You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alonso in Juve hint

Glen C

Sky Sports | Football | Premier League | Liverpool | Alonso in Juve hint

Liverpool star Xabi Alonso has indicated he would still consider a move to Juventus even though the Italian giants turned down the chance to sign him in the summer.

Alonso was strongly linked with a switch to Turin as Liverpool were open to offers for the Spaniard as they chased Aston Villa's Gareth Barry.

The 26-year-old ended up staying at Anfield after Juve refused to meet Liverpool's asking price and Liverpool failed to agree a deal for Barry.

Juve coach Claudio Ranieri aimed a swipe at Alonso earlier this month explaining he did not sign the former Real Sociedad man because he was too slow.

Alonso says he bears no grudge against Juventus for signing Christian Poulsen instead of him and admits he would still be interested in a move to the Bianconeri if they came calling again for his services.

"To be honest, for my part, the attraction (to Juventus) has remained intact," Alonso told Gazzetta dello Sport.

"One thing I can say is that I personally appreciated the honesty of the club executives.

"They told me their tactics on the pitch were different and that is why they chose Poulsen and not me.

"These are things that happen in football and it's fine. I could have gone but I didn't because, in the end, they chose someone else.

"Juventus are Juventus, the most prestigious club in Italy, but you cannot be disappointed when you play for Liverpool."

Target

Meanwhile, reports emanating from Spain suggest Valencia have made Alonso one of their top transfer targets for next season.

Valencia coach Unai Emery is thought to be a big admirer of the Euro 2008 winner and he has put Alonso at the top of his shopping list.

Valencia sporting director Fernando Gomez refused to confirm the club's interest in Alonson but admitted Alonso would be a valuable addition to any squad.

"The club has not stopped at this moment because it is always important to study the chances of the transfer market, but it is our custom not to speak about possible players," Gomez told skysports.com.

"Nobody would deny Alonso is a big player and very valuable for any club."

Guest PaddyBerger15

This is a nothing story. Some mush will have asked Xabi would he ever consider a move to Juve one day if circumstances were right and he will have just said yes, I found them to be fine in my dealings with them and they are a great club....which they are.

This is a nothing story. Some mush will have asked Xabi would he ever consider a move to Juve one day if circumstances were right and he will have just said yes, I found them to be fine in my dealings with them and they are a great club....which they are.

It's like the "Torres to quit Liverpool" story in the Mirror yesterday. Basically if Rafa leaves then Torres could too apparently. Jeesh.

I read that as: Give me a contract extension.

Correct.

Also, the Poulsen thing; they told him they're tactics were to play through a far inferior, yard-dog?

That said, after the summer, you can't blame him for keeping one eye on the market.

Its more tabloid bollocks.

I think the bits from Carras book printed in the paper proved more then ever how manipulative and sly they can be in editing stories. One in particular which stuck in my head was the article which included the bit about when Benitez said he told the press Carra was better then Terry and done the Pinnochio mime to say he was lying and then Carra said "Well I told them you're a better manager then Mourinho" before doing a similar mime. And that's were the story ended and I was left wondering if perhaps there was tension between Carra and Rafa after that.

The article cleverly left out the following line, also the last line of the paragraph, which said "Rafa took the joke".

Thought he was finished in summer and I would'nt have been to dissapointed to see him leave, but Hes playing well since the start of season so maybe it gave him the kick up the ass he needed and is now begining to look like the world class midfilelder he was in 2005! Delighted he stayed now and is doing well, starts chipping in with a few goals and we have a hell of a player.

Thought he was finished in summer and I would'nt have been to dissapointed to see him leave, but Hes playing well since the start of season so maybe it gave him the kick up the ass he needed and is now begining to look like the world class midfilelder he was in 2005! Delighted he stayed now and is doing well, starts chipping in with a few goals and we have a hell of a player.

Finished? In his mid twenties and finished?

xabi alonso is, and will continue to be one of the best midfielders in europe. to get rid of him would be a massive mistake, all this shit about barry in the summer is in my opinion people agreeing with rafa somewhat blindly.

Alonso is eveything you would want in a liverpool player, class, integrity ability and a style of football that is similar to something you would see in the 80's when big jan was in his prime. His perceived drop in form is largely down to injury and I thnk that people have been quick to vilify him because of the transfer speculation that has surrounded him, what does my head in is that during our dip in form last season people were saying xabi is essential to us and that his absence was mainly responsible for it.

With regards to the above article I get the feeling that xabi may be keeping his options open because of the way he was treated during the summer, incase he starts to get treated the same again.after all i dont think he ever wanted to leave, Hopefully rafa will recognise his value to the team and keep him in the squad for the long term.