You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Black managers...where are they?

theacademic

Still you. Spelling a word wrong does not mean I can not comprehend English, it just means I have trouble remembering how to spell that word. If your comprehension of English was good enough, you'd know that. Comprehension is understanding something, not articulating it or being able to spell the odd word.

You lecture me on my poor understanding of English yet you cannot conquer its most basic form,spelling!

Brilliant.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You lecture me on my poor understanding of English yet you cannot conquer its most basic form,spelling!

Brilliant.

I'm sure you've never spelled a word incorrectly in your life. Spelling is quite clearly not the most basic form of English, that would be the alphabet, that's why you learn the alphabet before you learn to spell. People have thought these things through you know. Once you learn the alphabet, then you learn to spell.

I'm sure you've never spelled a word incorrectly in your life. Spelling is quite clearly not the most basic form of English, that would be the alphabet, that's why you learn the alphabet before you learn to spell. People have thought these things through you know. Once you learn the alphabet, then you learn to spell.

You don't have to reply to everything everybody says.

You're fighting a losing battle in this thread tbh, everything you said is there in black and white (no pun intended)

ive always considered it a place to have a chat about football,full on serious debates on internet forum dont interest me tbh.

but saying that,im refusing to debate this because its not a debatable subject,plus all you have to do is google "black managers england" or something similar and you will find loads,from black people talking about their experience.

as for not trusting black people,it just seems some are of the opinion that race is being used by black people as an excuse for them not getting jobs in the football league.

not quite trusting their word.

Fair enough and I'm in no doubt that racism exists working for and against whites, asians and black people across the globe. Having said that I am also of the opinion that some folk use it as an excuse to avoid facing the simple truth of not being good enough- as I said I have actually seen this in action.

As regards to football how many good players (of all colours) are now actually moving into this field? Players retiring since the start of the Premier league are often financially independant and thus prefer to move into the easier world of media to supplement their lifestyle after all they don't have to attend classes and get their coaching badges etc. do they?

Pulis isn't a bad manager but my point from the start was talking about top jobs, if people bothered to read my posts and not just pick out what they wanted to see rather than what was there we wouldn't have this problem.

This thread is about the lack of black managers in professional football, there are only 2 black managers in the whole football league of 92 clubs. There is no reason to expect to see black managers at the top clubs, just the best managers whatever colour. But one would expect to see a more than 2 black managers, whether they are infact good or bad, in the whole of the football league due to the amount of black players in football over the last 30 years at all levels. It is clearly not representative, and that is what the issue is.

Why are you going on about top managers when that is not the issue?

So now we know you have been having a different conversation from everyone else, perhaps you could answer why you think there are a lack of black managers in the whole football league? Is it still because they tend to be fast and so don't think about the game as much?

The type of player you are tends to have an impact on the type of manager you are, there are other factors but shit players can make great managers and great players can make great managers, I can't think of any alright players that spring to mind in the modern game that have gone on to make great managers.

Perhaps because average players have to start lower down as they aren't given the opportunity that the great players are given to manage their first club. So from the modern game these players are still working their way up. But there are loads of average players who could become great over time and given the right chances, Martinez at Wigan, Owen Coyle, Moyes, Di Matteo, Gus Poyet, Lee Clark, Simon Grayson, Eddie Howe, Karl Robinson etc.

Many of the great managers now were players from the pre modern game, but many were average players, so from the "younger" ones you are talking, Benitiez, Ancelotti, Mourinho, and from the older ones you have Ferguson, Wenger, and Capello, who were all average players by all accounts.

You've just talked about Scholes and how much he has to think about the game and how much he has to know about it to continue playing at his age especially (:O ageist) and yet you want to suggest that would in no way give him a good footing in management? Of course it would, he'd have more to do obviously than just know what he knew as a player but it's a great starting point, same reason I think Carragher would make a great manager and Xavi for that matter.

I am not suggesting it would not give him a good footing, where have I done that? I am saying that it doesn't mean he will be a good manager. I think he doesn't have the personality to be a good manager in my opinion as he is quite shy and reserved, does not like to be in the public light etc, he lacks the mental side of it that is required.

Carra could make a good manager as he eat, sleeps, drinks football and seems to have the drive to do it. It does not mean he will be a good manager though, as there is a hell of a lot more to it than type of player.

I think the point about there only being 2 black,do we also include asian in that description? managers in the football league is a valid one and the one that should raise the most concern.

If we conform to the 'black players are stronger and faster than their white colleagues' then this would apply a lot more outside the Premier League,the best league in the world? because athleticism and strength are better applied in the lower leagues based on the poorer quality of football i have seen.

Guest Scaramanga
1) Is the disproportionately small number of black managers a case of football being out of step with the rest of society or a reflection of wider social affairs?

Football is out of step

Football reflects society

I don't like either of those options but have to pick one.

I didn't really like the question, or the options either, so I opted for a brew instead of filling in the questionnaire.

"Black people run fast, and are therefore stupid".

You're going to get fucking ruined over these comments, you hateful fucking stupid fucking twat, and rightly so.

Have a nice evening, cunt.

That's not what he was saying. TheResonator, more eloquently, explained this a few pages back. Untie your knickers mate.

I agree with a few of the posters on here, this is making an issue out of a non issue. If you have the ability, you'll get the job. I don't see that colour is an issue.

I didn't really like the question, or the options either, so I opted for a brew instead of filling in the questionnaire.

That's not what he was saying. TheResonator, more eloquently, explained this a few pages back. Untie your knickers mate.

I agree with a few of the posters on here, this is making an issue out of a non issue. If you have the ability, you'll get the job. I don't see that colour is an issue.

I disagree with this at lower levels but think that at the top level you have more chance regardless of race.

Nationality on the other hand is different kettle of fish,although I'm not saying most british managers arent crap.

I agree with all of this and most of what the Woolster said in his above post.

Woolster I think we basically agree that there are many factors (we've both named some) that go into whether or not you will be a success or not at management. If you concede that the type of player you are gives you a "good footing" then this is also one such factor.

I can't post as much in here now anyway as racism takes up most of my day and at night I just like a cup of tea.