You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I don't understand

Neil G

Our title challenge is over. Everyone said it would be over if we lost today, and we did. But Arsenal's is still alive and kicking, because they won when everyone said their challenge would be over if they lost. But they're only one point ahead of us, and our game in hand is at home while theirs is away.

Can someone please explain how that works, because I'm confused. Or failing that, can someone tell me if there's any way I can get my knee to jerk a little bit harder than it's doing at the moment, so that I feel more comfortable on this forum.

For fuck's sake.

It's not even October and the title race is over? Utter bollocks of course and another example of Sky/Beeb/papers trying to get everyone round to their way of thinking (c.Urge Overkill). Fucking Portsmouth are top of the League! Thats how representative the first weeks of the season are.

YES today was a big big loss but I dont believe Chelsea will go unbeaten and they'll draw a fair few this season. I dont think we'll win it but we'll be up there. Our squad will improve as the season goes on and hopefully even more so if we get Alves and Eardley in January.

1. We have to WIN our game in hand.

2. They have got a huge lift beating one of their rivals. (a 6 pointer away from home)

3. We have been shit this season and can't score!

I wouldn't read into arsenal winning too much, i'm still not convinced by them though they did play brilliantly and deserved to win today. The mancs looked wobbly defensively and were fortunate against watford and spurs. I think most people knew they would come a cropper sooner or later. Today, i think they were finally punished. In short, neither us or arsenal are out of the race. It seems whether or not you are in the race is determined by your result week by week. It's crazy talk to suggest we are out of it. If we win our next two games everyone will be saying we are back in it.

The Tache is right. As I remember, before all the Premiership / Sky - era crap really started to get out of control, you'd never have even looked at a league table before October because it wouldn't tell you anything meaningful until a significant number of games had been played.

The OTT stuff is just a symptom of the age we live in, the hype that goes into every broadcast minute, every page of a paper, every bit of information... It's all sales and advertising, pushing the corporate/media agenda ruling our game these days. Don't give into it.

I just looked at the table and realised if we beat Newcastle we will only be 5 points off manu and chelsea with the same games played, I thought it was worse than that for some reason

Even assuming we win our game in hand (which is far from guaranteed), 5 points is a lot at this stage of the season. 5 points behind from 5 games = 38 points behind over a full season.

Even assuming we win our game in hand (which is far from guaranteed), 5 points is a lot at this stage of the season. 5 points behind from 5 games = 38 points behind over a full season.

Your logic is similar to the saying "put in 9 men and nine women and they will reproduce a baby in 1 month".

Seriously mate carry on!! You will do people proud.

Erm, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the whole point of a round robin league was that every team plays each other home and away over the course of 10 months.

If we beat Fulham, Watford, Spurs and Charlton and Man U lose away to Everton and Chelsea and draw with sheff Utd then what da ya know, we've got the same number of points!!

If you fall for Skys hype then why dont the top 4 play each other over the first few weeks and get the whole frightful business over with.

Your logic is similar to the saying "put in 9 men and nine women and they will reproduce a baby in 1 month".

You fail at logic. Producing a baby in 1 month is an impossibility. A 5 point deficit after 5 games, extrapolated over an entire season, equals a 38 point deficit. That's a statistical FACT.

You fail at logic. Producing a baby in 1 month is an impossibility. A 5 point deficit after 5 games, extrapolated over an entire season, equals a 38 point deficit. That's a statistical FACT.

Might as well give up now then using your logic and statistical genius.

Might as well give up now then using your logic and statistical genius.

Wow, congratulations on posting something extremely stupid. 38 points over an entire season does not take into account the fact that we might improve our form, and I'm not saying we won't improve. I was just countering the guy who said that 5 points behind really isn't that much, when it blatantly is, given how the maximum you could have is 15.

Wow, congratulations on posting something extremely stupid. 38 points over an entire season does not take into account the fact that we might improve our form, and I'm not saying we won't improve. I was just countering the guy who said that 5 points behind really isn't that much, when it blatantly is, given how the maximum you could have is 15.

The maximum we could have is 12. We have played only four games.

Lets throw out the context of the teams we have played then eh? 3 away games in 4, 1 against our local rivals,1 against main contenders for the league and another against team which were always going to cause problems in their first home game in the league for whoever showed up.

Every single one of these games is blood and thunder where we need to fight to win - hardly ideal fodder for the first 4 games of the season. Lets not forget the fact we had a "revenge showdown" we had to navigate at home.

Lets consider Chelsea's start.

3 home games, 2 away games.

home game, man city - great team to play opening day.

away game, Boro - a loss, boro are a handful fair enough

away game blackburn - nothing doing at ewood are they?

home game charlton - yeah.... they are doing great too.....

Mancs start..

3 home games 2 away games.... see the pattern?

home game fulham - yeah fulham are great this year!

away to charlton - see above under chelsea header

away to watford - yup - the mighty watford.

home to spurs - whats that, 3 losses out of 5 at spurs, and they only played teams like Bolton and Everton who aint even their rivals so they dont have the same problems we have when we play them.

In summary

Stop being a dick - look at the facts, the start of the season fixture list for us compared to the mancs and chelsea is heavily warped in their favour. So being 5 points behind after this run isn't too doom and gloom is it?

Stop being a dick - look at the facts, the start of the season fixture list for us compared to the mancs and chelsea is heavily warped in their favour. So being 5 points behind after this run isn't too doom and gloom is it?

I don't recall making any doom and gloom predictions, or even claiming that our start to the season has been anything but challenging. Unfortunately, you don't get extra points for playing tough sides.

I don't recall making any doom and gloom predictions, or even claiming that our start to the season has been anything but challenging. Unfortunately, you don't get extra points for playing tough sides.

So you accept that your mathmatical logic is somewhat flawed? You cant spout the rhetoric that we will be 38 points behind at the end of the season, then say you take into account the opposition we played.

Generous indeed.

I know you were being sarcastic, but here's the facts; yesterday, Newcastle went away to a side that we struggled to beat at home, and won convincingly. They are playing better than we are at the moment. You can tell they're playing better because they are higher up in that table thing.

So you accept that your mathmatical logic is somewhat flawed? You cant spout the rhetoric that we will be 38 points behind at the end of the season, then say you take into account the opposition we played.

Learn to read please. I didn't say we will be 38 points behind at the end of the season. I'm damn certain we won't be, in fact.

What I said was that 5 points is quite a deficit to make up, because it's the equivalent at this stage of the season to 38 points at the end of it.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the mathematics.