You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Next Liverpool Manager

StevieH

Hodgson, Pellegrini, Deschamps & Rijkaard for the next LFC Manager?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Hodgson, Pellegrini, Deschamps & Rijkaard for the next LFC Manager?

If he comes he has my support. He deserves that. Show us what you can do Roy.

The disquiet before he gets here is over whether the job will be beyond him. Time will tell on that front, and if appointed, he deserves the chance to show what he can do.

The other bone of contention is whether or not this signals a sell off by having a 'lesser' manager in place who might just be happy to get the Liverpool job, and will thus let the owners asset strip the place unhindered. If that happens, it is not Roy's fault.

G&H out.

he's not going to be manager though is he, he's going to be coach which will make a big difference. Rafa will be our last proper manager or a very long time.

Rafa was an out and out coach and tactician. And tremendous at it as well. Houllier was more of a manager than Rafa was.

I actually really enjoyed listening to him on the BBC coverage, he's an intelligent man. I think he'll suprise people here.

Well it seems Most people are expecting him to fuck up big time so, anything better than that is a plus!

Good luck Roy your going to need it

Guest simon

Roy has my backing hes clever and will surprise everyone dissing him.Pisses me off though how people are more concerned about him taking over than they are the owners.

Roy has my backing hes clever and will surprise everyone dissing him.Pisses me off though how people are more concerned about him taking over than they are the owners.

That's it though mate, the yanks and purslow have done this for that exact reason. Get everyone talking/worrying/moaning about the new manager as it takes the focus off us for abit!

There will be a takeover just not for a good while in my opinion, not unless someone fancy putting Hicks to sleep!

It feels strange, I hate him more that I ever thought It possible to hate someone and I have never even

met the fella, strange really.

Apparently this is a piece John Aldridge has done for a paper and magazine in Northern Ireland -

I WONDER whether Kenny Dalglish threw his hat in the ring to be the next Liverpool manager when it became clear that several leading candidates for the job were unwilling to take on the challenge at Anfield.

Kenny was initially charged with finding a manager willing to step into Rafael Benitez's shoes, but it may not be so easy to entice a top manager at a time when Liverpool are teetering on the brink of financial meltdown.

Someone like Guus Hiddink would probably view a move to Liverpool as a risk at this moment, so there is a case to suggest Kenny would be a good man to fill the void at Anfield on a temporary basis.

As I have suggested before, Kenny is not the permanent answer to Liverpool's problems and yet the respect he commands from all associated with the club means he could step in on a temporary basis until the boardroom situation is resolved.

The surprise for me is that he seems so keen to take on the challenge as we have seen what can happen when a club legend returns as manager and things don't quite work out.

Graeme Souness was one of the all-time great Liverpool players, but his legacy at Anfield was severely damaged by his troubled stint as manager, as many supporters view his tenure in charge as the beginning of the club's fall from the top.

If Dalglish was only a stop-gap manager until new owners came in, the fans would be more tolerant if results did not go his way, but he would not have anywhere near the luxuries he was blessed with during his first stint as Liverpool boss.

At the back end of the 1980s, Kenny had the easiest job in management because he just had to tell us to go out and play our own game as we were a far better team than our opponents week in week out.

He was never a tea-cup thrower and rarely raised his voice to us in the dressing room because we tended to have games in control by half-time and he never needed to lose his temper.

It was a job any novice coach would have loved and I often reflected on how fortunate Kenny had been to start his managerial career with that group of players. It was a very different task to the one I had in my first post as a coach at Tranmere, let me tell you.

However, a big rebuilding job is required at Liverpool now and one concern I have about the idea of a short-term managerial appointment is that he would not have the authority to implement the sort of changes that are required.

Plenty of players need to be shipped out this summer and several more will need to come in. Also, Kenny would be tested to the full if he tried to get the seventh best team in the Premier League back to the top without the sort of budget he needs.

Clearly the chief aim for whoever takes over at Liverpool must be trying to convince Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres to stay and I don't know whether Kenny's appointment on a short-term basis would see those two commit their futures to the club.

One of the main reasons why Benitez had to go in the end was it became clear he had lost the dressing room, with the negative body language we saw from Gerrard and Torres confirming as much time and again last season.

From what i have been told,Top stars were going to leave Anfield this summer if Benitez had remained in charge and when that became clear, a change had to be made. I suspect several Liverpool players were more pleased than most when it was confirmed that the manager had been paid off.

Maybe Benitez could help him out by taking the crap players he signed with him to Inter Milan, with Lucas, Emiliano Insua, Albert Riera top of my list if he decides to come raiding for his Anfield flops, but I don't suspect we will be that lucky.

Fair play to Rafa for throwing £96,000 into the Hillsborough memorial pot as his parting gift to the club, but when you consider he walked away with between £3-6m in compensation and ends up as manager of the reigning European champions, it still wasn't a bad few days all round for the Spaniard.

He has left behind a club in a real mess and some of that is down to his own mismanagement, so whoever fills his boots has a massive job on their hands.

If Dalglish takes it on, he will be putting his Liverpool legacy on the line.

Guest The Chimp

Disappointing that from Aldo. Maybe it's just me, but there seems a tinge of bitterness there. Downplaying Kenny's managerial achievements, Benitez's gesture to the HJC and the Yanks role in the club being "in a real mess" is poor form from a player I've a lot of repsect for.

Guest The Chimp
fuck aldo. shitcunt.

He doesn't (in my opinion) cover himself in much glory in the article Heinze, but he's a decent fella is Aldo and deserves better than what you've put mate. That said, I'm pretty sure what you wrote was simply knee-jerk and down to disappointment rather than your real feelings on him?

While I think Aldo hasn’t worded that too well, most of what he says is fairly to the point.

Kenny’s job at Liverpool was pretty much as good as it could get at the start. The club was very well run, we had an experienced squad used to winning things and he had Bob Paisley the greatest manager of all time as an advisor. He didn’t have to pull out any miracles. To be fair to Kenny, he then pulled off three brilliant pieces of transfer business getting Aldo, Beardsley and Barnes when we sold Rush.

Look at the Chelsea job in recent years as well, the difference in performance between Mourinho, Grant, Hiddink and Ancelotti is very slight, they all challenged for the league, FA cup and got to the sharp end of the Champions League.

Also I’ll wager Pep Guardiola wouldn’t have had done such a good job in his first managerial appointment at Barca were the club not stocked with great players and extremely well run.

All of that is a round about way of saying we need to be properly run from the top down before we can really consider any long term success, which is pretty much what Aldo is on about.

Guest The Chimp

Jose, I love Aldo and like you don't doubt that what he want's is the same as all of us, but that's a fucking poor interview in all honesty mate.

Maybe it could be just as simple as Aldridge being a fan all his life doesn't want Kenny as manager and doesn't have any hidden motives at all.

Oh do fuck off.

Independent thought, indeed.

Not scooping the last crumb of cack out of Rafa's hoop = CUNT.

Fact.

Oh do fuck off.

Independent thought, indeed.

Not scooping the last crumb of cack out of Rafa's hoop = CUNT.

Fact.

You know, you can be a right twat sometimes!

Unnecessarily as well. Rafa has gone, you really need to get over it!