You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lord Frodsham

Rashid

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The deal was agreed between the clubs the January before the July he signed and it would have been very hard for Liverpool to get out of the deal.

Don't be naive, Liverpool would have had an exit clause in case of unforseen contingencies - maybe with a penalty clause.

Owen set for return as Reds start Real talks Aug 26 2005

By Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

MICHAEL OWEN is virtually certain to join Liverpool next week, despite Newcastle's attempts to sign him.

Negotiations will begin with Real Madrid after tonight's Super Cup final and look set to end next week with him returning to the European champions.

Skipper Steven Gerrard has expressed his desire to see Owen rejoin the Reds.

Speaking after yesterday's Champions League draw, Gerrard said: "Fingers crossed. It's obviously up to the Liverpool manager but everyone knows what I want."

Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry denied claims there was a difference of opinion between the board and boss Rafael Benitez over Owen returning, saying: "There has never been a split between us and Rafa over Michael or any other player.

"It's not a no or a yes - there has been plenty of speculation and we will see next week. It's always encouraging when a player says he wants to come to Liverpool."

The Echo revealed last month how Owen was desperate to come back to the club where he had spent his entire career before opting for a move to Spain last summer.

Newcastle's efforts to lure him to Tyneside have failed to deflect Owen from his determination to return to Anfield.

The Geordies are now on the verge of landing Deportivo La Coruna striker Albert Luque in a £9m deal.

Outstanding? In whose opinion apart from your own? Find me one match report where he is referred to as outstanding? Sometimes we are really over-generous in our descriptions - just what does outstanding mean here - scoring a couple of goals against the Lithuanian champions?

Maybe outstanding by his OWN opinion. Not based on what dickheads from the press say!!!!

LYON SET FOR CISSE MOVE

Sporting Life

Gerard Houllier may swoop for Djibril Cisse - his last signing before leaving Liverpool - giving his Anfield successor Rafael Benitez extra room for manoeuvre in the Michael Owen saga.

Benitez refused to discuss a move to bring Owen back to Liverpool from Real Madrid, before Friday's European Super Cup final against CSKA Moscow in Monaco.

It is thought Benitez has been unwilling to upset his current strikers with this match and important Champions League clashes on the agenda in recent weeks.

But Houllier, now manager at French champions Lyon, has made an inquiry about Cisse - a player be bought from Auxerre for £14million just weeks before Benitez arrived at Liverpool.

If the French international could be sold, and Liverpool recoup much of the original transfer fee, Benitez will have money and a gap in his squad to accommodate Owen.

Houllier, who has Champions League football to offer and money to spend following the sale of Michael Essien to Chelsea, wants Cisse to return to France and lead his attack.

There was plenty of contact between Owen's advisors and Liverpool this week, with the Real Madrid player confirming he wants to return to the club he left in an £8million deal last year.

Newcastle have had a bid in excess of £15million accepted by Real. But Owen has said he would like to move to Tyneside only on a loan deal - and in the event of a Liverpool transfer failing to materialise before Wednesday's deadline.

Owen wants to return to his Flintshire mansion. It is believed his pregnant wife wants to return to the UK to be near her family, while Owen needs to be playing regular football during World Cup year.

Liverpool could not afford to match Newcastle's bid and would not countenance paying Madrid twice what they received for the player a year ago.

I tell you what if Cisse is sold to Lyon we should demand a swap with Juninho. Please bear in mind that me personally would like to see Cisse given a chance because I think he can become a great striker with the right coaching and a decent run in the side. But it ain't gonna happen now because 'St Michael will be back' and he will get the chance before Cisse (if he stays).

Agree with that, I feel sorry for Cisse. Last player who I can remember who buzzed off being a Liverpool player as much as Djib was Mad Erik.

Dave have you heard that Cisse is up for offer, or do we take it that the amount of press sepculation means it certain ?

Its just I remember readin last summer that Benitez had sanctioned the signing prior to becoing our boss. Parry gave him the choice to veto it, sensibly, as it was alot of money and parry didnt want it to affect Benitezs transfer budget. Benitez said he tried to sign Cisse for Valencia, and had had paco watch him several times (Nick should be able to confirm this :tease: )so was more than happy to snaction the bid.

Obviously this could have been press bollox, but its also possible that the rumours about cisse are to increase the sense we've no cahs, to force Madrids hand.

Dave have you heard that Cisse is up for offer, or do we take it that the amount of press sepculation means it certain ?

Its just I remember readin last summer that Benitez had sanctioned the signing prior to becoing our boss. Parry gave him the choice to veto it, sensibly, as it was alot of money and parry didnt want it to affect Benitezs transfer budget. Benitez said he tried to sign Cisse for Valencia, and had had paco watch him several times (Nick should be able to confirm this :tease: )so was more than happy to snaction the bid.

All i can confirm that story you read was a crock of shiete in my opinoin of course

i pointed this out earlier in the thread but the deal was actually agreed by all parties in Jan before the July he signed and Liverpool & Auxerre were contractually bound by it

All i can confirm that story you read was a crock of shiete in my opinoin of course

i pointed this out earlier in the thread but the deal was actually agreed by all parties in Jan before the July he signed and Liverpool & Auxerre were contractually bound by it

HOw does one whistle Dixie ? :whistle:

but fair enough, sorry I didnt read all the thread, it has grown pretty quickly !

I just remember this being quoted in early season last year.

"Houllier, who has Champions League football to offer "

mmm hello? Cup-tied??

Lazy fuckin journo.

Plenty of it about. There is that thing that they can rgister a player in january even if he is cup-tied, but I think that only applies for a different competition, for example, he could join Everton in january (stop sniggering at the back) and register with them to play in the UEFA cup from february onwards (I said stop sniggering at the back).

I think it is clear after tonight that Cisse doesnt want to leave but reading between the lines I feel that he will go if Owen returns. In all honesty lets look at tonight as an example, on a one on one against a keeper who do you put your mortgage on, Cisse or Owen?

Enough said really, and for all those in the Cisse fan club must admit that he has not shown he is the natural finisher as we had hoped he would be for us.

Fair play to the lad, he came on tonight and changed the game for us, but for me players like Zenden, Josemi, Pongolle and Cisse have a lot more to prove to us before they can consider them selves fit for the first 11. In all fairness on current form Morientes should be included in that statement.

I personally think it is a no brainer - the return of Owen guarantees us goals.

You've forgotten those endless weeks of him missing sitters then, only outlasted by his agents holidays.

Like your grudging concession that Morientes is a waste of space - overhyped, overpaid, overplayed.

I am actually a big Morientes fan, and feel that he just needs to find his perfect partner to really take off for us. I have time for him as on occasions he oozes class for us. I just mentioned that on current form and if Owen arrived, then Owenwould have to be first choice in front of anyone.

I am actually a big Morientes fan, and feel that he just needs to find his perfect partner to really take off for us. I have time for him as on occasions he oozes class for us. I just mentioned that on current form and if Owen arrived, then Owenwould have to be first choice in front of anyone.

Morientes plays like he's stoned - at least half a second slow to react, falls over Heskey-style under the slightest challenge, and requires the team to be shaped around him. He has 'oozed class' for two or three two second spells per game. I don't want to diss his abilities or record but maybe France is the best place for him nowadays.

Morientes plays like he's stoned - at least half a second slow to react, falls over Heskey-style under the slightest challenge, and requires the team to be shaped around him. He has 'oozed class' for two or three two second spells per game. I don't want to diss his abilities or record but maybe France is the best place for him nowadays.

That's my major qualm. It's mental. It's as if he thinks about peforming an action two seconds too late.

The thing is his performance at the Valley last season was fantastic that night. You get him doing that week in week out then we have some player. Rafa obviously feels he can do a job for us and it is up to him to get the best out of Morientes.

And you response is an even bigger crock of shit.

Steve (Rushian) is rarely wrong when it comes to Liverpool FC and it was he who posted on RAWK that Rafa had the option to pull out of the deal. I've got no reason to doubt him.