You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Foodie thread

Champ

Mini rant coming:

Went to my local coffee shop this morning... http://www.pinnockscoffeehouse.com/index2.html

Lovely cup of coffee, friendly service, nothing too much trouble.

Lunchtime, had to go to Cobham, just down the road, to get kids passports done. Peckish again, and it's raining, so dive into carluccio's for a bowl of pasta and a coffee. Shit service, shit coffee, very average pasta and a surly git on the till. Corporatism and food do not mix. Use your independents!

That looks like my kind of place, there, Stringers.

Conversely, we met for coffee here on Tuesday http://www.theraeburn.com

The place has recently reopened following an extensive refurbishment (the building had lain empty for several years) and we were keen to give it the once over. Its in a lovely part of town, busy with yummy mummy and other well off types during the day, so the market is absolutely there. Well, from my experience they'll need to get their act together sharpish...what a triumph of style over substance. They've clearly spent a whack on the refurb...and it did look good...but the catering, and hospitality, seemed to have been forgotten somewhere along the line.

It was a lovely day but they wouldnt serve you food on the tables in the paved area at the front of the building and when we went to order coffee on the upstairs balcony, at 11.30, all they could offer us to eat were a couple of Danish pastries, very obviously not home made. Given that this place is directly opposite Tom Kitchen's Scran and Scallie gastro pub and another newly opened place they've got some work to do. I want them to succeed but, bloody hell, do your research

Just listening to a piece on Bristol Food Connections festival. You going lifey?

Might wander down at some point.

Meaning, is it any good?

You are in a pretty foodie are when I come to think of it. Cant be far to Ludlow either?

I been through Bristol, and food has been through me.

Made one of my more interesting curries last night - portabello mushroom.

It can end up being a bit like a spicy cream of mushroom soup, unless you get the ingredients right. You have to use proper porcini mushrooms (and portabello) and a good garam masala.

The recipe is from a very famous indian restaurant here in Vancouver (Vij's)....

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Garam-Masala-Sauteed-Portobello-Mushroom-Curry-in-Porcini-Cream-535845

If anyone is keen, I can give you some other good advice on how to get it right.