You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Riise admits he shit.

coop

RIISE: I'VE NOT BEEN AT MY BEST

Paul Eaton 13 November 2007

John Arne Riise has vowed to rediscover his best form after admitting he hasn't yet reached his usual high standards this season.

Despite figuring prominently in Rafael Benitez's first team plans, the Norwegian international is disappointed with his displays so far this term and knows he needs to improve to keep a place in the team.

"I was happy with my performances in pre-season, but when the season started I felt I wasn't reaching my true level," he said.

"I've noticed the fans haven't been too happy with my form and rightly so.

"I'm my own biggest critic and I know when I haven't performed well. Now I think I'm getting my sharpness back and hopefully returning to my real level."

Riise is also hoping a return to form will secure an extended contract offer having again reiterated his desire to remain with the Reds for the rest of his career.

"There was a story about me moving to Aston Villa in January," he added.

"I was away with the national team at the time and Liverpool are quite big in Norway so a lot of people were asking me about it. But it's completely false.

"I have 18 months left on my contract here and have no intention of leaving. Liverpool is the club closest to my heart and it's where I belong.

"If it wasn't for Liverpool I wouldn't be the player I am today and there is no chance that I'm going to ask for a transfer. I want to finish my career here and hopefully I can do that."

It says something about our supporters that the players notice when they're getting more grief aimed specifically at them. For the record, I think Riise has served this club well over the years and does not deserve the stick he's getting. He's going through a rough patch, but he deserves a bit of reciprocal loyalty.

I love JAR. I get frustrated by him but no-one twats it like he does. Ooo arrr.

He's just become the scapegoat in this awful season we're having . . . . him and Dirk. I love them both. In fact I love Liverpool Football Club. Each and every cunt in it. Its what being a supporter is about.

It says something about our supporters that the players notice when they're getting more grief aimed specifically at them. For the record, I think Riise has served this club well over the years and does not deserve the stick he's getting. He's going through a rough patch, but he deserves a bit of reciprocal loyalty.

Not confined to us. If anything we are much better than most.

I love JAR. I get frustrated by him but no-one twats it like he does. Ooo arrr.

He's just become the scapegoat in this awful season we're having . . . . him and Dirk. I love them both. In fact I love Liverpool Football Club. Each and every cunt in it. Its what being a supporter is about.

I think that's called blind faith actually...

It's shit the way people try to categorise all critical debate as being un-Red, just the same as it's shit to read people with nothing positive or constructive to say about us.

On JAR, I think he's been huge value for money over the years and been an integral part of some highly successful campaigns. There are better left backs out there - not that many, mind you - but some of the shit he's been taking is bang out of order. The audible groans he's starting to attract at the match are the sort that killed the confidence of Murphy and Traore before and Sissoko now. These players were all better performers away from home and away from the groans.

I regret the title of the thread as i hold my hand up and say sorry it was bang out of order for a player who has been part of our recent success.

Im not his biggest fan however and find myself wanting to ring his neck when he tries a shot from just after the halfway line.

Riise has scored some cracking goals for us but i really wish he would take the blinkers off at times at look at whats around him instead of looking to shoot at goal all the time.

I personally think we are the stage now where Riise is a back up player and if we had Aurellio fit all the time or Heinze had arrived then his time on the pitch would have been reduced.

First off, thought the thread title was equal to the 'Why do you hate Gerrard?' thread title i.e. attention seeking tabloidesque, puerile is a good word too!

Don't have the will to start all over again, so here's one I prepeared earlier...

I've always had a soft spot for Riise. He's been here 6 years and still gives it his all every game. Some of the stick he gets seems a little unfair. If he gets played left midfield he's slagged for not being a winger, yet no one seems to give him credit for playing there without complaint in the first place (set aside the fact that manager's have had the confidence to play him there anyway). Scores goals too, some of them when we've really needed them. 31 in 319 games ain't bad.

By way of a comparison, consider Steve Finnan. Generally the consensus is the sun shines out of Finnan's arse, and I would agree that as a right back he's been superbly consistent, no argument. But when we are short at right midfield no one suggests he play there and with 1 goal in 198 games he's not exactly pulling up trees.

Not saying Riise is the best player for the position in the world but then again LFC isn't Real Madrid's galacticos either.

The guy deserves more respect than he gets on here.

Not confined to us. If anything we are much better than most.

Agreed, I don't think most reds fans will jump on players for one crucial miss or one or two bad games, but rather their longer term form. I think reds are a comparitively fair minded bunch compared to most.

Still don't know how he can be skint though.

Agreed, I don't think most reds fans will jump on players for one crucial miss or one or two bad games, but rather their longer term form. I think reds are a comparitively fair minded bunch compared to most.

Still don't know how he can be skint though.

6 years loyal service ensures a slagging, gee, he must be thrilled. Vis a vis loyalty & finances - if anyone was in need of an agent to tout him around to the Man Cities of the world for a hefty sign on fee it's JAR...won't happen though cos he's more of a red than some on here.