You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafael Benítez on the brink of leaving Liverpool over Anfield rift

He's 62 and has never won a major trophy. I dont agree his team play good football either, its ok/decent at Craven Cottage and thats about it.

The failure at Blackburn and Fulham's horrific away record under him would also be a massive concern. I know Fulham arent expected to win away much but still, his away record is shocking.

I dont mind a change but I dont want him anywhere near here, whether he's a nice man or not.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is wrong with Hodgson?

He knows the league, his teams play good football, he has experience in Europe and in different leagues and he seems like a fine wine - getting better with age.

He is getting the best out of his players and did last season in a side that doesn't have huge resources.

I would definitely take him over Rafa next season.

He's the same level of Allardyce, O'Neil, Moyes and previously Curbishley, Pardew etc etc.

Is that how far we have sunk?

Guest LFD
He's the same level of Allardyce, O'Neil, Moyes and previously Curbishley, Pardew etc etc.

Is that how far we have sunk?

Well that is just a list of managers for low clubs.

Some of those names perform well under the financial conditions and players they have at the clubs. Moyes, O'Neill and Hodgson are three managers who get the best out of the players they have - if Rafa had done that this season we would have challenged for the league.

I don't know how far we have sunk. Hodgson is a good manager and I would prefer him to Rafa at our club.

Would he be my first choice? No. Would I be unhappy if he came? No.

Well that is just a list of managers for low clubs.

Some of those names perform well under the financial conditions and players they have at the clubs. Moyes, O'Neill and Hodgson are three managers who get the best out of the players they have - if Rafa had done that this season we would have challenged for the league.

I don't know how far we have sunk. Hodgson is a good manager and I would prefer him to Rafa at our club.

Would he be my first choice? No. Would I be unhappy if he came? No.

ONeil, on a budget ? Villa have spent a net 99m in 3.5 years, 20m more than Rafa in twice as long.

What is wrong with Hodgson?

He knows the league, his teams play good football, he has experience in Europe and in different leagues and he seems like a fine wine - getting better with age.

He is getting the best out of his players and did last season in a side that doesn't have huge resources.

I would definitely take him over Rafa next season.

Houllier & Rafa in disguise

Never one fuck all, can take a team so far and thats that

Should look what he did at Blackburn for your answers

I like Hodgson and think he's a good manager. But do I think that Torres, Reina and Mascherano (or most potential top quality recruits) would be impressed by a package of Hodgson, no CL football and no prospective investment in the club? Do I need to answer that one?

And the same goes for O'Neill, Maclaren and most other names we've been linked with.

That type of appointment doesn't make much sense unless we're switching strategy to battening down the hatches, spending fuck all and settling for top-eight while we get new owners and the new stadium.

I like Hodgson and think he's a good manager. But do I think that Torres, Reina and Mascherano (or most potential top quality recruits) would be impressed by a package of Hodgson, no CL football and no prospective investment in the club? Do I need to answer that one?

And the same goes for O'Neill, Maclaren and most other names we've been linked with.

Unless of course we're switching strategy to battening down the hatches, spending fuck all and settling for top-eight while we get new owners and the new stadium.

Is option B but the reality is there will be no new stadium under option B will just become a selling club reduce the debt to zero then sell for 300m

I hear what you are saying, but I don't think you should lump all three together: that's true of Masch, I think, but not Pepe. As for Torres, he (and Gerrard come to think of it) are clearly unimpressed with a package of rafa, no CL football and no investment!

I hear what you are saying, but I don't think you should lump all three together: that's true of Masch, I think, but not Pepe. As for Torres, he (and Gerrard come to think of it) are clearly unimpressed with a package of rafa, no CL football and no investment!

Who knows? I just think that ultimately players make decisions based on money and prospects of success. They might "love us" but that won't be a major factor for many of them.

The Torres doesn't like Rafa stuff seems to be based on Maddocks deliberately misinterpreting an article by Ballague which after repetition is morphing into fact. See my last paragraph for what will probably motivate Torres to stay or go.

But if anyone (player or manager) wants to go, let them.

Remember Pako Ayesteran? Not just a post on this thread reminding everyone of what i think will be seen as the seminal moment in rafa's reign - the breakdown of his 11 year working relationship with pako, the only man who had the courage to say 'no' to him.

But thinking about Pako reminded me of Rafa's explanation as to why he put him on gardening leave - because he was holding meetings with another club about taking a position there.

And yet Rafa has (presumably) authorised his agent to hold meetings and negotiate with Juventus for three months now, and has personally met with Roberto Bettega to discuss the job a fortnight ago (and the night before a Liverpool league game).

Shouldn't he place himself on gardening leave?

You can't critcise Rafa in any shape or form on RAWK. The one time I wrote anything overtly negative about Rafa, saying his tactics away to Wigan were 'fucking clueless' (which they were), I got a lifetime ban!

Both rawk and here both go to stupid levels of extremes. Here if you defend rafa you're a rafa apologist or some other type of bullshit. On rawk if you slate rafa you have no knowledge of football.

Remember Pako Ayesteran? Not just a post on this thread reminding everyone of what i think will be seen as the seminal moment in rafa's reign - the breakdown of his 11 year working relationship with pako, the only man who had the courage to say 'no' to him.

But thinking about Pako reminded me of Rafa's explanation as to why he put him on gardening leave - because he was holding meetings with another club about taking a position there.

And yet Rafa has (presumably) authorised his agent to hold meetings and negotiate with Juventus for three months now, and has personally met with Roberto Bettega to discuss the job a fortnight ago (and the night before a Liverpool league game).

Shouldn't he place himself on gardening leave?

Have a repy thingy

Bang on the money

Personally that was the beginning of the end for Rafa.

Ok some will point to the 86 points but if Pako was here we wouldnt have had this type of season IMO

Not me. I voted for the reacharound.

This reminds me of an ace quote from Full Metal Jacket:

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: I bet you're the kind of guy that would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the goddamn common courtesy to give him a reach-around. I'll be watching you.

Hodgson has one good season in a long career of mediocrity and half the forum wants to suck him off.

And that good season could get his team in 10-13th place, possibly behind the likes of Blackburn, Sunderland, Birmingham and Stoke.

One - 1 - away win in the opening day against Portsmouth.

If Hodgson gets the job I will be devastated.