You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The ideal January signing

Bert

We won't get rid of either in my opinion (maybe Cole, actually) but nevertheless, I think squad-filling is myopic and short-termist. I'd rather we bought a world class value adding £20m player and maybe brought somebody like Bent in on loan, than sign two-three mediocre/nearly-there players on five year contracts.

I think getting Bent, even on loan, would be bad for us and what we're trying to do as a club... and the reasoning behind sending Carroll out on loan.

Not sure we can afford to have that attitude, short as we are up front. We need at least two, and we definitely can't afford two from the top drawer.

I personally can see the sense in Ince. Cheap, young, scores goals (in a poor league). If he comes here it's not a big risk.

It's Sturridge that worries me. If Walcott is digging in his heels to go somewhere other than here (which seems odd as he's a Liverpool fan) then why not go for Mertens? He's been talked about in the £12 million range, and I can't imagine his wage demands would be much different from Sturridge's. He'd be a much better fit for our system and he's a better player, full stop. It concerns me a bit that Brendan might be wearing blinders a bit when it comes to his former players.

We should buy one top-class player now, bring a stop-gap on loan, and buy another top class player in summer. In my opinion anyway. I see what you're saying but I don't feel Ince (or anybody for £4m) coming in and doing anything of note.

With regards to Mertens - I am genuinely shocked that we haven't gone in for him and that nobody else has either. He is a very good player.

I think getting Bent, even on loan, would be bad for us and what we're trying to do as a club... and the reasoning behind sending Carroll out on loan.

Bent was just a random example I plucked out of thin air. I'd rather not have him here too, so poor example on my part!

The overriding message is that our club seems to spend it's life firefighting and it needs to stop. We need to be perceptive and measured, not nearsighted and reactionary.

Anyway, I just hope Jan is successful and results start going our way.

Bent was just a random example I plucked out of thin air. I'd rather not have him here too, so poor example on my part!

The overriding message is that our club seems to spend it's life firefighting and it needs to stop. We need to be perceptive and measured, not nearsighted and reactionary.

Anyway, I just hope Jan is successful and results start going our way.

No, I agree with what you're saying in general... but I reckon that the club see Ince as more than a 'warm body' if we're trying to sign him.

Not sure we can afford to have that attitude, short as we are up front. We need at least two, and we definitely can't afford two from the top drawer.

I personally can see the sense in Ince. Cheap, young, scores goals (in a poor league). If he comes here it's not a big risk.

It's Sturridge that worries me. If Walcott is digging in his heels to go somewhere other than here (which seems odd as he's a Liverpool fan) then why not go for Mertens? He's been talked about in the £12 million range, and I can't imagine his wage demands would be much different from Sturridge's. He'd be a much better fit for our system and he's a better player, full stop. It concerns me a bit that Brendan might be wearing blinders a bit when it comes to his former players.

THIS!

@RorySmithTimes: Think Sturridge/Ince will be £18m or so the pair. Decent signings, but is this what all the fuss about the new scouting team was about?

Agreed, hardly pushed the boundaries casting the net out there.

Mediocre signings - new scout team my arse, getting frustrated with BR's only buying players he knows policy, not like he's been at a top european club like......

Rodgers wanted to buy Sinclair, the Icelandic gimp currently playing for spurs, he bought Allen and now looks to buy Sturridge. All former players of his. It reminds me of Konchesky and Hodgson in a way, and it certainly is a worry that he seems to be wearing blinders in the transfer market...Sturridge is worth 8m, not 12.

Rodgers wanted to buy Sinclair, the Icelandic gimp currently playing for spurs, he bought Allen and now looks to buy Sturridge. All former players of his. It reminds me of Konchesky and Hodgson in a way, and it certainly is a worry that he seems to be wearing blinders in the transfer market...Sturridge is worth 8m, not 12.

Sturridge is not a former player. They missed each other, at Chelsea, by a freaking year.

Last summer, we had no scouting network in place. He had to get targets all by his lonesome... So, of course he's going to go for targets that he knows.

Mediocre signings - new scout team my arse, getting frustrated with BR's only buying players he knows policy, not like he's been at a top european club like......

They're both decent players and from where we are at the moment with a pretty limited squad they should improve us. This isn't going to happen in one move, we'll need to repeatedly bring in players who are of a higher level on the assumption we move up the league and can attract them.

I do agree though that there is an element of painting by numbers with our transfer policy, a bit obvious?

Sturridge is not a former player. They missed each other, at Chelsea, by a freaking year.

Last summer, we had no scouting network in place. He had to get targets all by his lonesome... So, of course he's going to go for targets that he knows.

and whats his excuse this time?

that we only bought him a subscription to Skysports and not ESPN?

and whats his excuse this time?

that we only bought him a subscription to Skysports and not ESPN?

To be honest I think that subscription alone would let you see that there are quite a few players knocking around the German, Belgian and Dutch leagues that look decent and wouldn't cost a huge amount. Mertens looks a pretty decent player.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Perhaps he just thinks Sturridge can do well for us. Considering he has a better goals per minute played ratio than Suarez, who is one of the league's top scorers, maybe he believes he has something to offer.

Personally, I'd go for Mertens. Sturridge is good, though. He's not a Carroll, Henderson, Downing or Adam type British signing.

Then there's this desire to make out he only buys players he has worked with before, implying some sort of ignorance on his part. Totally forgetting the fact only one of his seven purchases was owned by a club he managed. Even Borini was just a six month loan as a 19 year old. It doesn't even seem to matter that Sturridge wasn't at Chelsea at the same time as Rodgers.

Edited by Numero Veinticinco

Its nothing like Konchesky.

Allen is a quality young player but struggling with form. Konchesky was 28 and always shit.

When did Rodgers state he wanted sinclair?

So what you are saying is we are over paying by 4 million for Sturridge? Pretty mild compared to how we have over spent in the past.

Or perhaps because Mertens is currently playing for a team that is fighting for the league title - a. his club refuse to even contemplate selling one of their best players mid season or b. because he is fighting for a title he doesn't want to leave mid season!

It is all very well stating player a. is better than player b. But it means nothing if player a. is not allowed to/or interested in leaving.

Sturridge will get goals and I wouldn't be against signing him. It's just the more I think about it now deals seem to have been agreed for him and Ince, it just seems very unambitious. Yes they'll improve us. No they aren't of a standard to convince a Suarez, Agger or Johnson that it's worth sticking around.

For £20m I think you'd be in with a very good chance of getting a striker like Soldado or an attacker like Muniain. First team,first choice quality.

Get another of similar quality in the summer and suddenly you've got seven, maybe eight players who wouldn't look out of place at almost any club in Europe.

Sturridge and Ince could be worse could be much better though. I know Rodgers didn't cross paths with Sturridge at Chelsea but I assume some of the city scouts know him from his time at City maybe!.

Ince is obviously well known to Frank McParland and the rest so you could make a case that it is quite a conservative approach of buying players we know Allen, Borini, Sturridge and Ince so far. The couple we didn't have any dealings seem to be out of the first team plans at the moment Sahin and Oussadi.

One thing is for sure is any chance of Gerrard playing further forward looks to be totally squashed and his place will be as one of the three in midfield.

Then there's this desire to make out he only buys players he has worked with before, implying some sort of ignorance on his part. Totally forgetting the fact only one of his seven purchases was owned by a club he managed. Even Borini was just a six month loan as a 19 year old. It doesn't even seem to matter that Sturridge wasn't at Chelsea at the same time as Rodgers.

Pisses me off to no end, this. This and people who say he only tries to sign Swansea players.

Sturridge will get goals and I wouldn't be against signing him. It's just the more I think about it now deals seem to have been agreed for him and Ince, it just seems very unambitious. Yes they'll improve us. No they aren't of a standard to convince a Suarez, Agger or Johnson that it's worth sticking around.

For £20m I think you'd be in with a very good chance of getting a striker like Soldado or an attacker like Muniain. First team,first choice quality.

Get another of similar quality in the summer and suddenly you've got seven, maybe eight players who wouldn't look out of place at almost any club in Europe.

How does it seem unambitious? We've agreed deals for two young, quick, exciting players who know where the net is and the transfer window isn't even open for another two weeks.

I read this forum approx every day without posting many comments, and some of the reds on here make me ashamed to be a red sometimes, try actually turning up at Anfield and supporting your team home or away instead of silly delusional comments slating the team, manager and players. Zico, lapsakus or whatever your name is your a pair of whoppers do yourself a favour and support the manc shite