You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

UFC

Rex Banner

Guest Alex_K

to be fair, McGregor has come up 25 lbs in less than 10 months to beat a very established fighter used to fighting at that weight. A lot has been said of his waning cardio during the fight, but I'm amazed he had it in him to go the distance with all that extra bulk, not to mention how it must affect his timing & movement. I backed Nate quite heavily financially as I thought there was next to no chance Conor could beat him -- but its a sensational victory and a fair result across the rounds.

He hasnt come up nowhere near that weight. He is barely cutting to make 170lb. Id be suprised if he was walking round much about 185. He was walking around over 175lb when fighting at 145lb. He was heavily draining himself to make 145lb

Guest Alex_K

What weight did Conor fight at in the fight directly before fighting Diaz? What weight did Conor fight at in the 5 fights preceding that? If you can't understand the difference between the weight you walk around at and the weight you compete profesionally at I don't know what to say.

What weight did Conor fight at in the fight directly before fighting Diaz? What weight did Conor fight at in the 5 fights preceding that? If you can't understand the difference between the weight you walk around at and the weight you compete profesionally at I don't know what to say.

The padt two were 170 the prevous 145lb. McGregor walks round at 175lb or so when at 145lb. He would have put on a few pounds for these but not much more. He is dropping alot less to fight at 170lb and puttung less on from weigh ins to fight time.

Its like Anderson Silva figjting at 205lb. He just isnt cutting much weight for the fight

LaS VEGAS -- Chael Sonnen whipped the MMA community into frenzy -- which he is known to do -- when he said on Jim Rome last week that Conor McGregor had to cut almost 30 pounds in eight days to make featherweight. McGregor said that's just not true.

"We did have a discussion, but I think he must have misheard me, what I said," McGregor said Tuesday at UFC 189 open workouts. "But I didn't say I was that high. That's too high this close out. I'd say I walk around at that weight. He must have misheard me. I don't think anything of it."

The man himself saying he walks around at 175lb between fights

• Upvote 1

Guest Alex_K

The padt two were 170 the prevous 145lb. McGregor walks round at 175lb or so when at 145lb. He would have put on a few pounds for these but not much more. He is dropping alot less to fight at 170lb and puttung less on from weigh ins to fight time.

Its like Anderson Silva figjting at 205lb. He just isnt cutting much weight for the fight

In answer to my original question -- which you've either misunderstood or simply been mistaken -- prior to fighting Diaz at 170, he fought Aldo at 145, he fought Mendes at 145, he fought Siver at 145, he fought Poirier at 145 & he fought Brandao at 145. So regardless of your rhetoric, McGregor is factually, equivocally a 145 fighter of the past several years who leapt past lightweight and straight to 170 to fight, which is virtually unprecedented. Its an exceptional achievement.

No way

Every fighter is dropping significant weight to fight at their weight. The man has always looked like death at the weigh ins. He is easily dropping 20+ poinds to make weight. Them comments i posted from Sonnen snd Conors reply was from UFC 189 when he fought at 145lb anyway

By the way im not taking anything from Conor but fight Diaz (a true 155lb fighter) at 170lb is like fighting a true Welterweight. Both at fighting at around there walk about/camp weight.

Put Conor up with Lawler, Hendrixs,Woodley and see a true 170lb fighter. They will all be around 190lb plus on fight night.

Im not even sure Conor could be 145lb fighter these days. He hasn't fought at 145lb since the IV ban and im not sure without it he could safely make weight and rehydrate

From every thing i habe read Diaz has a 10-15lb natural weight advantage on McGregor. This is effectively McGregor stepping up one weight class.

• Upvote 1

I spoke to McGregor's team earlier this week his walk around weight is 177lbs so will still cut a little to make welterweight#UFC196

As i said he will have added a few more lean pounds to his frame but he isnt jumping up 25lb like some claim

He wasn't 170 in his 145 fights, he was 167 pounds in that fight last night with Diaz because he said in the post fight press conference he was worried he wasn't over 170 pounds when he was making his way to the venue and was trying to eat more. McGregor was about 160 in the fights against Aldo and Mendez.

20 pound weight gains in one day are ridiculous and drastically take it out of a fighter in the ring / octagon. Heaviest weight gain i've ever seen was 25 pounds with Chavez Jr. Rios used to gain about 20 and Broner was enormous for a lightweight, but more than 20 is rare. No way is it possible for him to weigh in at 145 and be 177 the next day, your talking 32 pounds, he'd kill himself. 

• Upvote 1

I have to say I enjoyed the McGregor fight a lot, those five minute rounds are brutal, man. Fair play to them.

Honestly done with boxing at this point.

Everything about the way UFC is set up just points to it talking over boxing now.

Yes there'll still be the odd big prize fight in the boxing that will capture the hype, but they will be too few and far between, actually they already are.

Guest Alex_K

Boxing remains the more classical sport, and I'm sure it'll have greater longevity than MMA, but its sadly lacking the characters UFC has at the moment.

He wasn't 170 in his 145 fights, he was 167 pounds in that fight last night with Diaz because he said in the post fight press conference he was worried he wasn't over 170 pounds when he was making his way to the venue and was trying to eat more. McGregor was about 160 in the fights against Aldo and Mendez.

20 pound weight gains in one day are ridiculous and drastically take it out of a fighter in the ring / octagon. Heaviest weight gain i've ever seen was 25 pounds with Chavez Jr. Rios used to gain about 20 and Broner was enormous for a lightweight, but more than 20 is rare. No way is it possible for him to weigh in at 145 and be 177 the next day, your talking 32 pounds, he'd kill himself.

The quote i posted was McGregor saying he walks around about 175lb between fights. Im not saying he is 175lb on fight night. He will shave a few pounds off in camp and dehydrate the rest

I can tell you most of the recent top light heavyweghts are the best part of 225+ pounds and dehydrate to make 205lb.

McGregor is likely (as he says prior to the Mendes fight) walking round at 175 or so pounds and by the end of camp in the 165-68 region leaving him 20lb to cut in water and you only have to look at him to see high fine a line it is for him to make it. Like i saud before im not even sure with the IV ban he can make it anymore.

Most fighters have a wrestling background so are used to sqeasing every bit of weight out the can

• Upvote 2

So we dont listen to the man just you guessing he's under 150lbs when fighting at feather. If he did weigh that whys he look like death at the weigh. The man is cutting serious/dangerous amounts of weight for 145lb

Frankie Edgar weighs around 155/160lbs and McGregor dwarfs him

• Upvote 1

Boxing is a nightmare these days. Every fighter has their eyes on the cash out and avoids the risky fights.

Rightly so of course from their perspective. It's just the UFC format of matchmaking and everyone being under the one organization regulates that so much better, so the fans for the most part see the best fight the best and get what they want.

I agree

Thats why im saying he will be down the higher points of 160 before the weigh ins

Look at the 170lbs Hendrixs,GSP, Woodley,Lawler etc are all in the late 180to 190lb by fight night. Jon Jones,Rumble are 220 plus.

Diego Sanchez is probably the best example to McGregor

When he fights at 145lb he was weighed in at 171lb by fight night.