You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Slavery Tours in Liverpool...

RJ Fan club

has any here been one of these?,

How much lucre? what days do they do them? got a link or owt?

Myself and the Missus are coming up to Liverpool next weekendish (on the Sunday) and staying for a few days. Mostly its to see the Le Corbusier exhibit, see family and generally show her about a bit. I thought the slavery tour could be a different and more intersting angle of the city to explore. Especially rather than something like the overdone Beatles stuff. Also because she knows most of the architecture of the city centre so perhaps we can spare some extra time. Furthermore it would give me a fresh angle to look at the city from.

so hop to it folks. Anyone been? links etc?

ta your pal Dave Angel... I mean RJ

Yes, the museum at the Albert Dock does one, it's run by a feller called Eric Lynch; his great-grandparents were slaves in the Americas. He's a very knowledgeable feller, lived in Liverpool all his life and loves the place. Takes you around the city and honestly even if you've lived there all your life you'll see stuff you never knew existed, all linked to the city's past involvement in slavery.

He isn't condemning or judgemental- in fact he was the leading campaigner AGAINST changing the street names (ie Bold Street, Hope Street etc)- he claimed that erasing the names erases the history. Check it out at the museum. I went through my pgce course a few years back but I'm sure they still run. Not expensive either! And definitly well worth it.

Yes, the museum at the Albert Dock does one, it's run by a feller called Eric Lynch; his great-grandparents were slaves in the Americas. He's a very knowledgeable feller, lived in Liverpool all his life and loves the place. Takes you around the city and honestly even if you've lived there all your life you'll see stuff you never knew existed, all linked to the city's past involvement in slavery.

He isn't condemning or judgemental- in fact he was the leading campaigner AGAINST changing the street names (ie Bold Street, Hope Street etc)- he claimed that erasing the names erases the history. Check it out at the museum. I went through my pgce course a few years back but I'm sure they still run. Not expensive either! And definitly well worth it.

Cheers Bri, repped (edit: must spread round the custard, consider it banked)