You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Physical Contact

Stu Monty

Is it just me or is football becoming a non-contact sport?

It's not just the widespread diving and simulation of terrible injury when someone's only been clipped but also the way that even mild contact in a challenge is now leading to free-kicks being given.

I heard one of the commentators explaining that "lunging" tackles were going to be penalised with a yellow card even if they won the ball. What the fuck's all that about? How about you realise that a crunching challenge is just as good to watch as someone doing a step-over (more so in my opinion as it is a combintation of physical endeavour, timing and rick taking).

The removal of the physical side of the game is really starting to wear me down. Every challenge we have deception and dishonesty. How many players have any pride and honesty anymore?

Anyone else feeling the same way?

It's not just the widespread diving and simulation of terrible injury when someone's only been clipped but also the way that even mild contact in a challenge is now leading to free-kicks being given.

I heard one of the commentators explaining that "lunging" tackles were going to be penalised with a yellow card even if they won the ball. What the fuck's all that about? How about you realise that a crunching challenge is just as good to watch as someone doing a step-over (more so in my opinion as it is a combintation of physical endeavour, timing and rick taking).

The removal of the physical side of the game is really starting to wear me down. Every challenge we have deception and dishonesty. How many players have any pride and honesty anymore?

Its fucking annoying. There was a crunching tackle in a game the other day and i was waiting for the whistle - i felt bad.

Right with you brother. The refereeing so far has been gash. The red card last night was a joke. Yellow cards flying here and there as well. A foul is when you don't get the ball. If you get the ball first, no foul. Simple.

Banning the tackle from behind was the beginning of the end as far as physical contact was concerned, the likes of a 90's Paul Ince would be out of a job these days. How your supposed to win the ball back is any ones guess - it'll probably end up like basketball.

Right with you brother. The refereeing so far has been gash. The red card last night was a joke. Yellow cards flying here and there as well. A foul is when you don't get the ball. If you get the ball first, no foul. Simple.

Thing is RiS, that second challenge was actually a booking; he knew what he was doing and stopped the attack. The thing I hate is that you now regularly have two players going for a ball and the one who gets there first will almost always go down for a free-kick when he is touched (no matter how hard) by the opponent.

Touching opponents and even catching their legs with yours isn't always a foul. There was a lad for Poland yesterday who went down a few times (sometimes touched sometimes not) and got about three players booked, including Ballack with a blatant dive. I wanted someone to end his career, there's no place for him in my vision of football.

The saddest thing is that the perceptions of people who watch the game are shifting too and you always get "well if you will make a naive tackle like that then they will punish you" when someone has dived. It's still fucking cheating and it pisses me right off.

Thing is RiS, that second challenge was actually a booking; he knew what he was doing and stopped the attack. The thing I hate is that you now regularly have two players going for a ball and the one who gets there first will almost always go down for a free-kick when he is touched (no matter how hard) by the opponent.

Touching opponents and even catching their legs with yours isn't always a foul. There was a lad for Poland yesterday who went down a few times (sometimes touched sometimes not) and got about three players booked, including Ballack with a blatant dive. I wanted someone to end his career, there's no place for him in my vision of football.

The saddest thing is that the perceptions of people who watch the game are shifting too and you always get "well if you will make a naive tackle like that then they will punish you" when someone has dived. It's still fucking cheating and it pisses me right off.

I don't think it was a booking, if you ask me the german dude manufactured it. I haven't seen it again, but that was my gut reaction. My gut may have been affected by the brocolli though.

Completely agree. Footy is being sanitised.

Bring back neck high challenges!

Tacking is an art form as much as curling the ball or volleying spectacular goals. Of course there will always be crude challenges but to remove all contact from the game changes it fundamentally, and not for the better, IMO.

I've been thinking this week that the refs have given far too many freekicks and it makes games much less flowing and entertaining.

yep the ref in the england match was a joke. he was blowing all the time. been the same in quite a few matches.

The fact that Australia have been labelled a 'dirty' team by one and all (including softcocks like Franklin Foer) really pisses me off, when they're playing with about half the intensity of your average premier league team. The Japanese were going to ground way too easily, and I imagine the Brazilians will be a bit the same. Given that it only takes two yellows to get a suspension, the 'improved' refereeing could turn into a bit of a joke.

Not that I'm biased or anything.

I totally agree Stu.

So what can be done about it? And I dont mean that in a petulant way, Ive been wondering for ages how to get tackles and the 'foul' (as opposed to the yellow card) back into the game.

I totally agree with you Stu, all these yellow cards for what I believe are perfectly fair challenges just give diving twats like Robben & Co more incentive to fall to the ground like they have been shot!

FIFA are just making the game worse by trying to remove a core element of it... Knobs!!!

Oh, I thought from the title of the thread that this was going to be a soul searching monolouge, about the trials and tribulations in acceptance of oneseelf. Concluding with Mr Monty outting himself . Fair play I was going to say. Nothing wrong with them Queers, long as they dont go shoving down my throat I was going to say.....

Obvously not......

every world cup they try to clean some part of the game, like when they made tackles from behind a straight red several years ago. souldn't we be spending our time and money on trying to clone and army of Collina's, instead of watching FIFA make rules and instruct refs to make calls that will inevitably lead to the total pussification of our sport?

That lad today for T&T that went into a challenge with Owen really hard but won the ball...got fucking booked!

The Tyldsley is giving it the "oooh he had a menace about him" shut up you fucking nancy.

See, 'Nancy' homo ref there Stu, I think I was right with my previous post.... :tease:

That lad today for T&T that went into a challenge with Owen really hard but won the ball...got fucking booked!

The Tyldsley is giving it the "oooh he had a menace about him" shut up you fucking nancy.

Stu, I agree wholeheartedly with your post topic, but the challenge you're talking about, if I recall correctly, was a two-footed lunge. I remember thinking at first it looked a harsh booking, but after replays that it was ok.

Is this the correct challenge? A moot point though, as what you're saying is correct. Refs don't look at the tackle anymore, just the reaction of the player being tackled. Ridiculous.