You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Odd. Why compare 12/13 vs 07/08 seasons for Reina with 12/13 vs 11/12 seasons for Hart?

There is a perfectly reasonable explanation for that, last season Hart was behind a very good defense and so was Reina in 07/08, but I see now Hyypia played less than I thought so maybe i should have opted for another season for Reina than that one.

Why not analyse Reina this season?

Again, I try my best here , but I usually dont go directly to the slowly spelling out method.

The numbers for this season are there both for Reina and Hart.

People think Hart was amazing last season so I thought i should use his best season and wanted to use one for reina a couple of years back since everyone was happy with him then to see if there was much of a difference and also use a season when we had a good defense.

Erm, Reina has been shite but lets not get carried away here.

How Brad Jones is a professional football player is beyond me.

(I have a feeling your post was tongue-in-cheek but still)

Pepe Reina has-been a better goalie than jones will ever be. But right now, given a blank slate since the start of the season . . .

Pepe Reina has-been a better goalie than jones will ever be. But right now, given a blank slate since the start of the season . . .

Let me finish that off for you.

But right now, given a blank slate since the start of the season . . . Brad Jones is still utterly utterly shit (as always) and nowhere near the standard of Pepe Reina.

Again, I try my best here , but I usually dont go directly to the slowly spelling out method.

People think Hart was amazing last season so I thought i should use his best season and wanted to use one for reina a couple of years back since everyone was happy with him then to see if there was much of a difference and also use a season when we had a good defense.

You do understand that statistics mean fuck all when it comes to goalkeepers, right?

But of all the seasons to pick, 07/08? Was 08/09 not a good season for the defense (where we finished 2nd)? Didn't we have the third best defense last season or something like that? Just a question about the inclusion criteria and justification for other seasons not meeting the criteria.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Regardless of Code proving Reina is the best keeper in the league, I think he will go at the end of the season. I just hope we get somebody really good.

Why are you comparing him to others? Why aren't you watching what he does in the games and making a decision based on what you see?

Regardless of Code proving Reina is the best keeper in the league, I think he will go at the end of the season. I just hope we get somebody really good.

I don't want Reina to go because I think he might still want to stay. I also think we won't get somebody really good - or rather, I fear the owners won't pay what it costs to get someone really good to replace him.

But of all the seasons to pick, 07/08? Was 08/09 not a good season for the defense (where we finished 2nd)? Didn't we have the third best defense last season or something like that? Just a question about the inclusion criteria and justification for other seasons not meeting the criteria.

The 07/08 season was not our best defensive season, but I did not want to use the 08/09 season because hyypia was used sparingly then so it did not compare that well with City last season as was kind of the point.

I hope people also have looked at the type of goals the teams have conceded as thats part of the argument.

But we can look at long range shots as an example:

Long range shots conceded Reina vs Hart:

12/13: 4 vs 6

11/12: 2 vs 7

10/11: 5 vs 3

09/10: 2 vs 8

08/09: 3 vs 6

07/08: 2 vs 4

Reina is superior to Hart, but Hart is taller than Reina so why is that?

Could it be because Reina has a superior positioning, that he uses his feet better to be in the right position to be ready for a shot.

Shots % caught Reina vs Hart:

12/13: 60% vs 54%

11/12: 66% vs 56%

10/11: 76% vs 63%

09/10: 66% vs 69%

08/09: 75% vs 70%

07/08: 72% vs 56%

This has also got a lot to do with positioning and Reina hac catched a higher percentage of the shots against every season apart from the 09/10 season when Hart played for Birmingham.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

This is the Premier League top goalkeepers up to now of season 2112/13

Hart tops theres.

<TABLE class=players-table><THEAD><TR><TH class=alt type="ea" widget="addTooltip">R</TH><TH class=relpos></TH><TH type="ea" widget="addTooltip">LR</TH><TH class=player>Player</TH><TH>Club</TH><TH class=position type="ea" widget="addTooltip">POS</TH><TH type="ea" widget="addTooltip">APP</TH><TH type="ea" widget="addTooltip">MINS</TH><TH type="ea" widget="addTooltip">AV.SC</TH><TH type="ea" widget="addTooltip">HOME</TH><TH type="ea" widget="addTooltip">H.AV</TH><TH type="ea" widget="addTooltip">AWAY</TH><TH type="ea" widget="addTooltip">A.AV</TH><TH class=alt type="ea" widget="addTooltip">INDEX</TH></TR></THEAD><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt>25</TD><TD class="relpos movedup"></TD><TD>31</TD><TD class=player>Joe Hart</TD><TD>MCI</TD><TD class=position>Goalkeeper</TD><TD>24</TD><TD>2316</TD><TD>13</TD><TD>162</TD><TD>13</TD><TD>145</TD><TD>12</TD><TD class=alt>307 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt>28</TD><TD class="relpos moveddown"></TD><TD>26</TD><TD class=player>Petr Cech</TD><TD>CHE</TD><TD class=position>Goalkeeper</TD><TD>22</TD><TD>2070</TD><TD>14</TD><TD>149</TD><TD>14</TD><TD>154</TD><TD>14</TD><TD class=alt>304 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt>57</TD><TD class="relpos movedup"></TD><TD>60</TD><TD class=player>Tim Howard</TD><TD>EVE</TD><TD class=position>Goalkeeper</TD><TD>25</TD><TD>2413</TD><TD>11</TD><TD>146</TD><TD>11</TD><TD>125</TD><TD>10</TD><TD class=alt>271 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt>61</TD><TD class="relpos movedup"></TD><TD>63</TD><TD class=player>Simon Mignolet</TD><TD>SUN</TD><TD class=position>Goalkeeper</TD><TD>25</TD><TD>2415</TD><TD>11</TD><TD>143</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>125</TD><TD>10</TD><TD class=alt>268 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt>71</TD><TD class="relpos movedup"></TD><TD>92</TD><TD class=player>David De Gea</TD><TD>MUN</TD><TD class=position>Goalkeeper</TD><TD>17</TD><TD>1649</TD><TD>15</TD><TD>129</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>134</TD><TD>15</TD><TD class=alt>263 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt>72</TD><TD class="relpos moveddown"></TD><TD>66</TD><TD class=player>Asmir Begovic</TD><TD>STK</TD><TD class=position>Goalkeeper</TD><TD>25</TD><TD>2407</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>146</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>114</TD><TD>9</TD><TD class=alt>261 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt>94</TD><TD class="relpos movedup"></TD><TD>99</TD><TD class=player>Jussi Jaaskelainen</TD><TD>WHU</TD><TD class=position>Goalkeeper</TD><TD>24</TD><TD>2327</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>124</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>104</TD><TD>9</TD><TD class=alt>229 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt>104</TD><TD class="relpos movedup"></TD><TD>110</TD><TD class=player>Mark Schwarzer</TD><TD>FUL</TD><TD class=position>Goalkeeper</TD><TD>23</TD><TD>2213</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>150</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>81</TD><TD>7</TD><TD class=alt>231 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt>116</TD><TD class="relpos moveddown"></TD><TD>114</TD><TD class=player>Ali Al Habsi</TD><TD>WIG</TD><TD class=position>Goalkeeper</TD><TD>25</TD><TD>2410</TD><TD>9</TD><TD>105</TD><TD>8</TD><TD>114</TD><TD>10</TD><TD class=alt>219 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt>119</TD><TD class="relpos movedup"></TD><TD>124</TD><TD class=player>Bradley Guzan</TD><TD>AVL</TD><TD class=position>Goalkeeper</TD><TD>23</TD><TD>2219</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>107</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>112</TD><TD>9</TD><TD class=alt>219 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt>124</TD><TD class="relpos movedup"></TD><TD>151</TD><TD class=player>Tim Krul</TD><TD>NEW</TD><TD class=position>Goalkeeper</TD><TD>21</TD><TD>2039</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>128</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>87</TD><TD>9</TD><TD class=alt>215 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt>137</TD><TD class="relpos moveddown"></TD><TD>134</TD><TD class=player>Jose Reina</TD><TD>LIV</TD><TD class=position>Goalkeeper</TD><TD>20</TD><TD>1924</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>105</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>98</TD><TD>9</TD><TD class=alt>203 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt>140</TD><TD class="relpos movedup"></TD><TD>164</TD><TD class=player>Hugo Lloris</TD><TD>TOT</TD><TD class=position>Goalkeeper</TD><TD>15</TD><TD>1449</TD><TD>13</TD><TD>99</TD><TD>14</TD><TD>101</TD><TD>13</TD><TD class=alt>201 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt>156</TD><TD class="relpos moveddown"></TD><TD>149</TD><TD class=player>Ben Foster</TD><TD>WBA</TD><TD class=position>Goalkeeper</TD><TD>18</TD><TD>1743</TD><TD>11</TD><TD>129</TD><TD>13</TD><TD>61</TD><TD>8</TD><TD class=alt>189 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt>158</TD><TD class="relpos movedup"></TD><TD>165</TD><TD class=player>Wojciech Szczesny</TD><TD>ARS</TD><TD class=position>Goalkeeper</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>1546</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>117</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>72</TD><TD>12</TD><TD class=alt>189 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt>180</TD><TD class="relpos movedup"></TD><TD>189</TD><TD class=player>Adam Federici</TD><TD>RDG</TD><TD class=position>Goalkeeper</TD><TD>18</TD><TD>1729</TD><TD>9</TD><TD>109</TD><TD>11</TD><TD>59</TD><TD>7</TD><TD class=alt>169 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt>199</TD><TD class="relpos movedup"></TD><TD>217</TD><TD class=player>Soares Julio Cesar</TD><TD>QPR</TD><TD class=position>Goalkeeper</TD><TD>17</TD><TD>1593</TD><TD>9</TD><TD>86</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>65</TD><TD>8</TD><TD class=alt>151 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt>214</TD><TD class="relpos moveddown"></TD><TD>197</TD><TD class=player>Michel Vorm</TD><TD>SWA</TD><TD class=position>Goalkeeper</TD><TD>14</TD><TD>1318</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>88</TD><TD>11</TD><TD>54</TD><TD>9</TD><TD class=alt>142 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt>216</TD><TD class="relpos moveddown"></TD><TD>199</TD><TD class=player>John Ruddy</TD><TD>NOR</TD><TD class=position>Goalkeeper</TD><TD>13</TD><TD>1226</TD><TD>11</TD><TD>84</TD><TD>14</TD><TD>55</TD><TD>8</TD><TD class=alt>139 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt>220</TD><TD class="relpos movedup"></TD><TD>229</TD><TD class=player>Gerhard Tremmel</TD><TD>SWA</TD><TD class=position>Goalkeeper</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>1092</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>42</TD><TD>11</TD><TD>92</TD><TD>10</TD><TD class=alt>134</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I just don't understand this 'coaching' thing. It seems like a really strange excuse. He's 30 and operated at the highest level at two clubs. Having a specific coach isn't going to make him great again.

A good coach would easily pick up the areas he needed to improve on and help him get in the physical shape he should be in (the main problem imo). He doesn't look nearly as sharp as he used to be and that has changed drastically over the last couple of years, and a lot of the errors he makes are also technical errors. I would think any team would want the very best of goalkeeper coach to ensure getting the most out of a player.