You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So, what are we?

Newport

Thing is, genuine question, does anyone actually trust Rodgers to spend big money on those needed 'world class' players? It's more likely going to be a Nigerian loan signing from Inter Milan who mysteriously disappears and turns up in Monaco's reserves four days later.

Chasing a £25m-30m forward, then deciding to spend it on two Cb's, while actively conceding that the 8m CB wasn't actually going to play, was bizarre, but I think he's bought well. I'm more concerned with his inability to build, or buy, a solid base and that doesn't much look like changing. He doesn't really seem all that concerned with it. That's a problem that I think is going to make this month very, very ugly.

Chasing a £25m-30m forward, then deciding to spend it on two Cb's, while actively conceding that the 8m CB wasn't actually going to play, was bizarre, but I think he's bought well. I'm more concerned with his inability to build, or buy, a solid base and that doesn't much look like changing. He doesn't really seem all that concerned with it. That's a problem that I think is going to make this month very, very ugly.

Do you honestly think he's bought well mate? I only consider Coutinho and Sturridge to be successes at this stage, and although that seems like a good hit rate - it's only in contrast to what went before, which was Dalglish's truly awful transfer activity, but we've spunked £25 million on players like Borini and Allen. He's not actually been here that long, a season and a half, but has spent major money and got most of it quite badly wrong. He seems to think that acting swiftly and getting rid of a player who doesn't fit is a strength, but it's a weakness in my view because it says to me the homework isn't being done - that doesn't bode well for me.

It was the same in Kenny's tenure, we always get questions about the owners having to dig deep and back the manager, but we're just seeing far, far too much wasted money.

Football cliché bingo.

One of the best players in the world has a massive impact on the team and is head and shoulder ls above all the other players that aren't in the top few players in the world.

Match if the day style insight to right there.

• Upvote 1

Football cliché bingo.

One of the best players in the world has a massive impact on the team and is head and shoulder ls above all the other players that aren't in the top few players in the world.

Match if the day style insight to right there.

Eh? He has been head and shoulders over all our other players since he put the shirt on. The concern is there are about half the players in the league who are head and shoulders over a good portion of the others as well.

Llori was a target from the start of the summer.

And there's nothing wrong with changing your targets if the players you want aren't available. Defence was obviously a target as well as goals so if you can't find the attackers you want why not redirect and address another need instead of settling on a fourth fith or sixth choice target.

• Downvote 1

We're a team adapting to a new philosophy of playing football led by a young manager with young players throughout coming to terms with what's expected of them at such a big club.

We're in the top 4, bang on course to average 2 points a game this season with the chance to improve the squad in January.

• Upvote 4

Thing is, he's spent quite a lot of dollar and most of what he's bought is shite, which puts both of those notions in doubt IMO. You're always going to be a work in progress if you keep buying the wrong players which - let's be honest -has been the issue for the last four years.

Said it before but for me it's all got the hallmarks of the Roy Evans era. A mediocre squad carried by a couple of top class attackers who scintillate on their day and paper over the cracks, but are let down by shite defensive players and organisation and an - at best - mediocre midfield packed with inconsistent players who'll run riot against sides on their day and when the opposition isn't at the races, but will come a cropper when the shit really hits the fan because they don't have the ability to keep it up over the course of a season, they have to be at their very best to go toe to toe with decent footballers, and nobody can be that all the time.

You need to build from the back and make sure that when you spend money on a player they're going to get in your side.

I think this is a load of shit to be honest mate

Have you seen how many times messi, ronaldo, van persie, rooney dig their clubs out of shit performances?

And they are surrounded by some class players, which we don't have.

He has brought in a great keeper. Two good defenders. a brilliant number 10 and another brilliant striker. I know your going to point to Allen, borini etc but how many shit signings did Fergie, Wenger and Mourinho make in there managerial careers?

He has been here 18 months and we are 3rd in the league after finishing 7th, 8th and 7th. Have you seen how competitive the league is this year?

Sometimes i just can't believe the expectancy of our fans, 23 years without the league, plus 5 years without CL football and we sit 3rd but they still blast our manager.

We have a shit squad and some shit first team players...are you blaming all that on Rodgers?

• Upvote 1

We're a team adapting to a new philosophy of playing football led by a young manager with young players throughout coming to terms with what's expected of them at such a big club.

We're in the top 4, bang on course to average 2 points a game this season with the chance to improve the squad in January.

How would you describe the philosophy of football?

Do you honestly think he's bought well mate? I only consider Coutinho and Sturridge to be successes at this stage, and although that seems like a good hit rate - it's only in contrast to what went before, which was Dalglish's truly awful transfer activity, but we've spunked £25 million on players like Borini and Allen. He's not actually been here that long, a season and a half, but has spent major money and got most of it quite badly wrong. He seems to think that acting swiftly and getting rid of a player who doesn't fit is a strength, but it's a weakness in my view because it says to me the homework isn't being done - that doesn't bode well for me.

It was the same in Kenny's tenure, we always get questions about the owners having to dig deep and back the manager, but we're just seeing far, far too much wasted money.

I do think he's bought quite well. I think where he's made mistakes in the transfer market is in his priorities, which are scattered. So, for example, Joe Allen is a decent player. He's not my idea of a 15m midfielder, but if the manager thinks he's going to here for years to come, then fair enough. That, though, ignored the very obvious fact that we were desperate for a goal scoring forward with pace. Insert some much discussed shenanigans with the owners and you had a summer that crippled the season before it started. A slightly different game took place over this summer(to what degree the committee is responsible and to what degree it's Rodgers fault is something I can't be sure of) but the effect is the same, that we haven't strengthened in areas that we need players in.

I haven't seen enough of Borini, llori, or Aspas to know if they're good. I know that they were the wrong players at time they were signed, but I'm not convinced that they're a waste of money. I would give him a 6/10 in the transfer market and that's better than most, although, arguably, not enough to overcome our rivals.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think this is a load of shit to be honest mate

Have you seen how many times messi, ronaldo, van persie, rooney dig their clubs out of shit performances?

And they are surrounded by some class players, which we don't have.

He has brought in a great keeper. Two good defenders. a brilliant number 10 and another brilliant striker. I know your going to point to Allen, borini etc but how many shit signings did Fergie, Wenger and Mourinho make in there managerial careers?

He has been here 18 months and we are 3rd in the league after finishing 7th, 8th and 7th. Have you seen how competitive the league is this year?

Sometimes i just can't believe the expectancy of our fans, 23 years without the league, plus 5 years without CL football and we sit 3rd but they still blast our manager.

We have a shit squad and some shit first team players...are you blaming all that on Rodgers?

Do you think we'll finish 3rd?

that's an upbeat assessment from Coro there.  

Every year people never fail to baffle with their expectations.

Now I'm reading comments such as there are far better players throughout the league after a Suarez masterclass.

It begs 2 questions - 1. how many of those players that look great playing for Southampton or Swansea would succeed at a club like this?

2. why not just enjoy what you've seen tonight without too much analysis?