You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Are defence looked solid(er) against Everton and we grinded out a result!

RafaLaBamba

Reading through the match report on this site, from the first paragraph you could tell it was going to be a big moan - no matter what the la said who wrote it. We won the derby and we also kept a clean sheet, which for us is nigh on impossible this season.

After having a couple of days to reflect on the Derby success I can understand the point of view from people that it was an ugly win, but come on, in a derby it rarely is beautiful. Everton, to thier credit, didn't give us much time and space throughout the match, to make the openings that we would have liked. That is the main reason I feel that we did struggle in some parts of the match. I admit that the team Rafa fielded was a compact side without much creativity, but I genuinely think that we couldn't have fielded a better side than we did.

Injuries to Torres, Aquilani and Benayoun left us without the flair that so many fans crave. This is the reason why we found it so hard at times to break Everton down - because we didn't have an answer. When you are missing the quality of the 3 players we had out of the starting line-up, you are bound to see a detrimental affect on the team.

The facts are that we won the game 2-0 with a weak Liverpool side. Many will argue that we got a bit lucky with the Reina saves, but when you have a great - and i mean GRRRRereat - keeper like Pepe, he will make match winning saves like that. We could have had 4 goals ourselves - if you are going to talk about chances. Insua had a header brilliantly saved before half time and Riera had a chance at the end too.

I think that the negativity had been building up in a lot of people after going out of the champions league in midweek, so I just dread to think what people would have been saying if we had lost against Everton!

In Rafa we (still) trust!:thumbup:

Its overall a rather young defence with little experience working together, its going to take a month or so of consistancy but if we can keep the back line fit it will be a very good back line.

Johnson has already said that tactically he is learning so much more than previously so getting such an understanding of the game will come and if someone such as Johnson is reffering to being so uneducated then it's no surprise Insua has had problems considering his age.

Considering the type of football everton played i thought we handle it pretty well, the only thing that could have helped was our confidence if we had more confidence with the ball we would have certainly kept it for longer periods of time which would have eased the pressure on the defence.

This week hopefully the players will get fitter and rested as well as having more confidence in themselves which should help greatly.

Defence got more confident as game progressed after a shaky start. Still leave too many unmarked/unchallenged headers. Thought Rafa switched things nicely at half to stop Pienaar and Russian bloke from getting good posession so that balls in to the box became easier to deal with.