You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Which striker?

snez1

Guest brendan
Is there a reason why we won all those games he played in?

Yes plenty of reasons:

Improved defence, improved retention of the ball (whch he has some part in, granted), better goalkeeper, generally shit-to-mediocre opposition, and finally, the goals provided by the freakish Gerrard.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes plenty of reasons:

Improved defence, improved retention of the ball (whch he has some part in, granted), better goalkeeper, generally shit-to-mediocre opposition, and finally, the goals provided by the freakish Gerrard.

And why has Gerrard been scoring a lot more this season do you think?

Guest brendan
And why has Gerrard been scoring a lot more this season do you think?

Let me guess, all of the assists from Lurch?

Or perhaps playing in a more advanced free role?

Or just one of those seasons where it all goes in for him?

Here's where we are:

I think you give Lurch far too much credit

You think I give Lurch far too little credit.

Let me guess, all of the assists from Lurch?

Or perhaps playing in a more advanced free role?

Or just one of those seasons where it all goes in for him?

Here's where we are:

I think you give Lurch far too much credit

You think I give Lurch far too little credit.

Fair enough but a big reason that Gerrard is scoring more is having Crouch retaining the ball high up the picth and bringing him into play in a way other strikers haven't.

Can you see that side of things?

Guest brendan
Fair enough but a big reason that Gerrard is scoring more is having Crouch retaining the ball high up the picth and bringing him into play in a way other strikers haven't.

Can you see that side of things?

Yes, I can see that.

It's nowhere near enough to justify his place in the team.

But tragically, the hapless Morientes is even fucking worse, God isn't fit, and poor old Djibs is having a nightmare.

*Drags himself kicking and screaming into the "debate"*

Why don't any of the Crouch haters slag Rafa for signing him, or for saying he was brought in to help us link the play and keep possession, or for saying he won't be bothered if he doesn't score all season?

Guest brendan
*Drags himself kicking and screaming into the "debate"*

Why don't any of the Crouch haters slag Rafa for signing him, or for saying he was brought in to help us link the play and keep possession, or for saying he won't be bothered if he doesn't score all season?

I think Rafa's indulgence of Lurch has been bewildering at times, and his repeated use of the execrable Fernando Morientes is also a fucking mystery to me.

Yes, I can see that.

It's nowhere near enough to justify his place in the team.

But tragically, the hapless Morientes is even fucking worse, God isn't fit, and poor old Djibs is having a nightmare.

I think it does justify it, but only barely when he is playing poorly like at the moment. When he is keeping everything we pass to him and finding feet all the time I'm not worried that he might not score as we play well and others will benefit from his work.

When it isn't firing as well you worry about the lack of goals as it's like an important part of the machine failing, the whole machine fails to work.

Can you see the opportunities for the side if we had a fast and clinical player alongside him to force defences back towards thier own goal and work off Crouch?

I see FSP has now come out on Sky Sports News saying how Rafa never gave him a chance and looks like he wont be returning to the first team as i cant see Rafa accepting anyone bad mouthing him in public.

I would rather see TBM in the team then Nando and FSP instead of Cisse so it would be no loss to see them gone in the summer.

Crouch i agree with what has been posted in that he should be used as a sub for nuisance value or as an alternative against some teams but not as our no.1 striker has he isnt good enough.

Defoe looks a good player but seems to have an attitude.

Kuyt, i only know what people have posted about him + watched only brief highlights so i cant comment on him only that he looks decent and has the attributes to be a great player but i thought that about Cisse.

To me theres no contest in the fact that Owen would be the perfect signing but only for the £12 million mentioned.

Crouch, Owen, Fowler, TBM and FSP would do me for next season.

As Rafa would say

Some People Know Nothing About Football

The bottom line is that Crouch has been our most consistent performer over the season and Cisse & Moro have been very inconsistent and not good enough to play from the start.

Even if Rafa wanted to rest Crouch the alternatives are just too dire to bare, hopefully a fit Robbie Fowler could change that situation for Rafa

As Rafa would say

The bottom line is that Crouch has been our most consistent performer over the season and Cisse & Moro have been very inconsistent and not good enough to play from the start.

Even if Rafa wanted to rest Crouch the alternatives are just too dire to bare, hopefully a fit Robbie Fowler could change that situation for Rafa

I'm assuming you're only referring to strikers. Otherwise, that's an incredibly bold (not to mention, just plain wrong) statement.

00-01 Queen's Park 10 Goals, 38 Games FIRST DIVISION

01-02(mar) Portsmouth 18 Goals, 37 Games - FIRST DIVISION

01-02 Aston Villa 2 Goals, 12 Games PREMIERSHIP

02-03 Aston Villa 14 Games 0 Goals PREMIERSHIP

03-04 Aston Villa 4 Goals, 16 Games PREMIERSHIP

04-05 Southampton 12 Goals, 27 Games PREMIERSHIP

He has never been a prolific goalscorer at any club and only really had a decent 6 months in the topflight and has 32 Premiership goals in nearly 5 years. But we knew that before he signed.

im obviously refering to our strikers as Stevie G has been a little bit better than Crouch.

Probably

1 Stevie

2 Carra

3 Reina

Pardon? Are you judging Crouch against other players? If so you must forget the standards they have set themselves and judge them on their performance against eachother.

Reina, Finna, Carragher, Kewell, Gerrard, Alonso, Momo et all have all been better than Crouch this season.

In all fairness to Crouch his plight hasnt been helped by his fellow strikers not finding the net. Crouch is never going to be top of the goalscoring charts but this season the biggest dissapointment for me has been the form of Cisse and Nando not Crouch.

Pardon? Are you judging Crouch against other players? If so you must forget the standards they have set themselves and judge them on their performance against eachother.

Reina, Finna, Carragher, Kewell, Gerrard, Alonso, Momo et all have all been better than Crouch this season.

Finna ??????????????? is that the new Italian right back we have signed.