You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Roy Hodgson Thread

BexBissel

Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?  

346 members have voted

1. 1. Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?

This is depressing, you fucks who spent the season asking or rafa to go hang your head in shame, you contributed to this as you gave the owners an excuse to sack him.

No, they didn't. A better and more respectable man you will not find and he is, without a doubt, one of the best managers in world football. That being said, he is the one that got himself sacked.

Bar the idiots that boo at the match and the select few (a minority, no doubt) that voiced concerns and shouted "sack Rafa" across the internet, the majority always gave him their unconditional support and wanted him to stay beyond this season. He did his part brilliantly - he made clear to all of us the travesties that Hicks & Gillette were committing behind the scenes and pulled the curtain away for all to see the blatant lies we were being fed every time they spoke. Unfortunately for him, this made his position as manager tenuous as it was. There is no doubt that they only needed the slightest excuse to sack him and finishing 7th was, indeed, that.

Now that we all know what that pair of cunts are doing to our club we can attempt to deal with it accordingly, we don't need our manager doing it for us. While having Rafa would've been good, we have to face reality that he's gone. Moved on to a better place, in fact. What we need now isn't a manager interested in the politics; what we need is a manager who will manage the team and get the best out of what he is given. Hodgson is up there with anyone in terms of getting the best out of a limited team or a team with limited resources. That part he will do well, I have no doubt.

So, anyway, do us a favour and spare us the holior-than-thou patronising nonsense.

i'm slightly depressed right now, but by tomorrow morning my attitude will have changed. hes now the manager of our club, we have to support him and the players. getting on roy is like the stick lucas took last year, its not going to be helpful.

we need to get behind the players and the manager and support them as best we can. we still need to protest and call attention to the leeches, but otherwise roy deserves a fair shot to show what he can do.

hell if he brings in a proper left back and a reserve right back i think we'll be in pretty good shape if only because he'll play those who are in form, and everyone will be trying to make an impression. i think after 5-6 years of players being picked because they were picked, if roy picks you because you are training well etc it'll lift the morale of the whole squad. i even expect riera and babel to have a decent season!

Roy is a good manager, I am sure he will do well, now let's go out and get Zamora :whistle:

Define 'well'. How low are our aspirations? Would fifth place be deemed suffice? Realistically we have to accept that we are no longer looking to challenge Chelsea et al. Instead we are battling, once again, with Tottenham, Manchester City, and-dare I say it-Everton for fourth spot. Our season will hinge on how we perform away from home. Games at Anfield usually=Villa, Lyon, Chelsea, etcetera aside, take care of themselves. :wallbutt:

No, they didn't. A better and more respectable man you will not find and he is, without a doubt, one of the best managers in world football. That being said, he is the one that got himself sacked.

Bar the idiots that boo at the match and the select few (a minority, no doubt) that voiced concerns and shouted "sack Rafa" across the internet, the majority always gave him their unconditional support and wanted him to stay beyond this season. He did his part brilliantly - he made clear to all of us the travesties that Hicks & Gillette were committing behind the scenes and pulled the curtain away for all to see the blatant lies we were being fed every time they spoke. Unfortunately for him, this made his position as manager tenuous as it was. There is no doubt that they only needed the slightest excuse to sack him and finishing 7th was, indeed, that.

Now that we all know what that pair of cunts are doing to our club we can attempt to deal with it accordingly, we don't need our manager doing it for us. While having Rafa would've been good, we have to face reality that he's gone. Moved on to a better place, in fact. What we need now isn't a manager interested in the politics; what we need is a manager who will manage the team and get the best out of what he is given. Hodgson is up there with anyone in terms of getting the best out of a limited team or a team with limited resources. That part he will do well, I have no doubt.

So, anyway, do us a favour and spare us the holior-than-thou patronising nonsense.

Well said poof.

Good Luck Roy, It's not your fault we're in the position you find us. YNWA

Exactly this.

If things go wrong - which they might - I hope we all hold the true villains accountable (that particular cast varies depending which side of the division you're on).

This is a divisive appointment, and for good reason; Kenny would have unified the fans and he didn't get the job. So we will remain divided.

Still, as fragmented as the fanbase will continue to be: we all go down together.

I am not a lifelong Reds supporter, nor am i a lifelong footballer, but i fell in love with the WHOLE that was LFC in 1998 and supported them ever since. And i religiously go to this site to get my news everyday here in the states. I am embarrassed by the standard rallying call of YNWA that is thrown around so frivolously like two teenagers saying 'i love you', because if Roy Hodgson needs anything right now, it is EXTREME support from the supporters. Roy, GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!!!!!!

On the assumption that all of this is true (and i'll be asleep during today as i'm on Nights at the moment so he might well be our new manager when I wake up later) then all I can say is that Hodgson will get the chance that all LFC managers have had in the recent past, he'll be given the opportunity to show what he's worth for a time and if he's able to get the players to respond and then give us football which is watchable then that period of time will extend accordingly.

If he hasn't won us the league in two years though, he'll get the same treatment as Benitez got.

I really hope that he triumphs. both for his and the Clubs sake, but I also fervently hope that, even if we do play well and have success under him, our supporters won't take their eyes off the real problem within the club. Hicks and Gillet.

Le Poof = Purslow

more spin than Warnie.

This is depressing, you fucks who spent the season asking or rafa to go hang your head in shame, you contributed to this as you gave the owners an excuse to sack him, great idea giving these idiots to find us a new manager wasnt it?

We have gone for a guy who has been in management for something like 20 years or more and rafa has won stuff in a couple of years that eclipses this guys whole career.

His best achievement in years is getting fulham to a euro final and in rafas worst he got us to the semis.

His record in the transfer market makes rafa look like wenger, even at fulham where he has been hailed as a great success he has bought quite a few players who have hardly played or just been sent on loan.

Its great we got rid of rafa forget all these champs league semis most years its back to the good old days of shit football, shit players and hoping for 4th at best and a carling cup.

....because hodgson has been a disaster hasn't he? How can he justify those terrible performances against Arsenal and City in two months time....

When they sacked Houllier were you calling for Rafa's head too?

Define 'well'. How low are our aspirations? Would fifth place be deemed suffice? Realistically we have to accept that we are no longer looking to challenge Chelsea et al. Instead we are battling, once again, with Tottenham, Manchester City, and-dare I say it-Everton for fourth spot. Our season will hinge on how we perform away from home. Games at Anfield usually=Villa, Lyon, Chelsea, etcetera aside, take care of themselves. :wallbutt:

Why? If he keeps the players he is expected to finish 4th. He could get away with finishing 5th if he wins a trophy. Why should we drop our expectation?

On the assumption that all of this is true (and i'll be asleep during today as i'm on Nights at the moment so he might well be our new manager when I wake up later) then all I can say is that Hodgson will get the chance that all LFC managers have had in the recent past, he'll be given the opportunity to show what he's worth for a time and if he's able to get the players to respond and then give us football which is watchable then that period of time will extend accordingly.

If he hasn't won us the league in two years though, he'll get the same treatment as Benitez got.

I really hope that he triumphs. both for his and the Clubs sake, but I also fervently hope that, even if we do play well and have success under him, our supporters won't take their eyes off the real problem within the club. Hicks and Gillet.

Sense at last. He's being shot down before he's even had a chance! If he fails fair enough but give the guy a chance. No one knows how the players are going to react or how this season will pan out. Welcome Roy, we are Liverpool football club and we will be behind you 100%.

Because then they'd be in sync with the realities.

And what are they exactly? Hodgson is working under the same conditions Benitez did and currently has the exact same squad. We expected Rafa to get top four and he failed. Why should we not expect Hodgson to do the same?

Guest ShoePiss
Seriously?

Well it's been fair game to rip Benitez to shreds when the largest problem has always been the owners. There shouldn't be any problem on here with ripping good old Roy to shreds when he gets next to nothing to spend and has to deal with a wheelbarrow of cunts on a daily basis.

That said, it's an underwhelming appointment but I can't see any way to deal with it other than give the man our full support.

You really need them pointing out to you?

We are a club in decline because of massive debts that can no longer be sustained.

Which has been happening for years. Are you saying that if Hodgson keeps the same squad we should not expect anything? People on this board are assuming a mass exodus just because a manager has been appointed. Why don't we wait and see what happens? Some of you wouldn't have been happy no matter who was appointed because you can't move on from one man.

What I object to is the vilification of Hodgson before he has even started the job. Best supporters in the world my arse.

This thread is fucking pathetic. At a time when the club is being royally fucked in the arse, Purslow trying to censor everyone and feeding his lapdogs info, our support is being split by people who can't even get over the manager situation. It's pathetic. Both sides of this 'argument' (and I use that term lightly) should hang their heads in shame. The club is fucked but people care more about point scoring on an Internet forum making shit threads such as this and sly digs at others. Wake the fuck up for crying out loud. There is more important issues than your ego's.

If Roy does come in, whoopdedo we have a 'yes man' at the club. People will automatically turn on him and he will face a backlash from some 'fans who will label him disgraceful things without realising how and why we are in the situation we are currently in.

Rafa's gone, Roy looks like he's coming in, (even though I want Kenny) why don't, instead of purposly slagging each other off, we all turn our full attention to the owners now the manager situation looks set to be resolved. That Rawk kit is gathering pace and SoS have their march on 4th July.

Rise above the shite!

Do you not think that people are having a go at the owners by showing their disagreement with the appointment of Hodgson Lew?

I could be wrong but people seem to be accusing the likes of myself and Rob who have been very vocal of late, about not letting go of Rafa, but they couldn't be further from the truth.

We are angry against the appointment of Hodgson because of the owners ineptitude, the lies, the power that Purslow has and a million and one other things, and the letting go of Rafa and the replacing of him with Hodgson is all part and parcel of that.

People like John and Mick believe it was right for Rafa to go. People like me and Rob believe it was wrong, it's a defining moment in our history and shows how football did not play, and it will play no part in any decisions that are made in the future.

I've never felt so underwhelmed by an appointment as I do this, it's not Roy the man I have the issue with, or even Roy the manager, it's the decision that Roy is deemed better than Rafa, because when it comes down to it, he just isn't. He isn't the best available.

John's post about the seasons under Rafa was good, but I disagree that we had two bad seasons, the first season I would put down to rebuilding and getting the squad to adapt to his style and write it off.

The slanging matches that are going on, are childish and petty, and I've been a part of that and I apologise, but I'm against all these calls from unity when I battled with those who screamed loud and long everyday for a our previous manager to be sacked when I was one of the many that wanted unity back then. You just can't flick a switch and stop those emotions to start cosying up to something you don't agree with. It just doesn't work like that.

What I want to know is, what is the difference between those who wouldn't unite to wanting unity now and why? Nobody has given a specific answer/reason.