You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Clutching at straws, or another way of looking at it

Antynwa

I always kicked off last season about getting draws and people saying it was a well earned point. As last season proved, the draws cost us the league. Yesterday we lost to our rivals, having said that we beat our rivals home and away last year and still won nothing.

Had we got a point yesterday that would have been deemed a good result, and IF for example we get a point v Sunderland that would mean no defeats but we would have got the two points, but if we beat Sunderland that means we have 3 points from two games. I know I'm stating the blindingly obvious here, but I'm genuinely not that worried, if anything I'm optimistic that as long as we can put yesterday's result behind us we can go onto achieve.

Yesterday proved nothing other than we have some major defensive frailties and despite what the league may say, the calender says it's only October. United have been beaten and will be beaten, as have Chelsea, Arsenal and City.

I'm still confident, are you?

No, that is the correct way to look at it IMO. Draws killed us last season. So we've played 8, won 5 lost 3 which gave us 15 points. Last season we may have played 8, won 4, lost 1 and drew 3. Same amount of points. But in the long run our more attacking approach will see us better off IMO, even if it means losing a few more. I'm not worried at all. There's fuckin miles and miles to go in this yet.

Its one thing being optimistic lads, but there's no positive spin to be put on getting beat. Especially by one of our main rivals and playing so poorly and without a meaningfull effort till we were 2 down. The only miles are the miles away from the title we are.

I could be wrong but hadn't we beaten United and Chelsea by this stage this season?

Yes we've lost 3 times, no it doesn't look good, but we can only move on and push forward starting with a good well earned 3 points up in the North East. United have proven they are prone to slipping up, as have Chelsea.

I am usually a right miserable thundercunt but I'm pretty optimistic.

Interestingly, if we lose two more games before Christmas - in a span of 11 games in which we play United, City and Arsenal at home, Everton away and a number of other teams we really should be beating - or draw three, neither of which are especially optimistic or pessimistic, we'll have the same amount of points at the half way stage as we did last season. It's clutching at straws, yes, but at the same time it maybe does show that it's still very early.

Looking at the fixtures, if we did have 42 points going into the festive period, we'd almost certainly avoid relegation. This is important.

We would also probably be only three or four points off the top, which with 19 games played isn't bad going. Even six isn't that bad half way through. It's just that, a third of the way through, six seems like a lot. Like when you're eight and the summer seems like it lasts forever.