You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

Barcelona are not Pepe Reina's boyhood club. He started his career there, and was their first choice keeper at 19. He played against us in the 2001 UEFA Cup semi final. Gary McAllister stuck a penalty past him at Anfield.

Pepe is an Atletico Madrid fan, this is due to his dad Manuel Reina being an ex Atletico keeper.

You clearly haven't read Pepe's autobiography. He was a Barcelona fan as a child and went to the games with his dad and even got to meet some of the players of Cruyff's side because his dad also played for Barca, where Pepe was from the age of 13 and has spent a big chunk of his life at La Masia with some of the current Barcelona players.

Barcelona are not Pepe Reina's boyhood club. He started his career there, and was their first choice keeper at 19. He played against us in the 2001 UEFA Cup semi final. Gary McAllister stuck a penalty past him at Anfield.

Pepe is an Atletico Madrid fan, this is due to his dad Manuel Reina being an ex Atletico keeper.

Reins Snr also played for Barca for years.

Just saying.

Barcelona signing Neymar is great news as it also suggests that they won't be after Suarez then.

I hope we steer well clear of David Villa, because he's obviously going to be the fall guy they offload to part-fund this huge deal.

I'm still expecting a massive bid from Real Madrid though, they NEED a proper striker or two if they hope to compete next season, and there won't be many about in the elite class. Neymar gone, Falcao wont switch directly from Atletico to Real, Aguero signed a new deal with City, Van Persie can't be got. Outside chance of Ibrahimovic perhaps, and then Hulk and Mario Gomez also unknowns in terms of availability.

So I think that leaves Suarez, Cavani, Lewandowski and Tevez as the most obvious and attainable targets for them this Summer. And I think they need two strikers, because Benzema and Higuain aren't quite top bracket for me.

All the indications are that Man City will wrap the Cavani deal up next week though.

Seems higuain is talking to juve, so they would obviously need someone to replace him.

Lewandowski is off to bayern and as you said cavani most likely will end up at city. For me suarez will be off this summer and he will either end up at atletico or real. Falcao is signing for Monaco tomorrow so they will have 55million to spend on a replacement.

We've been watching him since Sporting Lisbon whipped us in the Nextgen and we got Texiera.

I heard they have a rule in Portugal where only three youngsters can sign professional contracts, that's why we nabbed Texiera, as he didn't get one - but Ilori did.

He's meant to be very quick.

Cheers for the info.

Speaking of which how is that Texiera lad coming on?

Is it just me or are wingers with pace trickery, technique, can cross and have a football brain as rare as rocking horse shit these days?

Cheers for the info.

Speaking of which how is that Texiera lad coming on?

Is it just me or are wingers with pace trickery, technique, can cross and have a football brain as rare as rocking horse shit these days?

He's doing well. He hardly played football the seaosn before last as the club wanted to solve an issue with his back, so he basically had a season out of the game. Last season though he was a regular for the under 21s and did well. He was also training with the first team at Melwood a fair bit, but then again so were a lot of that team with Suso, Robinson, Coady, Ibe etc.

He's doing well. He hardly played football the seaosn before last as the club wanted to solve an issue with his back, so he basically had a season out of the game. Last season though he was a regular for the under 21s and did well. He was also training with the first team at Melwood a fair bit, but then again so were a lot of that team with Suso, Robinson, Coady, Ibe etc.

Yes I remember the back injury he had. Was a vertebrate fracture I think. Sporting had him playing with it, not sure they knew it was fractured but still that's bad management of the player to not only play him with a dodgy back but to flog him knowing he had a long standing issue with it.

Am I reading too much into it?

Is Assaidi worth keeping or can no one say for sure because we've so little of him?

Looks like Suarez or Cavani to Real, apparently Napoli are pushing for him to go to City but he wants Real Madrid. How come Napoli will only sell for 63 million euros but we will sell for 45 million euros. Also don't spurs want like 70million euros for Bale.

Liverpool will not sell for less than €45 million

Real must make a move for Luis Suárez

Juan Castro 05/26/2013

We explained the situation surrounding any move by Real Madrid for Luis Suárez in MARCA on Friday. The club has made contact with the Uruguayan forward but two important obstacles still need to be cleared: Firstly a decision has to be taken and then an offer must be made to his club Liverpool where he is still under contract. Therefore, if any move is to be made for the player, Real Madrid must make it.

The price Liverpool is asking for the player is over €40 million as the Premier League side has no desire to sell Suárez and sources in England say no offer of less than €45 million will interest the club. Therefore without some sort of negotiation with the English club, no deal will be made.

Meanwhile, the player is waiting to see if his future can be resolved - and it is not out of the question that he remains in the Premier League. He is currently enjoying a few days of holiday in his native Uruguay before travelling to the Confederations Cup where he will face Spain and before then a friendly with France and a qualifier for the 2014 World Cup against Venezuela.

Real must make a move for Luis Suárez - MARCA.com (English version)

Cavani to Real another option .

The father of Edinson Cavani thinks the Uruguayan forward will be leaving Napoli over the summer for a move to Spain. 'The matador' does not feature in the photo of the Napoli side that will start the pre-season and his father Luis Cavani is doubtful that the club will expect his son to continue in the Serie A; "because this is a business and I think his future will be in Spain," he is reported as saying.

It seems the Italian club is ready to listen to offers for the goal-scorer and if that is the case both Real Madrid and Manchester City will fight over the player's signature.

Perez is up for reelection middle of June, maybe he wants to bear gifts. Will be interesting to see which one of us hold on to our star player and how it will influence transfers.

A few papers talk about wanting to pair Suarez and Cavani and some talk of Suarez, Bale and Ronaldo together. If it was any other club you would say impossible but this is Real Madrid.

A team with an attacking line of Suarez, Bale, Modric and Ronaldo is something that I hope never to see, and it may not be so easy for Perez. I think the 'Galacticos' days of RM are under threat as they aren't the only club now with money to build a team of super talent. Monaco might not have finished buying yet, and PSG, City, Chelsea are still going to fight it out for the best players. Bayern has already started buying up the best talent in Germany.

Just trying to sum up all the rumours (stars are strength of rumour - not players ability)

Arrivals:

Papadopolous ***

Toure ****

Alderweireld ***

Erikson **

Bergovic *

Departures

Reina ***

Suarez **

Shelvey *

Pacheco ****

Assiaidi ****

Carroll ****

Any more?

Reina definitely going ?

My mate texted me and his friends mrs works at the school that Pepe's kids are in and they have been pulled out the school she has said' date=' gotta be off surely ?[/quote']

Rumours have been pretty persistent for some time now so I reckon he is likely to be going.

I don't think Suarez will leave

I'm not so sure. I suspect that he has no plans to leave us at the moment but any player can have his head turned and there will be plenty trying to do that during the summer. Cannot see us selling him to any PL club (but I didn't think we would sell Torres to a PL club either).

I hope our summer spending is not linked to offloading Suarez?

To afford half of these players we are going to have to stump up a good few bob.

I reckon about £50m for the lot. The two from Ajax are quoted at £25m, Toure is a free, Papadopolous is quoted at £10-12m and similar for Bergovic.

If we get £15m for Carroll, £12m for Skrtel, maybe £10m for Pepe and a bit for the others it means we are only spending about £10m net. I would hope the owners are putting a lot more than that in the pot.

What seems to be consistent is the £40million figure quoted for Suarez it's almost like he has a buyout clause! which is worrying. The only positive I can see is there might not be too many places he would want to go, as I can't see him wanting to stay in England if he leaves.

Just trying to sum up all the rumours (stars are strength of rumour - not players ability)

Arrivals:

Papadopolous ***

Toure ****

Alderweireld ***

Erikson **

Bergovic *

Departures

Reina ***

Suarez **

Shelvey *

Pacheco ****

Assiaidi ****

Carroll ****

Any more?

Christian Atsu Porto Winger, leading the chase for his signature.

Reina definitely going ?

My mate texted me and his friends mrs works at the school that Pepe's kids are in and they have been pulled out the school she has said' date=' gotta be off surely ?[/quote']

Why would he pull them out of the school a month and a half before the end of the school year when he's not left yet. And the spanish league starts later than the premierleague.

Reina definitely going ?

Pulled them pout of the school totally? Or pulled them out so they can go on holiday?

I hope our summer spending is not linked to offloading Suarez?

To afford half of these players we are going to have to stump up a good few bob.

Well, let's do a little speculative maths. We are said to have £20-£25 million to spend plus sales. So, a conservative estimate of money coming in:

Carroll - £15 million

Skrtel - £12 million

Reina - £10 million

Coates - £5 million

Spearing - £3 million

Assaidi - £3 million

Jones - £500,000

+ any loan fees we might get for young players, etc.

And outgoing:

Begovic - £8 million

McCarthy - £4 million

Papadopoulos - £15 million

Ilori - £3.5 million

Toure - Free

Digne - £6 million

Aspas - £3.5 million

That leaves us with a net profit that is actually more than our initial transfer fund. We would have enough money to spend big on a midfielder or another attacker without having to sell Suarez.