You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say Barry is full of energy and ambition.

And I sincerely hope Pro-Zone isn't the new championship manager or you'll be boring everyone with stats on how far Quaresma ran to get to his hairdresser instead of scouting Icelandic unknowns to preach about their talent.

It is a totally crazy myth that Xabi only played well in his first season.

In the last game he started for us - which happened to be the biggest game of the season - he was our best player. What does that tell you?

In the last game he started for us - which happened to be the biggest game of the season - he was our best player. What does that tell you?

The question is pretty simple.

Will the team get strengthened by replacing Alonso with Barry? IMHO...Yes.

The choice is therefore pretty simple under the given circumstances.

Agree with that. If people say it enough, it becomes the truth.

All things considered it is a like for like replacement except Barry is English. I am not that bothered by the situation although I'd prefer us to keep Xabi and put our efforts into signing players we actually need.

I assume this is Xabi's wish tbh, for whatever reason. Barry will be an able replacement, IMO.

Kop boss Rafa's Barry bid hits snag

XABI STALLS JUVE SWITCH

XABI ALONSO will not decide his future until after Euro 2008 - despite Juventus tracking Liverpool's £16million-rated midfielder.

Kop boss Rafa Benitez is prepared to let the Spaniard go to raise cash for Gareth Barry.

But Alonso signed a four-year contract only last summer. He would prefer to stay at Anfield and will certainly not be rushed into a move to Italy.

That could scupper Benitez's Barry plans — especially as Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill is holding firm on his £18m valuation for the England star.

Villa boss O'Neill told Benitez he rated Barry above the Reds' recent permanent signing Javier Mascherano and expects the same fee – much higher than the £10m bid already rejected.

Benitez may be forced to switch his priorities to the flanks, where he's mulling over bids for Middlesbrough's Stewart Downing and Espanyol's Albert Riera.

I think we may end up with egg on our face this summer if we need to move players on before we can even consider buying anyone. I wouldn't blame the likes of Crouch and Alonso for digging their heels in and sitting tight as they are clearly being forced out.

I was under the impression Alonso wanted to go home, Juve being the only club in for him means he is waiting to see if he has a good tournament to see if one of the Spanish clubs come in for him.

Real Madrid are rumoured to be back in for him, although I would imagine that the bulk of their transfer budget will be blown on Cristiano Ronaldo if they eventually get the green light to sign him.

better than masch? Wtf is he on? I hope we stop wasting time with Barry and look elsewhere. It seems that we have fallen into his trap. At start, everyone will only be willing to pay around 8 mil for him and now there are some people who dont mind us spending 15 million on him. Thats double the amount.

He played one good game.

Can you explain to me then why over the last 2 seasons Alonso has created 2 premier league goals and he is a centre midfielder who some argue is the best passer of a ball at the club.

Reina has created 1.

Xabi doesn't have the same license to get forward, in his time here he has played mainly holding midfield. Even Sissoko had more license to get forward.

Barry plays every where, takes penalties, plays on the wing and generally plays a more attacking role but don't let facts get in the way.

Xabi doesn't have the same license to get forward, in his time here he has played mainly holding midfield. Even Sissoko had more license to get forward.

Barry plays every where, takes penalties, plays on the wing and generally plays a more attacking role but don't let facts get in the way.

In his first season he created more league goals than any other player for us.