You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Reina not ruling out Utd move

Keeper considers his future options

By Pete O'Rourke -Follow me on Twitter @skysportspeteo Last updated: 8th February 2011

Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina has refused to rule out a move to bitter rivals Manchester United.

United are considering their goalkeeping options as they seek a replacement for Edwin van der Sar when the Dutchman hangs up his gloves at the end of the season.

Reina has been mooted as a possible transfer target after establishing himself as one of the best keepers in Europe during his time at Liverpool.

The 28-year-old has admitted he could be tempted to make the move to Old Trafford as he wants to be challenging for trophies on a consistent basis.

"Yes, well Van der Sar will hang up his gloves in the summer so of course they are looking," Reina told Spanish radio station Ondo Sera. "I can't do anything. I can't say anything logically as I have a contract with Liverpool.

"Of course one likes to fight for titles and be in a team that does that. We always fought to be in the Champions League and try to win the title. But unfortunately it hasn't been the case in the last couple of years."

Former Barcelona and Villarreal custodian Reina has left the door open to quit Anfield if they fail to qualify for the Champions League.

"I won't lie, I want to play in the Champions League and challenge for titles," added Reina

Reina not ruling out Utd move | Sky Sports | Manchester United News | Football | Premier League

---------------------------------------------------------

We'll see if he really made these quotes or if the translation is right. But would have liked him to be a little less ambiguous.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully just papers being their usual selves - trying to unsettle us because things are on the up. I really believe that Pepe is different but after torres you never know. Pepe is one of my favourite LFC players ever but if he goes Kenny will replace him and we will continue on the road to glory.

Guaranteed that he wasn't talking specifically about United when talking about his contract.

Guaranteed that they asked if United would be shopping for a goalkeeper in the summer.

Guaranteed they asked him how he felt about not being in the Champions League and not challenging for the league title.

Fucking shite writers.

Much like the Torres shite when people were saying how much he loved us and would never leave, etc, this Reina thing is an issue we must be aware of. If we remain a Europa Cup team then we will lose him. Of that there is no question. However, with Reina, I think if we were to get the right players in early this summer, then I think he would give us another season out of the CL to show we can match his ambitions.

With the qoutes above however, I'd be willing to bet they stretch out a wee bit more with a few other lines missing that make the story a bit different. I doubt Reina would publically say he would move to Utd. However, privately, it's hard to to tell, but I doubt he would move to them.

But lets not fool ourselves that this fella wants to be challening for the CL again. And he will leave if it's not happening for him here. Makes it all the more important that FSG put there hands in their pockets this summer. It was great to see them re-invest the money from Torres, but now we need to see them spend some also.

If Reina has a release clause should we not qualify to the CL with a fixed fee inserted into his contract, and the mancs match it, can we stop him going?

No, we can't. Which basically means it's up to Reina, and after the Torres fiasco and him defending Torres for looking to "progress with his career", I don't trust Reina.

If Reina has a release clause should we not qualify to the CL with a fixed fee inserted into his contract, and the mancs match it, can we stop him going?

No, we can't. Which basically means it's up to Reina, and after the Torres fiasco and him defending Torres for looking to "progress with his career", I don't trust Reina.

I’ve negged you for talking pure tabloid sensationalist rubbish by taking a couple of words and making it sound like Reina totally agrees with what Torres did. To use that to state you don’t trust one of our players is bad-bell stuff.

I’ve negged you for talking pure tabloid sensationalist rubbish by taking a couple of words and making it sound like Reina totally agrees with what Torres did. To use that to state you don’t trust one of our players is bad-bell stuff.

I can't do anything. I can't say anything logically as I have a contract with Liverpool

Yes you can, you can say "If I ever leave Liverpool, I will not go to the mancs".

I hope he doesn't leave in the summer, but if Reina did move on who could replace him?

If (and a big IF it is) Reina was to leave in the summer I'd go for Manuel Neuer from Schalke. In fact all the keepers United are being linked with will do a good job, so I think we'd be looking at the same candidates?

But Neuer would be perfect ofr us or them. He's only 24 and would be very good in the PL.

I'd say he could be on his way out of Schalke. They're currently number 11 in the league, so slim chances of Europe next season.

If United were to buy a keeper in the summer I ofc hope it isn't Pepe, but I'd be very unhappy if they're to get Neuer cause he'll be a big hit.

As much as we love Pepe if he doesn't want to be here anymore we'll replace him just like Torres and there are candidates out there.

I've thought for a while that he's been sounding like the spit of Torres from a year back. Lots of "I have a contract" talk. Doesn't sound like he'll be around much longer to me.

I had thought Man U would be getting De Gea though, and if the worst happens with Pepe, I think we should be trying to get him instead.

Yes you can, you can say "If I ever leave Liverpool, I will not go to the mancs".

You’ve taken one possible line out of a translated interview with no idea of the context, questions, how it was meant, or anything of the sort, and have decided that you don’t trust him. So far, Pepe has been fantastic to us as fans and as a representative of our club. That may change in the future, but as of now, your comments remain neg-worthy.

You’ve taken one possible line out of a translated interview with no idea of the context, questions, how it was meant, or anything of the sort, and have decided that you don’t trust him. So far, Pepe has been fantastic to us as fans and as a representative of our club. That may change in the future, but as of now, your comments remain neg-worthy.

That's fair enough.

But I don't trust anyone in football anymore other than Kenny.