You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Barclays Capital Appointed to Find a Purchaser for the Club

redheart

Anyone think it is a coincidence that Rafa asks for 60m to be spent on the team when we get news that weve refinanced an additional 60m of debt?

I think its more likely the owners have taking their money back (60m used to reduce the loan). its not in the nature of these types of money men (leveraged buyout) to use a CENT of their own money.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could it be that Bar Cap are acting on behalf of somebody actively looking to buy the club? By acting this way, they would put any interested party in the driving seat. Let us not forget that the Middle East provided plenty of support for Barclays throughout the credit crunch, which meant they did not have to go to the Govt for a bail out and although putting two and two together and coming up with five, I seem to remember Amanda Staveley being quite heavily involved.

Can they afford to.

If we don't qualify for this season Champions League then its not so much next season we will feel the pinch but the season after.

Its not like financially we can afford to go on a spending spree to sign players to overtake City or any of the other top four.

This BarCap deal as been done for Broughton to act as the broker and in all the press reports they talk about selling the club not their long term relationship with Hicks and Gillett.

So you see this as a step forward Coops?

Mate, why do you think it will be on aggressive terms ? Barclays, RBS, Lloyd's whoever all make money lending it. Since H n G bought us, we've seen a 50m rise in tv mmoney and the sc deal. We've a new addidas deal in the offing, which could see an extra 10m per season, plus a longer, more stable deal could be cheaper each season so even without european football we can afford it. If barclays also believe were worth 500m, then the loan to value is only 60%, like having a 150k mortgage on a 250k house.

Barclays like RBS exist to make money, they will from us. Dont believe all the spin about it being good for us etc etc

Wonnder where this leaves Purslow ? Not everyones cup oof tea, but he was a genuine fan. Broughton is a bloody chav.

That's the key question. For me the Purslow thing was only marginally about the 100m investment (which after all was to fix RBS' overgearing problem) and altogether more about bringing someone on board who had the clout to provide the guarantees to get the construction loan for the stadium.

Where are we on that now?

So you see this as a step forward Coops?

We don't know the ins and outs of the deal mate so its impossible for me to judge whether this is good or bad.

The main worry is we have gone from RBS asking for the debt to be reduced to £137m to suddenly going to £300m in debt.

Without Champions League (i know other revenues have increased) then i don't see how we can afford the payments.

For me the big difference that has happened is that both owners want out.

In the past we have heard about how Gillett wants to leave but Hicks wants to remain in some capacity but it seems finally that both now have had enough and want to leave.

The press release regards £600m came direct from Hicks and Gillett PR team.

BarCap will obviously make money from the club regards interest payments but also on the sale of the club which is why i imagine they have a different figure in mind of what they can achieve.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Purslow remain at the club as he was there as a MD whereas Broughton is getting appointed as the Chairman.

The difference it seems between Purslow's plight over the last 12 months and Broughton is the latter as been asked to look for a buyer for the club whereas Purslow was asked to look for the £100m to satisfy RBS.

The one hope i have is that Broughton (who appears to be well respected in the business world) has better contacts and is confident of a sale.

Also i very much doubt BarCap will enter into the agreement with their eyes shut and maybe able to open more doors due to their Middle Eastern connections that were previously closed.

BBC NEWS | Business | Barclays secures Middle East cash

Barclays has announced a proposal to raise up to £7.3bn to strengthen its balance sheet.

The money will be mainly raised from the state investment funds and royal families of Qatar and Abu Dhabi.

Unlike other big UK banks, Barclays did not want to accept a bail-out from the UK government and said the move would keep it "strong and independent".

If the deal is completed as expected, the Middle Eastern investors will have an almost 32% stake in Barclays.

Qatar Holdings - 12.7%

Challenger (Qatar) - 2.8%

Sheikh Mansour Bin Zayed Al Nahyan (Abu Dhabi) - 16.3%

We don't know the ins and outs of the deal mate so its impossible for me to judge whether this is good or bad.

The main worry is we have gone from RBS asking for the debt to be reduced to £137m to suddenly going to £300m in debt.

Without Champions League (i know other revenues have increased) then i don't see how we can afford the payments.

For me the big difference that has happened is that both owners want out.

In the past we have heard about how Gillett wants to leave but Hicks wants to remain in some capacity but it seems finally that both now have had enough and want to leave.

The press release regards £600m came direct from Hicks and Gillett PR team.

BarCap will obviously make money from the club regards interest payments but also on the sale of the club which is why i imagine they have a different figure in mind of what they can achieve.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Purslow remain at the club as he was there as a MD whereas Broughton is getting appointed as the Chairman.

The difference it seems between Purslow's plight over the last 12 months and Broughton is the latter as been asked to look for a buyer for the club whereas Purslow was asked to look for the £100m to satisfy RBS.

The one hope i have is that Broughton (who appears to be well respected in the business world) has better contacts and is confident of a sale.

Also i very much doubt BarCap will enter into the agreement with their eyes shut and maybe able to open more doors due to their Middle Eastern connections that were previously closed.

I think that is really good point about Barclays and Broughton knowing what they are doing. Maybe I am being too optimistic but could this development rapidly take off in terms of a possible sale of the club and Broughton is here just for the short term?

BBC NEWS | Business | Barclays secures Middle East cash

Barclays has announced a proposal to raise up to £7.3bn to strengthen its balance sheet.

The money will be mainly raised from the state investment funds and royal families of Qatar and Abu Dhabi.

Unlike other big UK banks, Barclays did not want to accept a bail-out from the UK government and said the move would keep it "strong and independent".

If the deal is completed as expected, the Middle Eastern investors will have an almost 32% stake in Barclays.

Qatar Holdings - 12.7%

Challenger (Qatar) - 2.8%

Sheikh Mansour Bin Zayed Al Nahyan (Abu Dhabi) - 16.3%

Now that is interesting any chance of Barclays approaching middle eastern investors for liverpool :yes: