You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Youth Team/Cup

old skool tom

I see Randall (U18s captain) is in the side tonight. Interesting considering how well Williams has done lately.

Maguire's benefited from being pushed to the u21s (previously I thought it was a bit too early - following Smith's injury) as well.

Yeah, I think a loan would do Dunn the world of good. He has qualities that suggest he could make it but he needs a season of competitive football. There's no reason why he can't go to a decent Championship team and score 10-15 goals next season.

It's so hard to predict which defenders are going to make it. About a year ago I was absolutely convinced that McLaughlin and Smith were headed for the first team, but the latter looked like a deer in the headlights when he got his chance. It just shows you how impressive Jon Flanagan's mental strength is because he has never looked phased since stepping up to the first team. That's a really big part of the puzzle for defenders in particular, I think.

To be fair to Smith he was thrown on at Stamford Bridge, out of position, with us needing a goal. Was quite an ask. Plus, he's broken his leg in that year period.

Not that your being particularly unfair. It's really difficult to tell. I think the best way to look at it is that they all have an opportunity, ultimately the mental side of the game will make the difference and you just don't know until they are getting those games in senior football.

I still have high hopes for Smith but he doesn't look ready for the first team yet. He's another one I'd like to see get some games out on loan next season.

The defence has looked a lot better here after that shaky start. Jones and Paez are starting to form a decent understanding, and Randall has done very well at right back.

For me, the most noticeable thing about the youth set-up is the change in what's required of our central midfielders. Too often, they were generally OK players but didn't stand out in any meaningfully effective way. They weren't that great at screening the defence and they offered almost nothing going forward, but they were diligent and always looked to pass the ball quickly and simply. While it's perhaps unfair to single out individuals, I'm thinking of the likes of Roddan, Cooper and even Spearing and Coady. Now, the likes of Lussey, Rossiter and Brannagan are very clever with their use of the ball and are able to make a significant impact in the final third yet still keep things simple when required, and it makes the teams they play in look that much more fluid and dangerous.

Maybe it's not so much a change in emphasis, but more the natural evolution of the players coming through the ranks from when the revised academy development scheme was put in place by the likes of Borrell and Segura. The plan itself was always intended to develop the players in this way but it needed several players to fall by the wayside because they hadn't been introduced to that system from the beginning. The ones that are involved at the moment have been more fully indoctrinated so as long as they show the right attitude and application, they'll be able to more effectively utilise their abilities.

• Upvote 1

Are the youth team developing better for having some of them train with the first team? Is there a better coaching philosophy, or is it that the legacy of such people like Borrell has put the Academy in a stronger position vs other youth team set-ups? It just seems like we're seeing a greater number of good players than before.

O'Hanlon breaks the deadlock, against the run of play it has to be said. Trickett-Smith found Sam Hart in the box, but he scuffed his shot, the ball fell kindly for O'Hanlon and the young Irishman was able to control his effort and find the back of the City net.

Halftime, Liverpool 1 City 0.

First half hour was fairly even, with City probably edging it. The last 15 minutes was all City, who put real pressure our back line. Firth has made a couple of good saves and the woodwork has denied City twice.

We've created a couple of chances in the half, not been as fluid going forward as we have been in previous games, but we've got a fair few players playing in new positions. O'Hanlon is playing wide right, Sam Hart wide left, with Ojo through the middle supported by Trickett-Smith.