You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Self-service checkouts.

Guest The Big Green Bastard

I've been using them for years, but I do get the odd twinge of guilt that I maybe doing someone out of a job.

As others have said the trick to a good experience is not to get a broken or a card/cash only till, or get stuck behind a witless cunt who can't tell the difference between a carrot and a courgette.

What possesses some old people to try these things?, especially the type of person who can't work a 28 day timer on a VHS recorder. Why they think they will have more luck with these things is beyond me.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with Dan and RJ here, you spy who's using them and you weigh up if they're going to have difficulty with it or if they'll be like rats up a drainpipe. If it's the latter then you nip there and get the job done nice and quick. If not, work out whether going to a manned till will be easier.

I have to admit I love the convenience of it, Tesco and Sainsbury's have the best ones, Morrison's is a fucking pain in the arse though. When I do use the machines, I go the one on the far end or in the middle because, where I live there are a lot middle class people who love all this newfangled technology and like to see what peasants like myself are buying and I know they are secretly judging me.

I honestly dont mind them, make it so much quicker to just nip in and out of a shop in minutes.

Plus they solve the age old problem of buying stuff like condoms.

You would think!

However try this next time you fill your basket,

2 Bottles of Wine

1 Box of Ibuprofen

Condoms

Baby Oil (The Wife likes a few drops in her bath )

Now bear in mind Alcohol and Tablets require the intervention of an assistant, not to mention a fuck off big red flashing light to bring EVERYONES attention to you.

Why not have a huge sign above my head saying "HE IS GOING TO GET SOMEONE PISSED, COVER THEM IN BABY OIL AND ROGER THEM SENSELESS TONIGHT"

Oh and why do they think if would be a really good idea to use the self serve till when you have a full trolley and 2 bored, but highly destructive children in tow?

As an independent shopkeeper I would prefer it if you fucked these places off altogether and spent some cash with your local bloke who may not be as cheap but will look after you and not piss you off. There is an alternative people. Use it or lose it.

That's very true. Why use a supermarket when you can pay over twice the price for a fraction of the choice of produce?

It hurts me to say it (I'm always Queen of the Underdog) but no person, unless they were absolutely minted, could afford not to shop at a supermarket these days. That's aside from not having time to go to trudging round 10 different shops when you can get everything you need under one roof. It's a sad sign of the times.

That's very true. Why use a supermarket when you can pay over twice the price for a fraction of the choice of produce?

It hurts me to say it (I'm always Queen of the Underdog) but no person, unless they were absolutely minted, could afford not to shop at a supermarket these days. That's aside from not having time to go to trudging round 10 different shops when you can get everything you need under one roof. It's a sad sign of the times.

Most of my stuff SKI is cheaper than Tescos. But that is besides the point.

Noone is interested in getting fine local produce, they have to get home for the X factor. They like to leisure shop, maybe on a Sunday or Saturday morning.

It's into Tescos heres a 100 notes and off you go.

Even before I ran shops I shopped every day. What do we need for tea? I would go and get it.

I personally would never buy meat from a supermarket. We are in danger of losing butchers and the like, it is sad.

Noone is interested in getting fine local produce, they have to get home for the X factor. They like to leisure shop, maybe on a Sunday or Saturday morning.

Even before I ran shops I shopped every day. What do we need for tea? I would go and get it.

I personally would never buy meat from a supermarket. We are in danger of losing butchers and the like, it is sad.

I get all my cleaning and household shit from the supermarket but get all my meat from the butchers and veg from the local farm shop. The meat is far better quality and you definately get more for your money.

As an independent shopkeeper I would prefer it if you fucked these places off altogether and spent some cash with your local bloke who may not be as cheap but will look after you and not piss you off. There is an alternative people. Use it or lose it.

I agree with this but i've plenty of time cos i've no job.

I'd rather go to a butchers for my meat and a veg shop or stall for my veg.

Anny, I can assure you that my local butchers are at least double the price of Asda. I'm not disputing it might be better quality, but I can't afford to spend a tenner just on the meat component of a meal every night of the week. Even their sausages and mince are over a fiver a pound.

I do buy meat from my local farm now and again, and stock up. But again, I find they're greedy bastards. You can get the meat from the farm for buttons, but every month there's a local farmers market, where they triple the price of the meat, again making it far more expensive than the supermarkets. My son has loads of allergies, and can't eat processed food, so I have to make the majority of meals from scratch. These people who say it's cheaper to eat fresh than processed are talking through their arses.

Nobody can compete against the supermarkets now. They're sending big chains tits up, so what chance does a little shopkeeper have? I hope it's different for you living in a more rural area where people depend on local shops, but in towns and cities they're obsolete now.

It's desperately sad, but the truth is that we are consumers, not charities. We'll get the best deal we can because the vast majority of us are financially in no position to have any other option.

You would think!

However try this next time you fill your basket,

2 Bottles of Wine

1 Box of Ibuprofen

Condoms

Baby Oil (The Wife likes a few drops in her bath )

Now bear in mind Alcohol and Tablets require the intervention of an assistant, not to mention a fuck off big red flashing light to bring EVERYONES attention to you.

Why not have a huge sign above my head saying "HE IS GOING TO GET SOMEONE PISSED, COVER THEM IN BABY OIL AND ROGER THEM SENSELESS TONIGHT"

Oh and why do they think if would be a really good idea to use the self serve till when you have a full trolley and 2 bored, but highly destructive children in tow?

Never ever, ever, ever, ever take your kids to a supermarket, under any circumstances, there must be a preferable alternative. Children in Supermarkets are the epitome of evil, matched only by the screaming freak parents, trying desperately to try and get them to behave.

It's not even that I blame the children. Taking them to a supermarket is the equivalent of the quiz show host showing you what you could have won. Loads of sugary delights and things that look mega to play on and have it dangled in front of you, but not being able to act on the deepest inbuilt urges.

Think on parents.

Guest davelfc

I love the self service tills, I feel I'm not being judged on what I am buying and I can also avoid the small talk. Plus I'm not made to feel like a mass murderer for wanting more bags.

Assistant looks at piles of shopping, "Do you need some bags?"

"Well yes you fuckwit, my juggling skills are known all over the estate but with this lot I'd be stretching it a little."

"Have you thought about getting a bag for life?"

"Jesus shit no! I cannot commit to a magazine subscription, how am I supposed to commit to something for the rest of my life?" Besides I'm 45, is the bag they give 18 year olds more hard wearing than mine? Would an 85 year old just get a normal bag? What happens if my 'bag for life rips? Will I die?

No I prefer the self service, it's less hassle unless the machine fucks up, which it always does. Then my payment card won't work. "It's probably dirty," says this young blonde as she wipes it on her chest. Ah, the joy of shopping.

Never ever, ever, ever, ever take your kids to a supermarket, under any circumstances, there must be a preferable alternative. Children in Supermarkets are the epitome of evil, matched only by the screaming freak parents, trying desperately to try and get them to behave.

It's not even that I blame the children. Taking them to a supermarket is the equivalent of the quiz show host showing you what you could have won. Loads of sugary delights and things that look mega to play on and have it dangled in front of you, but not being able to act on the deepest inbuilt urges.

Think on parents.

And what do you suggest we do with them? Leave them in the car with the window wound down a bit? I can assure you, no parent takes their kids shopping if there's an alternative. However much it grates on your nerves as an onlooker, having a screaming brat in the supermarket is one hundred times more stressful for the parent.

Think on smug non-parents.

And what do you suggest we do with them? Leave them in the car with the window wound down a bit? I can assure you, no parent takes their kids shopping if there's an alternative. However much it grates on your nerves as an onlooker, having a screaming brat in the supermarket is one hundred times more stressful for the parent.

Think on smug non-parents.

There is always a preferable alternative. Like leaving your children in the traffic on the motorway. Or online shopping.

You are within a gnat's pube of getting a negging for this. Don't you have like 15 brothers and 300 ex partners who could take care of them for you? Don't they go to School? Do you not know any other mum's that you could take turns looking after each other's mini-hitlers? Are you going to take them chrimbo shopping to buy their presents in front of them? If not, why not make the same arrangement every other week of the year?

Just so you know, all other shoppers hate you and your children and are judging your every move!

When I have little springpuppets, I vow to never take the little fuckers to a Supermarket.

Do not take them under any circumstances. Ever.

There is always a preferable alternative. Like leaving your children in the traffic on the motorway. Or online shopping.

You are within a gnat's pube of getting a negging for this. Don't you have like 15 brothers and 300 ex partners who could take care of them for you? Don't they go to School? Do you not know any other mum's that you could take turns looking after each other's mini-hitlers? Are you going to take them chrimbo shopping to buy their presents in front of them? If not, why not make the same arrangement every other week of the year?

Just so you know, all other shoppers hate you and your children and are judging your every move!

Do not take them under any circumstances. Ever.

I have 2 brothers and 2 ex partners. All of them work, and no I don't know any other mums who I'd leave my kids with, who also don't work. I have one friend who I could leave them with, but she lives miles away, so it's not really expedient to do a 15 mile round trip of an evening when you've just finished work, before you can even get their dinner in the oven.

Can I point out, I very, very rarely do a big shop with the kids but I do nip into the supermarket with them to pick up a couple of bits. My kids are older now, and very well behaved. To be honest, the worst behaviour they display is nagging me for things. They walk round sensibley and are past the age of throwing tantrums. I do have compassion for parents whose toddlers are kicking and screaming. I remember those days myself.

I have 2 brothers and 2 ex partners. All of them work, and no I don't know any other mums who I'd leave my kids with, who also don't work. I have one friend who I could leave them with, but she lives miles away, so it's not really expedient to do a 15 mile round trip of an evening when you've just finished work, before you can even get their dinner in the oven.

Can I point out, I very, very rarely do a big shop with the kids but I do nip into the supermarket with them to pick up a couple of bits. My kids are older now, and very well behaved. To be honest, the worst behaviour they display is nagging me for things. They walk round sensibley and are past the age of throwing tantrums. I do have compassion for parents whose toddlers are kicking and screaming. I remember those days myself.

Even the girl? Fair play if you can make her behave, you may have turned a potential negging into a repping. Personally it's the children I feel sorry for, they don't understand why they aren't allowed all these things and have to feel trapped and still. That's really uncomfortable for them when they have so much energy. Plus the increasingly agitated parents have to stoop to extensive measures in desperation to stop the continued embarrassment.

While I may not be a parent, I do have a little sister 10 years my junior and I remember coming to the children in supermarkets decision after putting up with her manic antics a couple of times (climbing stuff and doing those big knee slides etc).

Like I say, the most obvious answer is online shopping and what I envisage when I father little Remmie's.

I always use the local butcher and although it is more expensive it's much better quality so worth it. An example being supermarket bacon generally shrinks in the pan as the water burns off. Butcher's bacon has far less water so tastes better and retains it's size. I reckon 6 rashers from the butchers is worth 10 from the supermarket.

Never used a self service till. Much prefer to get served by a mucky checkout slut. Can recomend Waitrose for this over tescos and sainsburys