You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tottenham (H) - Sunday 10/03/13, 4PM

Bit early but given that they are playing now I thought it'd be interesting to see how people think we should approach next week.

Given our fragility at the back, it will be imperative that Brendan sets us up perfectly to deal with them next week. They aren't infallible though, despite the current wankathon suggesting as much.

Personally I believe for us to cope with Bale we have to mark him out of the game. I'm not usually in favour of man marking but if we did what Rafa did against Messi (i'm not saying Bale is as good as Messi before you shit yourself) and surround him with 1/2 players continually, we'll be able to get control of the game. At the moment Arsenal are giving him free reign (stupidly) and are allowing him to get his head up, pick his pass or run at and commit their defenders. Lucas' role next week will be imperative, and personally I'll play him with Henderson with both crowding out Tottenham's midfield.

With Suarez, Gerrard, Sturridge and Coutinho/Downing up front we should also be able to create enough to get a goal. I don't doubt that we'll score, I just hope we can contain them too.

................Pepe

Johnson Carra Agger Enrique

........Lucas Henderson

..............Gerrard

.........Suarez Coutinho

.............Sturridge

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on how this game goes today we could get within 6/7 pointd of them with victory.

I think we csn handle bale. He plays centrally now so lucas should be able to deal with him.

Dont give awsy silly frees at the edge of our area and make them worry about us

I'd like to see someone go straight through Bale early on.

I'd like to see that, and also for Sturridge to make Dawson look like a podgy cunt and turn him for fun everytime.

We can beat these, but shouldn't be too down on ourselves if we don't. They're a very good team, and have loads of confidence at the moment. We're still learning, and it's a lottery in terms of our centre backs performing.

I'd like to see someone go straight through Bale early on.

When we were good, we used to do exactly that, intimidate others from the beginning. Souness was the king of it, McMahon, Whelan and Case were not far behind... And we had a tough back four. But they all knew how to pass the ball, as well.

Started centrally today, Bale.

I'd have Henderson man mark him.

I'd be tempted to do the same.

Also Sturridge is vital for this game as I doubt they (Spurs defense) will push up with Sturridge on the pitch and if Spurs sit deep the trickery of Coutinho and Suarez may open them up.

We played them at ours last season and it ended 0-0. I can't remember if there was someone man-marking Bale or if he was being played out of position by Arry, but he wasn't effective at all that night. Spurs are on a 12 match unbeaten run. I hope it ends at Anfield.

But their defense is a bit better than it was last season, so I think we need to focus on finishing our chances and being clinical. Same team as Wigan, with a couple of changes. Henderson in for Allen and Sturridge in for Downing (but I'm ok with Downing starting and Sturridge coming on later if he's still not 100% fit).

Edited by kalasoma
wayward apostrophe

Ok lets do it

Reina or lloris

GJ or Walker

Carra or dawson

Agger or vertonghen

Enrique or assou ekotto

Lucas or parker

Gerrard or dembele

Allen or sigurdsson

Downing or lennon

Coutinho or bale

Suarez or adebayor

Based on this weeks team

Reina

GJ

Dawson

Agger or vertonghen

Enrique

Lucas

Gerrard

Sigurdsson

Lennon

Bale

Suarez

Bale has been moved to a central position over the last few games. and i imaginehe will start there for Spurs against us.. Just need to take our chances on the break and we should be fine. Dont try to push up against their pace.

We'd be changing the reason we've been so effective in the past few games. If we don't push onto Spurs then they'll push onto us. Take the game to Spurs and trust our defenders aren't as clueless as Arsenal were at playing the offiside trap.

Not sure if this will have much of an effect on them, but they've got a match against Inter (at home) on Thursday then us on Sunday.

They've won all but 2 of their league games after a European game this season.

They lost to everton and man city

Ok lets do it

Reina or lloris

GJ or Walker

Carra or dawson

Agger or vertonghen

Enrique or assou ekotto

Lucas or parker

Gerrard or dembele

Allen or sigurdsson

Downing or lennon

Coutinho or bale

Suarez or adebayor

Based on this weeks team

Reina

GJ

Dawson

Agger or vertonghen

Enrique

Lucas

Gerrard

Sigurdsson

Lennon

Bale

Suarez

I stopped debate when they both said Gerrard wouldn't get in there side, realised I was wasting my time at the point.