You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

iPhone OS4

Caramac

This will be the reason I choose an iPhone instead of a BlackBerry in 5 months.

Everytime mate, I had the same decision to make back in January decided to get the iPhone 3gs and never looked back, got a few mates with a BlackBerry can't say I'm to impressed.

Everytime mate, I had the same decision to make back in January decided to get the iPhone 3gs and never looked back, got a few mates with a BlackBerry can't say I'm to impressed.

I've got the iTouch and a few mates with the iPhone, and am happy with my choice of BB. However, with this OS4 coming out, the iPhone will now be better for me.

Guest davelfc

Having watched the keynote, it looks pretty good. I was worried about loss of battery life and the phone slowing down. But it appears Apple have sorted this, so in that respect it will have been worth some of the wait.

I've been moving slowly away from jailbreaking, buying the apps I tend to use after a short testing period.

Yesterday I upgraded to 3.1.3, the upgrade does nothing for me but it now means I have to run without being Jailbroken and the upgrade to OS4 will be painless.

I've got the iTouch and a few mates with the iPhone, and am happy with my choice of BB. However, with this OS4 coming out, the iPhone will now be better for me.

I started our with the itouch and was really made up with it, I decided to

upgrade so I could browse the net on the move. I also prefer the bigger screen on the itouch/iPhone. Not read much about the new OS is it worth having a read about?

Will the 3g & 3gs get any camera upgrade? I just saw that 5x zoom thing in the top piccy.

I'm not that arsed about anything else. I'll get a 4g when i'm due an upgrade at the end of the year. As far as I'm concerned my 3g is a massive leap forward from my previous phones, I'm still more than happy with it. Except for the camera, that's the weak link for me. At least 5mp and zoom is needed next time.

I started our with the itouch and was really made up with it, I decided to

upgrade so I could browse the net on the move. I also prefer the bigger screen on the itouch/iPhone. Not read much about the new OS is it worth having a read about?

3 things were the turning point for me.

1. Multitasking. I was never going to get one until they added this.

2. Folders. The BBs have folders and it's a lot easier to use when stuff is grouped.

3. Mail in one box. Infinitely easier to use like this on the BB.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Surely it should take no more than ten minutes? I thought you had a Blackberry, Cris?

It's on my iTouch.

Whaaa? You taking the piss? You've left it plugged in updating for two days? Nutter.

Plug it out and plug it back in.

I did that when it didn't update on Thursday night after about 4 hours. I've worked out it's due to finish about 3am now, so I'll just have to get up an hour early.

If it's Jailbroken, it won't make a difference will it?

It's on my iTouch.

I did that when it didn't update on Thursday night after about 4 hours. I've worked out it's due to finish about 3am now, so I'll just have to get up an hour early.

If it's Jailbroken, it won't make a difference will it?

It might make a difference because it fucks with the software and firmware in the phone. You might have to restore it to defaults, upgrade to OS4, then jailbreak it again.

Or use a jailbroken copy of OS4 if you're not already.

Was there waiting for me when I got home with 4.0.2 on, but it can't be Jailbroken! Any way of getting it back to 4.0.1?

Yes mate. You need to download 4.0.1 from somewhere like here:

iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download

...and then in iTunes (phone summary view) hold shift, click 'Restore' and you can select 4.0.1 from the download location. It's an .ispw file.

Apparently, Apple are not signing the 4.0/4.0.1 firmware anymore, so shift-restore to downgrade won't work on the 3G Touch. If it's been Jb'ed before, your SHSH blobs should be backed up via Cydia so it just means a little sleight of hand to downgrade again.

Downgrade from iOS4 to 3.1.* (requires SHSH blobs) - iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad forum - Multi-Touch Fans

Explains most of it.