You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Acest Bassist

Steve Holt

You know what, John Deacon from Queen was a great bassist. He never got any real credit because Mercury and May took most of the plaudits, but he was ace.

rY0WxgSXdEE

Yeah, good call that. Another one bites the dust and Under pressure are 2 of the most instantly recognised basslines in popular music I'd say.

[YOUTUBE] [/YOUTUBE]

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, there is no bass-guitar in this song. wtf? She's playing an acoustic. Others would neg, but I don't do negativity.

Omg. I know there isn't, Dude. Do you know who Carol Kaye is?

Those who would neg would be uber negged in return. I'm glad you didn't.

Omg. I know there isn't, Dude. Do you know who Carol Kaye is?

Those who would neg would be uber negged in return. I'm glad you didn't.

Is she a bassist? I listened to it waiting to hear bass on a thread about ace bassists.

Edit: I hate that negging bulshit. I'm a massive tool apparently.

It's still this guy

cliff_burton.jpg

[YOUTUBE]7KpxOmksHrY[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]7_wGFfrJv4Y[/YOUTUBE]

This arrived for me in the post today - not watched it since the days of VHS, looking forward to the viewing!

metallica2.jpg

Ian Dury and the Blockheads classic, Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick. Norman Watt Roy played it but there are no good vids of him. I've elected to post a playalong channel so you can see more clearly how funky the bassline is.

This guy is a Dane who does great lessons and playalongs - is worth subbing.

If after watching this, one still thinks that the bass is a boring instrument, I'm tellin on ya.

[YOUTUBE] [/YOUTUBE]

Les Claypool, end of thread.

Shouldn't even have taken six posts for that. I mean there are some great bassists mentioned in this thread, Bootsy Collins and Flea in particular but Les Claypool is ridiculously talented.

[YOUTUBE]r4OhIU-PmB8[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]kDf7Wk0uFBg[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]p5cOqCjInYI[/YOUTUBE]

Bit of upright for variety (cracking video also, that pig mask creeps me out)

[YOUTUBE]TOdo7dhvSwg[/YOUTUBE]

and finally, an absolutely brilliant cover

[YOUTUBE]uTgAiQvdWOE[/YOUTUBE]

Shouldn't even have taken six posts for that. I mean there are some great bassists mentioned in this thread, Bootsy Collins and Flea in particular but Les Claypool is ridiculously talented.

and finally, an absolutely brilliant cover

[

Edit. I should try reading the whole thread before posting. Just noticed the post above me.

Guys, thank God you turned up.

You seemed to have missed out this wonder cracker though.

[YOUTUBE]uZnz_FIe7kU[/YOUTUBE]

Whilst I'm a Foxton/Entwhistle fan, I feel an underrated, and on this thread, overlooked bassist is clearly Norman Cook.

Four number ones in four different guises ( Housemartins, Beats International, Freak Power and Fatboy ) is surely worth a mention. Never really my thing but credit where it's due eh?

Clearly not the most technical of bassists, but for sheer chutzpah:

[YOUTUBE]0tDgzBd2hD4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]_lc8E4VeBnI[/YOUTUBE]

(even with the crap sound and dodgy camerawork, this is the absolute shit - Lemmy, Slash and Dave Grohl)