You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lots of positives tonight...

Paul

the defence and the front two were the positives to come out of tonight. the negatives were that the midfield seriously lacked guile and creativity, and generally dropped to deep throughout the entire game.

gerrard has now only started ONE of our last seven champions league away games. considering he's the club captain, that's a staggering statistic. O_o

the defence and the front two were the positives to come out of tonight. the negatives were that the midfield seriously lacked guile and creativity, and generally dropped to deep throughout the entire game.

gerrard has now only started ONE of our last seven champions league away games. considering he's the club captain, that's a staggering statistic. O_o

Yeah, heard that as well, which also really surprised me.

Another interesting stat: Jamie Carragher, became only the fourth player in Liverpool's history to make 80 European appearances last night.

A point away will do, good to get a clean sheet, no injuries, no cards (Chavski with 4 yellows, for example, could regret that later). Wasn't thrilling by any stretch of the imagination, but then again, even the best Liverpool sides down the years never did "thrilling' too often away from home in Europe. If Saturday was three steps back then this was at least a step in the right direction.

Best thing is that it was a Tuesday game and only a short hop on Easy jet home. Rafa & co now got some time at last with the whole squad together to do some work on the practice ground. That's what has been missing, could make the differnce next weekend.

I didn't see "lots of positives". I saw a half-decent display and a handful of reasonable-to-good performances.

Obviously it's all relative, but in the context of both Saturday and the selection, I'm more than happy with both the performance and result. I also agree about Kewell, at the moment. However, I haven't seen enough of Gonzalez yet, either.

Many of today's papers are critical of the team selection and what they term cautious approach last night. I wonder if the same reporters actually witnessed the defending exhibited on Saturday. To my mind, it was vital that we regained some sense of solidity before attempting anything else - and we achieved that. The rotation policy is taking a real pounding in a couple of reports with The Independent trying to shit stir about Bellamy and Gerrard's respective omissions from the last two matches.

Basically, I feel much happier going into Sunday's game after that than I would had we conceded a goal. The key for me is to establish and retain a settled defence before we go on to unleash the attacking potential of the side. We just need to do the former very quickly.

Another interesting stat: Jamie Carragher, became only the fourth player in Liverpool's history to make 80 European appearances last night.

A point away will do, good to get a clean sheet, no injuries, no cards (Chavski with 4 yellows, for example, could regret that later). Wasn't thrilling by any stretch of the imagination, but then again, even the best Liverpool sides down the years never did "thrilling' too often away from home in Europe. If Saturday was three steps back then this was at least a step in the right direction.

Best thing is that it was a Tuesday game and only a short hop on Easy jet home. Rafa & co now got some time at last with the whole squad together to do some work on the practice ground. That's what has been missing, could make the differnce next weekend.

0-0 away, batter them at Anfield used to be the way we did it. Halfway there!

PSV had a lot of possession, soething like 60/40, but we had more shots on goal. I thought we were pretty effective and i think Kuyt and Bellamy are going to be an ace partnership when they have played together a bit more.

0-0 away, batter them at Anfield used to be the way we did it. Halfway there!

If I remember rightly some of the Bob Paisley's Euro 0-0 away were the results he was most proud off.

Something else I liked, looked someone has had a word in Bellemey's shell, not half as much complaining in this game, he even cracked a smile over the handball decision.

0-0 away is a great result, we're on schedule. I saw a lot of positivres as well. Clean sheet, kuyt&Bellers, and Agger especially. I just wish we could use Pennant as a out and out winger. Almost bit my fingers off in pure frustration when he started drifting infield and losing the ball every single time. He should be told to stand on the white chalk for 90 minutes imo.

Guest molbyscorchio
Many of today's papers are critical of the team selection and what they term cautious approach last night.

A lot of sports articles are written by lazy idiots. Whoever argues that Pennant and Zenden are more defensively minded, and would foster a more cautious approach than Gerrard and Alonso clearly knows nothing about football. The fact is, we were more disciplined and held our concentration last night. Zenden played well, Sissoko did too, if we turn a blind eye to the ball often coming off him at unlikely angles - something that we will have to get used to, I fear - and Pennant, while not making enough of the space down the right, used the ball intelligently in the first half.

I didn't see "lots of positives". I saw a half-decent display and a handful of reasonable-to-good performances.

Me too. We kept a clean sheet and got a point. I don't think we played very well.

It was pretty obvious from the team we put out that this was a game Rafa was prepared to lose, as he could afford to. Rafa knows that defeat at Stamford Bridge is something we really need to avoid, and I think his team selection showed this.

This was a game we easily could have both lost and won. When PSV crashed that shot against the bar, Carra was way off the pace. Equally, Gerrard came as close as you can to scoring the winner without actually doing it. His ability to strike the ball never seizes to amaze me.

It was disappointing that we created so few chances against what I think was a poor PSV. If they continue to play their home games like this, there is no way they will get out of this group. In this game, the result was better than the performace.

I guess job done is the correct term.

Totally agree with that - theres nearly always a big improvement after Rafa and Pako have had a few days to work with them. Its even more important when you've got a lot of new players in the squad. The players returning from the world cup then off again on international duty i.e. the spine of the team, haven't had a proper opportunity to mesh with the squad - its been very noticeable.