You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sergio Busquets is shit

LFC 6 Times

Alonso is not good enough defensively. The other two are not defensive midfielders at all. It's about balance. Xabi has always played with a ball winner next to him.

Busquets isn't any more of a "ball winner" than Xabi is. but Spain don't really need one, that's my point, they are all ball winners in a sense because they press so well collectively. Ineista wins the ball, Villa wins the ball, Xavi....they all do their share of ball winning.

And if it's about balance why do Spain play so many central midfield players? In most cases that would be considered unbalanced.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

He's an understated player. Similar treatment of him to what Lucas gets at times. Nobody ever notices the good things, only the shit things.

No lucas is shit. Just plain cak.

Jesus Navas and end product shouldn't be put in the same post. He's like a Spanish Walcott.

I think hes pretty darn good myself.

Biscuits is quality at what he does. Hate the bastard, but hes good.

Last night though made me hate Benitez even more, seeing xabi rule the world.

Love you so much Xabi

Busquets isn't any more of a "ball winner" than Xabi is. but Spain don't really need one, that's my point, they are all ball winners in a sense because they press so well collectively. Ineista wins the ball, Villa wins the ball, Xavi....they all do their share of ball winning.

And if it's about balance why do Spain play so many central midfield players? In most cases that would be considered unbalanced.

Busquets does not get as far forward as Xabi. He is also more mobile than Xabi. Xabi is not a true DM. He is more of a Molby, Guardiola type. The fact is, is that in that team Xabi is more of a luxury. His main talent is playing quick balls into space. Because teams generally play defensively against Spain this can often make him redundant. Notice that Del Bosque takes Xabi off before Busquets. Busquets is a must have, Xabi is nice to have.

While all can play centrally, they are not central players. They play a very fluid 4231 with two holding midfielders, Xavi in front of them and Pedro and Iniesta playing the inside right and left channels. The fullbacks create width. Because they pass and move and hold onto the ball so well the players change position frequently.

It's the Barca system which is loosely based on the old Ajax total football system. The big difference is that Busquets always holds his position. This protects Spain from counter attacks and is a player usually available when their passing move hits a dead end.

I think any team with that mad bastard Ramos needs a player like Busquets to fill the gaps. Pique and Capdevila have been known to go wandering forward too, so although he doesn't stand out he certainly is important to the way they play.

Barcelona

Spanish League: (2) 2008–09, 2009–10

Spanish Cup: (1) 2008–09

Spanish Supercup: (1) 2009

UEFA Champions League: (1) 2008–09

UEFA Super Cup: (1) 2009

FIFA Club World Cup: (1) 2009

Spain

FIFA World Cup: (1) 2010

FIFA Confederations Cup: Third-place 2009

Individual

La Liga's Breakthrough Player: 2009

Right that's it, get out of my head.

100% truth, was just about to post this link : Sergio Busquets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mind invader.

He is not shit.

edit : wait, what? Where did your post go? Hammie what are these mind games...

Busquets is a bloody good player. As somebody who watched much Spanish football last season I feel I can say that based on more than a World Cup. He played well in the World Cup anyhow. Not a fan of his quickness to go down but if he is getting fouled why shouldnt he go down?

A game I would point any doubters towards is the Arsenal game at The Emirates last season. Busquets showed what he was made of and outshone all of Arsenals midfielders whilst in possession and really surprised me. The lad is class.