You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

My internet

Wor Horse

I posted my speedtest results the other day when I had 10m broadband and it was something shite like 0.38 at the back of the house and barely 6 in the room the router is in.

So I upgraded to 50m and i've just sorted it out, done a speedtest and the highest it's been is 12m in the room the router is in, haven't even checked the back of the house yet.

Will it get faster over time as it's just been installed or will i need to ring Virgin?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's fucked.

It's this SuperHub, been googling it and so many people have had problems with it, the wireless speedtest is like 1.83 literally 2 foot away from the Hub. It should be 50mg. At the back of the house it doesn't even work, at 10meg it worked but videos took ages to load now there's just absolutely nothing

Now it's 5 times faster and the range of it is shite. I've got a fairly big living room and the router has been moved from one end of it to the front of the house, surely at 50mg the internet should reach the fucking shed!

The connection fluctuates, I connect it wired and turn wireless off and do a speedtest and it goes from 4mg to 49mg and constantly changes. It's just pure shit.

If you're thinking of upgrading stay away from the SuperHub. Gonna ring these in the morning and cause murder.

It's fucked.

It's this SuperHub, been googling it and so many people have had problems with it, the wireless speedtest is like 1.83 literally 2 foot away from the Hub. It should be 50mg. At the back of the house it doesn't even work, at 10meg it worked but videos took ages to load now there's just absolutely nothing

Now it's 5 times faster and the range of it is shite. I've got a fairly big living room and the router has been moved from one end of it to the front of the house, surely at 50mg the internet should reach the fucking shed!

The connection fluctuates, I connect it wired and turn wireless off and do a speedtest and it goes from 4mg to 49mg and constantly changes. It's just pure shit.

If you're thinking of upgrading stay away from the SuperHub. Gonna ring these in the morning and cause murder.

the connection speed of it doesn't affect the strength of the signal of the wireless. If it is poor when wired too, then it is both the connection AND the wireless signal.

Seems to have sorted itself out now after I pissed about with the connection settings on the actual desktop.

Dunno why though because I don't think I did anything major. I'm still only getting 25mg though sitting 2 foot away from the Hub.

Well you are entitled to think that but youd be wrong. Have fun speaking to an Indian callcentre and wasting a week of your life waiting for a replacement that will have the exact same issue when it arrives.

Why's that then?

super hub slow wireless connection - Google Search

Seems to have sorted itself out now after I pissed about with the connection settings on the actual desktop.

Dunno why though because I don't think I did anything major. I'm still only getting 25mg though sitting 2 foot away from the Hub.

Why's that then?

super hub slow wireless connection - Google Search

You still haven't fixed the problem but I'm not going to sit here and argue with you, you are entitled to your ignorance. There is no problem with your hub, the problem is the environment, I have told you what to do to get your speeds sorted and I don't need a load of fellow ignorant people on google to clarify what the issue is in your case thanks, you've wasted your time Ii don't see why you should waste mine also.

Guest Scaramanga
You need to make sure the router isn't on the floor, also log into the router and change the channel in the settings to 1 or 13. That will save you a phone call.

Channel 13 is an overlapping channel.

Channels 1,6 and 11 are where the smart money is. But you should let the router choose the least congested channel of it's own accord.

Channel 13 is an overlapping channel.

Channels 1,6 and 11 are where the smart money is. But you should let the router choose the least congested channel of it's own accord.

No way, you only need to use 1 or 13 is most cases. Channel 6 you need to avoid like the plague, by default most routers are on ch6 so you avoid that as a general rule. The autochannel default in the superhub is crap so no real use. 1 is good but 11 is neither here nor there, you may as well try 12. The channel frequencies are on a range so you go to one the lowest or 13 the highest then work backwards from there to find the best channel.

Thats all he needs to do anyway, there is no fault that would cause what he is describing but interference or router postion related.

Guest Scaramanga
No way, you only need to use 1 or 13 is most cases. Channel 6 you need to avoid like the plague, by default most routers are on ch6 so you avoid that as a general rule. The autochannel default in the superhub is crap so no real use. 1 is good but 11 is neither here nor there, you may as well try 12. The channel frequencies are on a range so you go to one the lowest or 13 the highest then work backwards from there to find the best channel.

Thats all he needs to do anyway, there is no fault that would cause what he is describing but interference or router postion related.

No dude. Channel seperation is very important, and 13 is overlapping. Choosing channel 12 will cause problems with everyone in your area who is on channel 11.

There are other factors to consider when looking at a particular problem, although I wouldn't agree that router positioning would be one of them, after considering how he described his problem.

The superhub may indeed be crap at choosing the least congested channel if it is doing so using proprietary methods, but if it's WIFI certified then i'd leave it be.

No dude. Channel seperation is very important, and 13 is overlapping. Choosing channel 12 will cause problems with everyone in your area who is on channel 11.

There are other factors to consider when looking at a particular problem, although I wouldn't agree that router positioning would be one of them, after considering how he described his problem.

The superhub may indeed be crap at choosing the least congested channel if it is doing so using proprietary methods, but if it's WIFI certified then i'd leave it be.

Sorry mate, I fix at least two of these a day and I know the product in my sleep. Tthe auto channel may find a channel that works but it doesn't find the best channel very well and often doesn't work at all at finding a channel. The manufacturers themselves say it should be at least 3 feet off the ground level, a tad excessive maybe but he hasn't said if thats the case or not anyway. I'd say it's unlikely but possible related to the position, the higher off the ground the better chance to get the best signal, you don't put a tv aerial on the floor and expect to get a good tv signal. So choosing channel 11 will not cause a problem if other people are on 11 but if he selects 12 then it will cause problems for those on channel 11? It doesn't figure? Tthe stuff about overlapping is an interesting theory but in practice matters little. All he needs to do is find a channel no one else is using and thats it.

I know this because as I say I have fixed this fault about 200 times and that includes my own at home. 13 is better than 11 as it's a higher range on the frequencies available.

Edited by dennis tooth

Guest Scaramanga
Sorry mate, I fix at least two of these a day and I know the product in my sleep. Tthe auto channel may find a channel that works but it doesn't find the best channel very well and often doesn't work at all at finding a channel. The manufacturers themselves say it should be at least 3 feet off the ground level, a tad excessive maybe but he hasn't said if thats the case or not anyway. I'd say it's unlikely but possible related to the position, the higher off the ground the better chance to get the best signal, you don't put a tv aerial on the floor and expect to get a good tv signal. So choosing channel 11 will not cause a problem if other people are on 11 but if he selects 12 then it will cause problems for those on channel 11? It doesn't figure? Tthe stuff about overlapping is an interesting theory but in practice matters little. All he needs to do is find a channel no one else is using and thats it.

I know this because as I say I have fixed this fault about 200 times and that includes my own at home. 13 is better than 11 as it's a higher range on the frequencies available.

Sorry dude, I build and manage enterprise wireless networks for a living. I'm actually heavily qualified in this field.

The reason for the "above 3 feet", is to mitigate the effects of delay spread through signal reflection straight from the floor. Only really necessary, on a shiny surface, not carpet (mosy peoples homes).

Channel overlap is not a theory, it's good practice to have seperation between the channels to avoid interference. Although you can use the non-recommended channels, i'd only recommend that after a thorough site survey with the use of a spectrum analyser.

It's not a case of higher frequency the better, and not use the channel that no-one else is using. I bet nobody in my area is on channel 2, but I wouldn't use it because it overlaps with channel 1, thus causing interference.

To further expand your knowledge on the subject, I recommend reading the study guide for CWNA CWNA: Certified Wireless Network Administrator Official Study Guide: Exam PW0-104 CWNP Official Study Guides: Amazon.co.uk: David D. Coleman, David A. Westcott: Books It expands on a lot of the topics i've touched on, such as delay spread, signal propagation, channel patterns/frequencies/channel seperation.

And no, if I put my TV aerial on the floor I probably wouldn't get a good picture. But that is a reciever, not transceiver as is the case with all wireless routers/modems.