You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FA Youth Cup

Gav

I was just commenting on this in the 'Other Football' thread. That was fun to watch. We're through to the fourth round now, I think.

yeah I think so..finished 5 nil...that was a great game to watch..interesting seeing the way they played and comparing it to what the first team is aiming for ..obviously having 3 or 4 players scoring helps greatly

voJL2-25OWA

Petersen is ace. So is Ibe and McLaughlin. Sinclair too... Fulton looks handy and Dunn is quality. Quite impressed with how Jones has handled playing at multiple levels as well... Lussey is probably one of the best young midfielders in the country.

And Trickett-Smith didn't even play.

voJL2-25OWA

Petersen is ace. So is Ibe and McLaughlin. Sinclair too... Fulton looks handy and Dunn is quality. Quite impressed with how Jones has handled playing at multiple levels as well... Lussey is probably one of the best young midfielders in the country.

And Trickett-Smith didn't even play.

I was forgetting about him..he can find the net too

Lost the last 3 league games prior to the cup game apparently but I'm usually very impressed when I see them

There has to be a few candidates to go all the way out of that squad. Ibe and Sinclair are perhaps the closest but Lussey, Trickett-Smith, Mclaughlin, Baio, and the left back whose name I forget, and Dunn must all be prospects.

Good to see Dunn back after a long lay off - quality goals especially the 2nd.

It amazes me how few comments and people are hardly interested in the youth / under 21s.

Yet start a topic about Benitez or Torres who are in the past of this club and you get pages and pages of replies.

I think a lot o this team look really promising.

The most promising and exciting aspect for me was the shape and playing style of the U18 team beginning to closely resemble the U21 and first team. Suddenly after years of frustration a clear path is being laid which fans can appreciate and support. One of the frustrations of the Comoli/Dalglish regime was that the 1st team played a style that apperared to differ (4-4-2) to what Seguta/Borrell were teaching at the academy (4-2-3-1). Hopefully Rodgers management will lead to more younger players being promoted to the 1st team and whilst only a small number will make the first 16 - the initial objective should be to cover the squad numbers from 17-25 - this will allow more investment directly in the first 1-16 positions and imply the death of 'squad fillers like Degen, Voronin, Jovanovic etc

Went to school with Jack Dunn and he was a quality player then too. When I was in the year 5/6 team, he was in year 4 and came into the older team and on his debut banged in 3 or 4 and missed a pen. Used to play footy with him a few years ago pretty often. Good to see him back from injury and grabbing a couple of goals too. Hopefully his injury problems have gone now and he continues to bang them in and gets a call up one day for the first team.

This is all really good stuff to read.

I think a lot of people have lost faith in the youth setup because its been so long since it unearthed a genuine massive talent of Liverpool standard (Gerrard).

Hopefully we'll hear some of the names mentioned in this thread in years to come.

This is a bit harsh on the likes of Kelly, Flannagan, Robinson, Wisdom etc and other youth lads that are breaking though at the moment.

This is a bit harsh on the likes of Kelly, Flannagan, Robinson, Wisdom etc and other youth lads that are breaking though at the moment.

I disagree, not harsh in the slightest. Whilst they're all decent players, none of those you've listed are showing any of the same signs of far greater things to come the way Gerrard was at a similar age. In my opinion of course.

Having said that, defensive players do have a tendency to mature later than attacking ones, so these guys may yet prove me wrong.

I disagree, not harsh in the slightest. Whilst they're all decent players, none of those you've listed are showing any of the same signs of far greater things to come the way Gerrard was at a similar age. In my opinion of course.

Having said that, defensive players do have a tendency to mature later than attacking ones, so these guys may yet prove me wrong.

Its a bit unfair to write every academy player off that breaks through unless they're Gerrard/Fowler/Owen standard. I think we've been doing ok recently with what's come through Sterling and Suso aren't exactly home grown but look very promising also.

Seems a strange time to have a dig at what's came through the academy, understandable when it was just Spearing coming through.

Its a bit unfair to write every academy player off that breaks through unless they're Gerrard/Fowler/Owen standard. I think we've been doing ok recently with what's come through Sterling and Suso aren't exactly home grown but look very promising also.

Seems a strange time to have a dig at what's came through the academy, understandable when it was just Spearing coming through.

Slight overreaction there squire, I haven't written anyone off, nor am I having a dig at anyone. I've said they're all decent players, and they may yet become something special, and I hope to hear some of the names mentioned in years to come. Wheres the dig and the writing off there?

If you're after an internet scrap, look elsewhere. Gave them up a while ago.