You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Roy Hodgson Thread

BexBissel

Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?  

346 members have voted

1. 1. Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?

Guest Pistonbroke
No not really as I`m home from work with high fever and a terrible cough.

Do us and yourself a favour and get tucked up in bed.

Get well soon ;)

I was sitting on the fence about this for ages, but I've put no.

"No", not because I'm one of the ones slagging him off already before he's through the door (if indeed it happens), but because of all of the other problems that managing us will bring. Has he ever dealt with a club in this much turmoil? Has he had to deal with owners like ours? Yes, Al Fayed is a bit if a dick but he's nowhere near the twat radar that those two fuckers are bang in the middle of.

His previous record- while Roy Hodgson is well travelled and seemingly universally respected, his record doesn't exactly spring off the page. This will easily be the biggest job he's ever had and will he be able to cope? I'm not sure. He seems like a decent feller, but decent fellers who are also legendary managers are few and far between.

He's not only got the weight of history on his shoulders here, but the weight of expectation and the weight of debt. Possibly he'll have to oversee a clearout that will rob us of our best players, and he'll then always be associated with that.

I like him as a man. I respect what he's done, especially at Fulham. His achievements there have been well deserved. But with all due respect this is Liverpool Football Club, and crisis or not, we are infinitely bigger than Fulham.

I hope that I am wrong. I hope that the reason why he's always been so defensive minded and negative in the tactical sense is because he's never had the attacking players of the calibre of Torres and Gerrard, and so maybe he'll be able to show fluent, positive football and restore some pride and optimism in our battered and bruised club. I genuinely hope that, if he becomes the manager, he proves everybody wrong and does the business.

See this here? It's called a "whelmed" and I'm 50,000 leagues under it.

Ha ha made me laugh anyway.

I'll vote no, because we sacked a manager who dropped his team 5 places in the league, then we look to hire one who dropped his team 6 places. Genius.

In terms of mediocrity I could vote yes as that suits the owners. But this should not be about the owners it should about the long term success on the field and Roy Hodgson does not represent good business in my opinion nice fella and all but where I believe we should be looking to improve on last seasons 7th, we are not going to do that under Roy, and by improving I mean back in the top 3.

To be honest, the only way is up. We finished fucking 7th and we're Liverpool. Roy Hodgson nearly got fucking Fulham to 7th. I say, give him a chance to prove his worth.

He kept Fulham up with all odds stacked against them, gave them a fantastic 9th place finish in his 2nd season and came within a whisker of winning the Europa league in his 3rd. He really worked wonders with Fulham and spent hardly any money in the transfer market.

Across the world he has done good jobs practically everywhere he has been. I'm not saying that he will be a long-term amazing manager, but he should regain stability and pride back to this football club.

All the best Roy!!!!

Can you explain why this post wasn't made at this time last year (or when it became obvious we weren't spending what we were bringing in)?

I have repeatedly posted since registering that the club will not be able to move forward until Hicks and Gillett leave the club.

Guest ian garro
I have repeatedly posted since registering that the club will not be able to move forward until Hicks and Gillett leave the club.

That's not what he's saying though Steve, is it ?

He's not the man I wanted. He's not the man most of us wanted. But, as long as he's our man, I'll support him.

Well said.

My main worry is less that he hasn't shown fluent attacking football at Fulham, as i think managers tailor their style to the resources they have and Hodgson hardly had a great deal to work with at Fulham. My fear is that he's on a hiding to nothing, being not a large enough name to inspire confidence in the players and halt an exodus and thus rather than him being raised to the level of the club, the club falls to his level with a lesser calibre of squad starting the new season and we play simply not to be beaten away as Fulham did. With the state of finances giving no room for error regarding transfers and player confidence low, we need a truly exceptional manager to hold things together and as nice as he is, i just don't think Roy is that man.

Don't you feel even a little hypocritical, Stevie?

How I have been hypocritical?

I personally feel that rather than posting half a dozen "Fuck off Roy Hodgson" threads, we would be better off focusing our efforts on the owners and the banks at a time when perhaps they haven't signed the 12 month extension to the refinancing yet.

All wound the Fields of Anfield Woad

Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and he could play)

We had Heighway on the wing

We had dweams and songs to sing

Of the glowy wound the Fields of Anfield Woad

We all dweam of a team of cawwagers

a team of cawwagers

a team of cawwagers

I promised myself I wouldn't do that.

I for one am glad that you did.

He'll have no trouble with YNWA though. Lots of "w"s in there.

These.

Well spotted. I also sent Hicks and Gillett an email once, so perhaps I might have also had strong views on the ownership situation as well?

I am not suggesting you don't. You can probably think about more than 1 thing at once.

So what's the point of this thread then? You can't have it both ways.

Steve, you started a "Next Liverpool Manager" thread in April, before Benitez had even gone.

Do you think you "we are all taking our eye off the ball and losing sight of the main issue" when you did so? Your words.

I did include myself if you read through the read.

But also if you check through my sent items on Microsoft Outlook you will see how many emails I have sent to RBS, Barclays Capital, The Premier League and the owners for several years now as well.

I don't doubt you have, but did you start a new thread imploring people to stop talking about the manager? If not, why are you doing that now? Particularly seeing as though we're now likely to get what will be an inferior manager (don't get me wrong, I've nothing against Hodgson and think he deserves a crack at a bigger club).

"No", not because I'm one of the ones slagging him off already before he's through the door (if indeed it happens), but because of all of the other problems that managing us will bring. Has he ever dealt with a club in this much turmoil? Has he had to deal with owners like ours? Yes, Al Fayed is a bit if a dick but he's nowhere near the twat radar that those two fuckers are bang in the middle of.

Has any manager had to deal with owners like ours?

Roy was incharge of Inter when they were struggling. I would also say Fulham were struggling when he took over.