You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Come home Kenny (Carradona I am sorry)

Juan Galonso

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far in this thread I've read:

• Kenny being compared to Keegan,Souness and Kendall.

• His whole achievements as manager here being belittled.

• Winning the league at Blackburn being down solely to money (despite they were in the second division when he took over, and I'd like to see those figures of how much he spent compared to Ferguson, who if I remember right broke the transfer record and spent 7 million on Andy Cole the same year Blackburn won the league.)

• A steddy eddie who'll plod along.

Bloody hell.

I never compared him to Kendall and Keegan i used them as an example why you should never go back. How would you feel if he came back done shite, would you still feel the same about him if he turned us into a mid table team?

Typical. All you do on here is pick peoples posts apart and never have an input of your own. And we are told ''you have common sense''. Fuck right off. I haven't forgot the 50+ deaths at Heysel comment a few weeks ago you made. No matter how much shit you think I speak I have NEVER lowered myself to anything like that.

Is that the best you've got?

What do you want from me, to engage in an actual debate about the merits of appointing a manager with the intention of 'plodding' for no other reason that sentimentality?

Unfortunately I can't because it's such a monumentally stupid suggestion that it makes my head hurt. Now if you had started yet another attention seeking thread about what you'd like to see from a Liverpool team, how you'd like to see them play, how you'd like to see the various elements of the club interact, and then discuss the merits of managers you think would fit with whatever your vision is it'd make things a lot easier.

If Rafa does get control over transfers, and providing he has a decent budget, it will be the first time next season he is competing on even ground with Fergie, the man to beat.

Funny that, as 'Fergie', the most succesful manager around, who is on course for a 3rd title in a row, prefers those 'obsolete' methods, which doesn't say much for the newer over elaborate methods of your foreign messiah like coaches.

Unless it takes more than simple, effective attacking football to beat the likes of Boro who couldn't buy a win before we made them look good.

Name the team for his last game, the 4-4 vs. the Bitters, and pay particular attention to the defence.

Also, it's ironic that Benitez get's so much stick for rotation, yet Kenny did this years before, with a horses for courses policy that he somtimes adopted, played Rush and Aldridge upfront sacrificing Beardsley, leaving Hougton out when employing a sweeper system or 3 centre backs, and we got badly twatted 3-0 away at Arsenal when we we're set up with six defenders in the team looking for a draw, if I remember rightly. We even had a phase of dominating games and not taking our chances (sounds familar) - so much so that I remember Ken Rogers reprinting a joke about it in the Footy Echo from the Mancheter Evening News (with Beardsley as the fall guy) to which he responded with one about a set of bins and their trophy room.

It definitely wasn't all rosy in the garden during the last months of Kenny's reign, as some people would have you believe. And who were the Biggest threat at the time? Boring, boring Arsenal. We're not just battling against boring, boring Arsenal now, are we?

Also don't forget, John Aldridge, one of your 'Holy Trinity' thinks Kenny did the dirty on him when he (Aldridge) got ofloaded to real Sociadad, so that would put 'ruthless' Benitez into perspective.

Yeah, ignore the whole of Kenny's time as manager, when we did the double and played the most exciting football in the history of the club....and concentrate on the last few months of his reign when, as he has admitted himself, he was under severe emotional strain. Yeha this led to some minor mis judgements but did't the team after or around the time of Kenny;s departure beat Derby 7-0 away?

It gets to me when people choose to ignore history just to try and prove a point Re: Benitez

We need pace in our attacking third, its really that simple, but off course these players with pace at least needs to be of an above twenty in a dozen standard when it comes to ability and technique.

One question to all of you.

How many players with pace has Rafa brought in during his time here, and if they have pace how many of them have had decent technique as well?

Is that the best you've got?

What do you want from me, to engage in an actual debate about the merits of appointing a manager with the intention of 'plodding' for no other reason that sentimentality?

Unfortunately I can't because it's such a monumentally stupid suggestion that it makes my head hurt. Now if you had started yet another attention seeking thread about what you'd like to see from a Liverpool team, how you'd like to see them play, how you'd like to see the various elements of the club interact, and then discuss the merits of managers you think would fit with whatever your vision is it'd make things a lot easier.

Like I say, what you say to me means fuck all after the 50+ deaths at Heysel comment was the most ridculous thing I have ever read on here. That defies you from having any such opinion on anything when you can't even get something as important as that right to suit one of your laughable ''arguments''. When have you EVER done what your post suggests on here? Mr Cornelius?

All you do from what I have seen is try and goad people. Not just me. Now take your 50+ deaths at Heysel to RAWK or somewhere.

I'm not goading you, I'm stunned that you think plodding with dalglish as manager would be acceptable.

If you had said you thought that Dalglish still had the ability to take us forward and win the league then fair enough, clearly winning isn't as much of a priority as sentimentality though.

Very good post.

Humans are good at getting stuck in patterns of thinking. Footballers, being human and not robotic, do this too. The players at Liverpool, now have a Champions League mentality, drilled into them by the manager. Why should this be? Simple: they WON the Champions League in Rafa's 1st season....and every year since, the team primes itself for euro football. Rafa's successs since arrival, in terms of the Premiership? A big fat ZILCH. The result? The players have no faith in Rafa's ability to help deliver the prem.

The same thinking applieswith the Torres purchase. Torres' first season was a dream start (to a lesser degree, so was Dirk Kuyt's). I remember a post of mine vaguely, in which I stated that I was excited, but that I dreaded the thought of him sustaining a long term injury, or worse still, thanks to the premiership's 'kick at something and hope it's the ball' mentality, Torres could be wrecked for life.

This season it's been niggly injuries for him, no rhythm, and only rare touches of the brilliance we expect; more importantly THE TEAM believe in him so much, that w/o him, they have NO winning attitude.

He's a become a Talisman like Gerrard.

In summary: my team is STUCK. Their thinking has lodged itself in a crevice and wont shift.

Only one way to shift the teams consciousness now - Rafa must go.

Bring Kenny back? My heart says yes, my head isn't so sure, and may be a little stubborn: but the fergie comment 'old school' adapting..yes..yes I can see that in my mind's eye. Perhaps Kenny has more to give even now...a club in crisis could be just the ticket: hell he's at every friggin home game..might as well sit in the right seat and have some input.

Bring back Kenny.

John, I admire your honesty mate but I don't think Kenny is the answer, nor do I think he'd want to come back. Not under the current owners anyway.

I couldn't give a fuck about still being in the CL, I'd sack him now and ask Carra and Lee to do the job until the season ends. Does anyone seriously think they'd have dropped Yossi after the form he's been in lately ?

Who's really surprised that the wheels have finally come off. Sorry people but if you didn't see this coming then you need an eye test. Even when there was a bit of daylight between us and the rest I fucking knew this day was on the horizon.

Anybody who watched the youth team last night could see why Rafa shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the fucking academy. Free flowing attacking football for ninety minutes. Well that wont last if Rafa gets his way.

It was only a matter of time before some of the absolute shite has so much faith in came back and bit him on the arse.

N'Gog just not ready and I doubt very much he ever will be.

El Zhar, Im confused as to why this player was ever brought to the club.

Babel, I think there's talent in there somewhere but he obviously doesn't want to show it to us, or is it the manager. The lad asked if he could go out on loan ffs, yet he's still fucking here and getting a game.

I said a while back that there was to many similarities between Rafa and Houllier, and I felt we had gone full circle. Yet certain people slated me for it, opinions eh.

Well there's a real possibility we mightn't hold on to 3rd place but never mind were still in the the CL.

I'd love to see Kenny back at the club, but not as a manager, or a director of football. I'd like to see him, not as a CEO but as a President. Not in a business sense, but in a brand sense. Have him in charge of the way the club is run, give him authority over decisions to ensure that things are done in The Liverpool Way and in the best interests of the football club. I'm not wording this very well, but you know what I mean.

I don't think anyone gets The Liverpool Way better than The King does.

wel said

Yeah, ignore the whole of Kenny's time as manager, when we did the double and played the most exciting football in the history of the club....and concentrate on the last few months of his reign when, as he has admitted himself, he was under severe emotional strain. Yeha this led to some minor mis judgements but did't the team after or around the time of Kenny;s departure beat Derby 7-0 away?

It gets to me when people choose to ignore history just to try and prove a point Re: Benitez

I don’t think I’m ignoring Kenny’s achievements, or belittling them; rather putting some perspective on the notion he could come in now and be a panacea for all of our ills. And I'm not trying to knock Kenny in order to build Benitez up; I can perfectly understand, and sympathise with, some of the arguments a lot of people have against Benitez. I just don't see Kenny as the answer.

I'm not goading you, I'm stunned that you think plodding with dalglish as manager would be acceptable.

If you had said you thought that Dalglish still had the ability to take us forward and win the league then fair enough, clearly winning isn't as much of a priority as sentimentality though.

I think Kenny as somebody said on a previous post will have seen enough football whilst he has been out of the game to know how the modern game still works. It hasn't changed THAT much. Yes I was us to rediscover some of our old values and having the greatest legend who ever wore the shirt and pulled us through our darkest days will be good enough for me.

I trust Kenny to do the right thing by the club more than anybody else. I unfortunately don't trust Benitez to do the same.

John' date=' I admire your honesty mate but I don't think Kenny is the answer, nor do I think he'd want to come back. Not under the current owners anyway.

I couldn't give a fuck about still being in the CL, I'd sack him now and ask Carra and Lee to do the job until the season ends. Does anyone seriously think they'd have dropped Yossi after the form he's been in lately ?

Who's really surprised that the wheels have finally come off. Sorry people but if you didn't see this coming then you need an eye test. Even when there was a bit of daylight between us and the rest I fucking knew this day was on the horizon.

Anybody who watched the youth team last night could see why Rafa shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the fucking academy. Free flowing attacking football for ninety minutes. Well that wont last if Rafa gets his way.

It was only a matter of time before some of the absolute shite has so much faith in came back and bit him on the arse.

Babel, I think there's talent in there somewhere but he obviously doesn't want to show it to us, or is it the manager. The lad asked if he could go out on loan ffs, yet he's still fucking here and getting a game.

I said a while back that there was to many similarities between Rafa and Houllier, and I felt we had gone full circle. Yet certain people slated me for it, opinions eh.

Well there's a real possibility we mightn't hold on to 3rd place but never mind were still in the the CL.[/quote']

Great constructive post that Mick. Well done mate.

I think Kenny as somebody said on a previous post will have seen enough football whilst he has been out of the game to know how the modern game still works. It hasn't changed THAT much. Yes I was us to rediscover some of our old values and having the greatest legend who ever wore the shirt and pulled us through our darkest days will be good enough for me.

I trust Kenny to do the right thing by the club more than anybody else. I unfortunately don't trust Benitez to do the same.

But how long will the good grace last with Dalglish?

It only took a few seasons for the hatred of Benitez to start building despite a CL win. If we're plodding with little sign of winning anything how long will just having a legend managing us be enough?

Would you be prepared to see him take some of the abuse previous managers have?

John' date=' I admire your honesty mate but I don't think Kenny is the answer, nor do I think he'd want to come back. Not under the current owners anyway.

I couldn't give a fuck about still being in the CL, I'd sack him now [b']and ask Carra and Lee to do the job until the season ends[/b]. Does anyone seriously think they'd have dropped Yossi after the form he's been in lately ?

Well there's a real possibility we mightn't hold on to 3rd place but never mind were still in the the CL.

I’m not querying your post other than the part I’ve high-lighted; you reference the free-flowing football of the youth team so it must be something of importance to you, so do you think Carragher is a ‘free-flowing football kind of guy’? And if you do, what makes you think that? What qualifies Carragher to be the Manager?

Edited by DonaldDonaldson
it was youth team, not reserves!

Who'd have thought when The King left it would be 18-18?

Well it is and who better to help us open up a new lead?

Kenny for manager? Jesus wept.

I don't even think Kenny would accept the job, if it was offered to him.

He'd jump at it.

We draw 0-0 with West Ham at home and suddenly the forum would be littered with "Kenny is a cunt" posts. Never ever want to hear that.

The place would be buzzing, give it to him till the end of the season and see how it goes.

It cant get much fucking worse.

It only took a few seasons for the hatred of Benitez to start building despite a CL win. If we're plodding with little sign of winning anything how long will just having a legend managing us be enough?

I can see the reasoning behind that and when I was speaking about this to Dave U the other day he said that is why he wouldnt want Kenny back. I think our love for Kenny is beyond football though.

We are always told football is a simple game. I still think Kenny knows the basics to be honest. It could go pear shaped. But it could have a happy ending. I am trying to look at the postives for bringing Kenny back but can understand why people are apprehensive about it. We may still be only a top 4 side under Kenny but that appointment would be also about long term planning for the future with hopefully Carra or Sami if they do the coaching badges and want to get in to management at some point in the future maybe taking over. What better person to learn from?

Guest ShoePiss

That would be just too much for me to allow, it would get pretty nasty in no time. If it all worked out it would be fairy tale stuff and if it didn't well regardless of how bad it was anyone calling him the names they have Benitez would be getting twatted.

Kenny is my childhood and present day hero, I honestly don't think he'd take the job anyway but I'd just be so scared it didn't work.

As suggested earlier in the thread, he should be at the club as a figurehead, president whatever title you want to give him, 'king' would be perfect.