It's not like I can go alone or with friends or something.

Cheers for the recommendations, guys. Appreciate it. Some people said I should go to Japan. So I'm definitely thinking of going to Asia now, Remmie. Although Argentina sounds like a good shout, as well. Amsterdam is like an hour from here with the train and I've been there a few times. Not really planning on going there. And Melons, I'll ask them. (;

Anywhere on the planet? If somebody offered me that I'd be saying balls to anywhere you can get an easy flight to and there is anything resembling home. If I were you I'd be researching West Africa, the Amazon, Middle East, North Korea, Nepal or going across Russia on the Trans-Siberian railway. Promise me you will not follow everyone else and waste this opportunity.

I got a trip to Liverpool and Amsterdam for my 18th. Aswell as an engraved watch.

You're just a tightarse Liz ;)

I still have to go with my parents and sister, though. It's not like I can go alone or with friends or something.

That changes everything. If I was you, I would chose Tokyo since you have to go with your family. Tehran is also a brilliant city to visit, surprisingly but its not really a family place.

Cheers for the recommendations, guys. Appreciate it. Some people said I should go to Japan. So I'm definitely thinking of going to Asia now, Remmie. Although Argentina sounds like a good shout, as well. Amsterdam is like an hour from here with the train and I've been there a few times. Not really planning on going there. And Melons, I'll ask them. (;

Jammy bastard.

Brazil has never interested me as much as the rest of South America has. Mainly because they dont speak Spanish.

I'd love to do the trip that Che Guevara did around Latin America.

Northern Brazil is class, the coastal area between Belem at the mouth of the Amazon down to Salvador is awesome. I got a boat from Iquitos in Peru along the entire Amazon River over two weeks sleeping in a hammock on the deck. The language difference did come as a shock, hard language Portuguese. I thought Chile and Uruguay were a bit boring.

I've just been laid off, and as of totday I'm unemployed. So, I've just bought a one way ticket to Mombasa leaving start of October. Gonna travel down through Tanzania, Zanzibar, Rwanda and go to the Lake of Stars Music Festival in Malawi for the 15th-17th October (ran by the fella who runs Chibuku Shake Shake), then go to Mozambique, Zambia, Ethiopia and Madagascar afterwards for a month or two until I get another job.

vinspired Lake Of Stars Malawi Music Festival

Northern Brazil is class' date=' the coastal area between Belem at the mouth of the Amazon down to Salvador is awesome. [b']I got a boat from Iquitos in Peru along the entire Amazon River over two weeks sleeping in a hammock on the deck.[/b] The language difference did come as a shock, hard language Portuguese. I thought Chile and Uruguay were a bit boring.

Yerma, did you/can you do something similar in Laos, think I got told about this by a mate, but I've had a sleep and a drink since so it's a vague memory.

I fucking love the thought of sleeping in a hammock on the deck of a boat while travelling through a country.

Yerma, did you/can you do something similar in Laos, think I got told about this by a mate, but I've had a sleep and a drink since so it's a vague memory.

I fucking love the thought of sleeping in a hammock on the deck of a boat while travelling through a country.

Yeah, I've done it. I went from Chang Rai in northern Thailand and crossed the border with Laos, you get on a barge and go along the Mekong River for two days, stopping off at a village called Pakbeng for the night, which as I recall was full weed, opium and local moonshine, Laos Laos, which blows your head off. Carried on the next moring before arriving in Luang Prabang that night. Proper Apocolapse Now stuff as the river weaves its way through the mountainous jungle. Get the slow boat, don't get the express one. Met loads of mates on there and I'm still in contact with them.

Northern Brazil is class' date=' the coastal area between Belem at the mouth of the Amazon down to Salvador is awesome. I got a boat from Iquitos in Peru along the entire Amazon River over two weeks sleeping in a hammock on the deck. The language difference did come as a shock, hard language Portuguese. I thought Chile and Uruguay were a bit boring.

I've just been laid off, and as of totday I'm unemployed. So, I've just bought a one way ticket to Mombasa leaving start of October. Gonna travel down through Tanzania, Zanzibar, Rwanda and go to the Lake of Stars Music Festival in Malawi for the 15th-17th October (ran by the fella who runs Chibuku Shake Shake), then go to Mozambique, Zambia, Ethiopia and Madagascar afterwards for a month or two until I get another job.

vinspired Lake Of Stars Malawi Music Festival

Boring Bastard.

Guest TesticleOReilly

Can travel any way you like if you're willing to pay a few dollars more.

bitchnamngum5.jpg

bitchnamngum4.jpg

bitchnamngum3.jpg

As Yerma said, it can get a bit Apocalypse. 'specially the bombs that are still lying around, like that one above.

bitchnamngum2.jpg

bitchnamngum1.jpg

Yeah' date=' I've done it. I went from Chang Rai in northern Thailand and crossed the border with Laos, you get on a barge and go along the Mekong River for two days, stopping off at a village called Pakbeng for the night, which as I recall was full weed, opium and local moonshine, Laos Laos, which blows your head off. Carried on the next moring before arriving in Luang Prabang that night. Proper Apocolapse Now stuff as the river weaves its way through the mountainous jungle. Get the slow boat, don't get the express one. Met loads of mates on there and I'm still in contact with them.[/quote']

Can travel any way you like if you're willing to pay a few dollars more.

bitchnamngum5.jpg

bitchnamngum4.jpg

bitchnamngum3.jpg

As Yerma said, it can get a bit Apocalypse. 'specially the bombs that are still lying around, like that one above.

bitchnamngum2.jpg

bitchnamngum1.jpg

You fuckers!!!! That sounds and looks superb. You do realise I'll be stalking you round the forum for advice and tips from now on don't you.

Mainly here http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/gf-general-forum/73170-travelling.html page 6 onwards is where you'll be helping me out.