Quantcast
Playstation 4 - TNF - Techy Nerd Forum - The Liverpool Way

FREE TRIAL SUBSCRIPTION with every new registration!

Register on the forums today and receive three month's FREE access to all subscriber only content, including match reports, the TLW Diary and Premier League Round Ups. Registration costs nothing and there is no obligation to continue with your subscription once the free three month trial has expired. 

To register a FREE account with us, click here, and then be sure to check the box for 'the FREE Monty' to receive immediate access to the subscriber only content and exclusive Members Forum.

Support the site

Follow TLW

TLW Facebook TLW Google+ TLW Podcast TLW Youtube TLW RSS

Advertisement

Uncle Sam Sports

Sponsored Links

Photo
- - - - -

Playstation 4

• Please log in to reply
891 replies to this topic

#1 Sut

Sut

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

PlayStation 4 revealed | News | Edge Online

Playstation 4 Revealed

Development sources with working knowledge of both next generation consoles have told us that PlayStation 4 will be more powerful than the next Xbox, will ship with a redesigned controller and launch by the end of the year in Japan and the US. PlayStation 4’s European launch will follow in early 2014.

Sony is set to reveal its next PlayStation on Wednesday February 20th at an event dubbed ‘see the future’. Sony Computer Entertainment released a teaser video last night to announce the event. Below, our sources revealed what to expect from PlayStation 4.

The controller

Sources close to the hardware have revealed to us that PS4 will ship with a redesigned controller which is the same size as an existing DualShock but features a small touchpad in place of the existing Select, Start and PS buttons. The tech is based on Vita’s rear touchpad, and is similarly responsive in use.

A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.

The launch

We’re told that PlayStation 4 will launch in Japan and the US by Christmas, with a Euro rollout following in early 2014, the delay attributed to the complexities involved in European distribution. Alongside the console, Sony will also introduce a new, improved iteration of its PlayStation Eye peripheral, which remains compatible with the PlayStation Move controller. Move will be available at launch, but it’s not clear yet whether it will be bundled with the hardware.

The specification

Sony has already earned an enormous amount of goodwill among studios working with PS4 development hardware. Privately, Sony representatives have conceded that the company made a mistake in creating such esoteric architecture for PS3, and its strategy for PS4 gives developers more opportunities this time around, notably because the hardware is much more PC-like in its makeup than PS3.

We have confirmed with sources that recently leaked tech specs are accurate. Though Durango devkits offer 8GB of DDR3 RAM, compared to Orbis’s 4GB, Sony’s GDDR5 solution is capable of moving data at 176 gigabytes per second, which should eliminate the sort of bottlenecks that hampered PS3 game performance. Importantly, we’ve learned that Sony has told developers that it is pushing for the final PS4 RAM to match up to Microsoft’s 8GB.

Both platforms are driven by eight-core AMD CPUs clocked at 1.6GHz, with Microsoft opting for a D3D11.x GPU from an unknown source and Sony utilising a more capable solution in AMD’s ‘R10XX’ architecture, alongside the so-called ‘Liverpool’ system-on-chip.

It’s clear Sony has designed a system that, on paper, outperforms Microsoft’s next Xbox. One source familiar with both platforms tells us that in real terms Sony’s console is “slightly more powerful” and “very simple to work with”.

Ultimately, the performance differences between the two consoles will have as much bearing on multiplatform releases as the differences between PS3 and 360 – very little – but Sony will be expecting big-budget firstparty releases such as the PS4 Uncharted sequel to demonstrate its console’s superiority.

#2 Dynamite

Dynamite

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

Been keeping an eye/ear out for the this very thing since I first heard about Orbis, and Durango to a lesser sense.

The devkit leaks have become far more consistent in their content over the past couple of months, so I reckon we must be very close to the final product now.

As a PlayStation fan(boy), it's good to see that Sony are actually getting a leg up on Microsoft this time round as far as reveals and potential release dates are concerned. I'm sure Microsoft will also be launching their new console by the end of this year as well.

However, I can't help but wonder if this announcement is being made now to also get a leg up on Valve's Steam Box, which I believe could be the major player in the gaming/entertainment market over the next few years.

Worth noting that the number 4 is an unlucky number in Japan, so many believe that we may just come to know this new console as, The PlayStation. No matter its name, I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do, before eventually getting my hands on one on release day.

#3 FrenchEyeGlass

FrenchEyeGlass

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

Been keeping an eye/ear out for the this very thing since I first heard about Orbis, and Durango to a lesser sense.

The devkit leaks have become far more consistent in their content over the past couple of months, so I reckon we must be very close to the final product now.

As a PlayStation fan(boy), it's good to see that Sony are actually getting a leg up on Microsoft this time round as far as reveals and potential release dates are concerned. I'm sure Microsoft will also be launching their new console by the end of this year as well.

However, I can't help but wonder if this announcement is being made now to also get a leg up on Valve's Steam Box, which I believe could be the major player in the gaming/entertainment market over the next few years.

Worth noting that the number 4 is an unlucky number in Japan, so many believe that we may just come to know this new console as, The PlayStation. No matter its name, I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do, before eventually getting my hands on one on release day.

I don't think it ever will be, mainly because Steam have run into a lot of trouble of late. Microsoft and Sony's investment in their next gen consoles is testament to the durability of the home console as opposed to cloud gaming.

However - Sony's acquisition of Gaikai (which was said to generally have better prospects than Valve) a while back shows that their future consoles will incorporate Cloud gaming too. Since they bought Gaikai the company has been largely silent and I wouldn't be surprised if the PS4 offers cloud gaming services out of the box.

The problem with new players like Steam and On Live is that for them to enter the race they're going to need serious clout. Their current offerings aren't enough to convince a large enough user base to switch in my opinion. The gaming industry is heavily reliant on the developers (what is point of a console with no games?) many of whom have close and expensive ties to the dominant players in Sony and Microsoft.

I just think the SteamBox (and the similar OnLive system) is the wrong way for these companies to go. Who want's a third console to play games they can play on the PS3 and the XBox? For the latter two to negate the threat all they really have to do is exploit their online stores. OnLive and Valve would be better off trying to team up with the biggies or working with companies like Google/Asus/Apple to bring out a tablet which would utilize their system, as the Nexus 7 can to an extent.

#4 FrenchEyeGlass

FrenchEyeGlass

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:30 PM

With regards to the PS4, i'm excited but perhaps not as much as everybody else.

I'll be happier when more is invested in development houses and we see some new, creative, worth-45-bloody-quid games. I'm sick of seeing the tiresome COD franchise being milked to the bone with yearly rahashes of the same damn game with an added map in an airport. Meanwhile EA are keen to bring out a FIFA 13 for the Vita which was exactly the same game (seriously) as the one they brought out half a year prior!

Gaming unfortunately went from gameplay to graphics. I didnt spend £45 to gaze at a bunch of realistic trees. So much of what is released today is absolutely shite (aside from the odd game) that its hard to get excited about how much RAM the next Playstation will have. All it will mean is better graphics, HHHHD. Woohoo, can't wait.

Then you have the flipside in Nintendo trying to make everything as gay as humanely possible (and then Sony and Microsoft followed suit). Waving around a fucking stick doesn't add a dimension to the gameplay you bellends - it just means i'm shaking a stick as opposed to pressing a button. And by the way, Mario was a great invention - 15 years ago. Donkey Kong was a great invention - 15 years ago. Zelda was amazing - 15 bloody years ago. Thick of something new and stop whoring out the same old shit for gods sake.

#5 Agt Provocateur

Agt Provocateur

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

Might be a different name in Japan and the PS4 around the rest of the world, that one is an interesting conundrum.

Buy my book you bastards!

http://www.amazon.co...s=mother russia

#6 celeryBADboy

celeryBADboy

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

Never understood the fascination with console my lap top is better in specs than a ps3
One stick of Celery a Day makes the women want to play.

#7 Joe Le Taxi

Joe Le Taxi

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

The number 4 and death translate to the same word in Japanese.

Haha, you use internet explorer.

#8 Sut

Sut

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

The next Xbox: Always online, no second-hand games, 50GB Blu-ray discs and new Kinect | News | Edge Online

Microsoft’s next console will require an Internet connection in order to function, ruling out a second-hand game market for the platform. A new iteration of Xbox Live will be an integral part of Microsoft’s next console, while improved Kinect hardware will also ship alongside the unit.

Sources with first-hand experience of Microsoft’s next generation console have told us that although the next Xbox will be absolutely committed to online functionality, games will still be made available to purchase in physical form. Next Xbox games will be manufactured on 50GB-capacity Blu-ray discs, Microsoft having conceded defeat to Sony following its ill-fated backing of the HD-DVD format. It is believed that games purchased on disc will ship with activation codes, and will have no value beyond the initial user.

Our source has also confirmed that the next Xbox’s recently rumoured specs are entirely accurate. That means an AMD eight-core x64 1.6GHz CPU, a D3D11.x 800MHz graphics solution and 8GB of DDR3 RAM. As of now, the console’s hard drive capacity is said to be undecided, but Microsoft’s extended commitment to online delivery suggests that it will be the largest unit it has put inside a console to date.

Though the architectures of the next-gen Xbox and PlayStation both resemble that of PCs, several development sources have told us that Sony’s solution is preferable when it comes to leveraging power. Studios working with the next-gen Xbox are currently being forced to work with only approved development libraries, while Sony is encouraging coders to get closer to the metal of its box. Furthermore, the operating system overhead of Microsoft’s next console is more oppressive than Sony’s equivalent, giving the PlayStation-badged unit another advantage.

Unlike Nintendo, Microsoft is continuing to invest heavily in motion-control interfaces, and a new, more reliably responsive Kinect will also ship alongside the next Xbox. Sony’s next-generation console camera system is said to have a similar set of features, and is expected to be discussed at the company’s PlayStation event on February 20.

#9 Lord Flashheart

Lord Flashheart

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

If that's true they can get fucked.
Ugh! How disgusting. A Boche on the sole of my boot. I shall have to find a patch of grass to wipe it on! Probably get shunned in the officers' Mess; sorry about the pong you fellas, trod in a Boche and couldn't get rid of the whiff!

#10 gumps

gumps

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

Constant internet connection? Blocking 2nd hand games? Oh dear.

An oppressive Microsoft OS? Who'd have though it.

Oh and another thing, I wish motion control would just die the death it deserves and fuck the fuck off!

#11 FrenchEyeGlass

FrenchEyeGlass

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

If true, why the fuck bother with physical games? If internet is essential then why not just make users download games?

Either way the premise is a load of balls. Surely there is some kind of law they're infringing on. So if I have game and I want to lend it to a mate, I can't? Even though its my property and it cost me 50 fucking quid.

If it goes this way then I hope they get hacked in the arse and freeloaded like fuck. Robbing bastards.

#12 Sut

Sut

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

The way it was mooted a while back was that you would be able to lend it to a mate but they would have to purchase a temporary license to use the game.

Sony have kind of brought something like this in through the back door with the Vita. When you install a gamecard on the system you can play it on another one but can't obtain trophies unless its uninstalled on the original system. It's not too far a step to take to make the game unusable on a different system without making people pay. It is a bit disconcerting.

#13 Dynamite

Dynamite

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:57 PM

It's the way the industry is going. The second hand gaming market is going to become obsolete for games on the next generation consoles.

If it's not through design of the hardware, then it will be killed by the publishers.

#14 Sut

Sut

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

Don't Ubisoft and EA do something similar at the moment? With Uplay and whatever the EA version is?

#15 Dynamite

Dynamite

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:01 PM

Don't Ubisoft and EA do something similar at the moment? With Uplay and whatever the EA version is?

For their online passes, yes. You can still play their games offline, I believe.

If you purchase an EA or Ubisoft game second hand, then you need an online pass to use multiplayer. You'd need to purchase a new online pass, if the pass that came with the game originally had been used.

#16 Sut

Sut

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

That's it. Couldn't remember exactly how they worked as I haven't been near for the Need for Speed or the Assassin's Creed games for ages.

#17 FrenchEyeGlass

FrenchEyeGlass

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:37 AM

The way it was mooted a while back was that you would be able to lend it to a mate but they would have to purchase a temporary license to use the game.

What a retarded concept. If I was going to my friends or a family members to play a bit of FIFA there is no way either would go to the hassle of buying some sort of licence.

I dont think it will happen. It would be commercial suicide if they did this and Sony didn't follow suit. The only way this would happen would be if both companies had a pre-agreement to go down the same path.

Anyhow. I severely hope that if anything like this does happen the systems get hacked to fuck (and they will).

#18 Dynamite

Dynamite

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:57 AM

What a retarded concept. If I was going to my friends or a family members to play a bit of FIFA there is no way either would go to the hassle of buying some sort of licence.

I dont think it will happen. It would be commercial suicide if they did this and Sony didn't follow suit. The only way this would happen would be if both companies had a pre-agreement to go down the same path.

Anyhow. I severely hope that if anything like this does happen the systems get hacked to fuck (and they will).

Dude, try taking a copy of FIFA to a mates house now to play online. Unless you have the online pass from EA for that copy of the game, registered to the device you're trying to play on, it shouldn't allow you to play online.

This has been the case for a couple of years now with EA products. The concept is not new, and unfortunately it is the way that online gaming was always going to be headed. Even more unfortunate now is that offline gaming also looks as though it's headed that way too...

As far as the hacking thing goes, if people are paying to play online, the expectation will be that the experience suffers as little down time as possible, so I would expect better security from Microsoft, Sony or whomevers servers you are using to play your game online.

#19 Lord Flashheart

Lord Flashheart

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:02 AM

They need to reduce the prices of games if doing this.If I can download the newest games straight to my hardrive I don't see why the should cost more than £25/30.They ate cutting out the middleman so make more money anyway.
I'd pay that amount for new games.
Its put me off buying the new consoles or at least the xbox if Sony are not doing the same thing.
Ugh! How disgusting. A Boche on the sole of my boot. I shall have to find a patch of grass to wipe it on! Probably get shunned in the officers' Mess; sorry about the pong you fellas, trod in a Boche and couldn't get rid of the whiff!

#20 Dynamite

Dynamite

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:09 AM

They need to reduce the prices of games if doing this.If I can download the newest games straight to my hardrive I don't see why the should cost more than £25/30.They ate cutting out the middleman so make more money anyway.
I'd pay that amount for new games.
Its put me off buying the new consoles or at least the xbox if Sony are not doing the same thing.

Everyone will be doing it, mate. Sony might not do it straight away, but it won't take them long to start. EA and Ubisoft are just 2 of the publishers aleady utilising online passes, it won't be long before Activision and the rest follow suit.

As annoying as it is, there will be no second hand gaming market for the next generation consoles. You can also add future PC titles to that as well.

I fully agree with the statement regarding games being made available at a cheaper price if they are to be downloaded directly from the online stores to your device.

However, the option to do that is currently available now on Live and PSN and the cost of new releases is greater than if you went out and bought the title at your local gaming store...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users