You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

6 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

I'm reading here that one-fifth of coronavirus cases in Poland are coal miners.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-poland-mining/polish-coal-producer-defends-miners-facing-public-ire-over-the-coronavirus-idUSKBN23P1ZX

Mining-health-safety.jpg

Shurely shome mishtake?

Where is the relevance? A coal miner who no doubt has bad lungs anyway contracting a virus? Wow cool story bro. I notice you shut up about your Japan bollocks. 

3 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

Oh sorry, I thought this was the coronavirus thread.

Aah yes it is. Sorry if you've posted it as another Coronavirus story. If it is some sort of weak attempt to prove your point about masks then yet again you have failed. Miserably.

Just now, Mudface said:

But why the 'shurely shome mishtake' comment?

I'm finding it hard to rationalise the apparent fact that coal miners are badly affected by coronavirus with the apparent fact that coal miners wear some of the most serious-looking PPE you can find anywhere.

Just now, Stront19m Dog™ said:

I'm finding it hard to rationalise the apparent fact that coal miners are badly affected by coronavirus with the apparent fact that coal miners wear some of the most serious-looking PPE you can find anywhere.

Yeah they wear that stuff to the shops, the pub, to bed. They also don't have weak lungs from exposure to dust when they haven't got the mask on. 

You are having an absolute nightmare. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Yeah they wear that stuff to the shops, the pub, to bed. They also don't have weak lungs from exposure to dust when they haven't got the mask on. 

You are having an absolute nightmare. 

They also don't take crowded lifts, work, change and shower in close proximity to other miners....

Just now, Stront19m Dog™ said:

Coal miners are obviously missing a trick wearing full on industrial-grade respirators when they should be wearing something Sandra from the bingo knocked up from an old pair of socks and some knicker elastic.

They don't wear them all the time, ffs. Also, a lot of miners carried on working even though they were infected as they were worried about losing their pay and jobs.

Here, some details- https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2020/06/16/pola-j16.html

On May 9, the government and trade unions negotiated a kind of short-time working allowance (Tarcza 4.0) for PGG workers. Inactive miners receive 60 percent of their average wage as part of the government’s coronavirus measures, a sum that forces many to go underground to survive, despite the dangerous conditions.

The companies and the government are still deliberately downplaying the danger of coronavirus. For example, the State Mining Institute (Główny Instytut Górniczyder, GIG) stated that the risk of infection underground is “no greater” than for workers working above ground, in other industries or for any other resident of the Republic of Poland.

In fact, it is impossible for miners to comply with the simplest recommendations of virologists on infection protection. Up to 50 miners travel together in the shaft elevator to the depths. Even with fewer workers, effective protection against infection is not possible due to the narrow conditions. Even when the train travels to the mining site, measures to maintain social distance cannot be adhered to because the workers are crammed into the tightest of spaces in the cars. At the end of the day, workers then shower together.

Although every miner must now produce two negative tests to be allowed to work, the responsible authorities are hopelessly overburdened with the mass tests, even months after the pandemic began.

Many miners complain that even if they had symptoms, they could not reach the testing station. In order not to miss their shift without a valid reason, which could lead to dismissal, they go underground despite the suspicion of infection. Workers that have been tested often do not know when they will receive the results. Others get no information from the health service or the results of their tests are lost.

Fuck all to do with masks. Unless you also think surgeons and other health workers never get infected either despite them wearing PPE at work. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Spy Bee said:

In a study in South East Asia they found that cloth masks actually increased infection rates.

Isn't the key word there 'cloth', not 'masks'?

reusable cloth masks should be made of at least two layers of tightly-woven fabric, such as cotton or linen.

8 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

Coal miners are obviously missing a trick wearing full on industrial-grade respirators when they should be wearing something Sandra from the bingo knocked up from an old pair of socks and some knicker elastic.

Next you'll be saying astronauts have been doing it all wrong since the 1960s.

9 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Here, some details- https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2020/06/16/pola-j16.html

Fuck all to do with masks. Unless you also think surgeons and other health workers never get infected either despite them wearing PPE at work. 

Nice work. Good to see some FACTS. He will ignore it now and wait until something else comes up. 

Still waiting for Spy Bee to show his South East Asian study. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Nice work. Good to see some FACS. He will ignore it now and wait until something else comes up. 

Still waiting for Spy Bee to show his South East Asian study. 

Remember this from last week?

On 17/07/2020 at 12:31, Stront19m Dog™ said:

On the contrary, I wish more people would. They could start by supporting their opinions with science.

Since then we've had- cases are rising in China, so masks are no good, and how come miners get coronavirus when they wear PPE.

SCIENCE.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Remember this from last week?

Since then we've had- cases are rising in China, so masks are no good, and how come miners get coronavirus when they wear PPE.

SCIENCE.

You can't see that these are your arguments I'm using but in reverse. That's the irony right there.

Here's where we're at right now in this thread.

- If people are wearing masks, and cases are falling, then that's all due to masks. All hail the mask!

- If people are wearing masks, but cases are rising, then that's due to other factors. Nothing to do with masks.

- If people aren't wearing masks and cases are falling, then it's unsustainable, we're dicing with death and we'll soon have a second wave unless we all start wearing masks.

- If people aren't wearing masks and cases are rising, then that's obviously due to people not wearing masks. Selfish, irresponsible traitors.

It's honestly the most egregious example of confirmation bias I've ever seen.

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

You can't see that these are your arguments I'm using but in reverse. That's the irony right there.

- If people are wearing masks, and cases are falling, then that's all due to masks. All hail the mask!

- If people are wearing masks, but cases are rising, then that's due to other factors. Nothing to do with masks.

- If people aren't wearing masks and cases are falling, then it's unsustainable, we're dicing with death and we'll soon have a second wave unless we all start wearing masks.

- If people aren't wearing masks and cases are rising, then that's obviously due to people not wearing masks. Selfish, irresponsible traitors.

Did you even bother to read the report on the rises in Japan? Just because you type in fancy words that originate from the Latin language it doesn't suddenly hold your 'If Then Else' GIGO in higher esteem.

7 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

Ok, I know you don't like being picked up on making things up but point to one post where someone has said that falling cases are all down to people wearing masks. 

17 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

That's a nice strawman you've made up there, but no one's saying that masks are the be and end all. There are however a number of studies saying they look to be beneficial (the ones I've posted above for example, which don't appear to count for some reason). Also, given that countries with very low infection and death rates have adopted them in overwhelming numbers right from the outset, it'd be a good idea if we did too, even if it is belatedly.

Also, this is wearing a face covering when you're in close proximity to strangers, it's not asking people to take a potentially dangerous drug. Of all the things that we've had to do since this started, putting on a mask to go into a shop is one of the least onerous. If it doesn't have much of an effect, hey-ho, at least it hasn't made things worse and it's hardly a burden. If it does have a beneficial effect, great, we should have done this much earlier and we'll know next time.

As for this-

I don't think so. You're just not as clever as you think you are and you've been making little snide, passive aggressive posts since this all started because of that 'embarrassing' post you just won't row back from.

• Upvote 1