You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
It's funny, considering we've never met, but I feel exactly the same way about you.

I'm fairly glad. I'd hardly be happy calling you clueless when you agreed with me, now would I. Come on, Zig. Get with it.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair point - we work with what we've got instead of just throwing money at the problem. I'm always hearing how promising some of our young attacking players are but I never see the reserve or youth teams. Do people on the board think any of these are ready to step up?

Sadly there's no evidence of it.

It seems you don't need much. You make it up as you go along. Just like when you had a go at people's questioning Kenny's judgement over spending £35m on Carroll, you're making the same appeals to authority now. Boring. Predictable.

Aww the space cadet is getting himself all in a kerfuffle. In your internet dreams, eh.

Wha, me telling people to reserve their vitriol for a later date and get on with enjoying the fact that we once again have a manager being backed with funds to sign the players he wants? You know, a year later and i'm still of the belief that Carroll will come good, uber fan that i am and from my pedestal i'm happy to claim that the coaching staff are certainly not in the panic that some of our support is.

Yeah, I also remember saying that there has to be a greater understanding of the fact that we're not able to buy from the top bracket at this moment in time and that expectation needs to tempered before you rudely interjected with your typically conceited and haughty tones, claiming you'd never before read such negative nonsense, you having totally missed my point, unsurprisingly. I'm guessing you then returned to your mantra of Stewart Downing not being good enough to play for this club. Maaaataaaa.

What has all this to do with Digger's views on Darren Bent not being the type of striker we need?

Only you know the answer.

I think Bent would score goals for us. He does seem like a bad tit though. I also think the odds are stacked against the transfer happening. Would Villa sell him for less than they paid? Unlikely. Are we going to spend £18-£24 million on a striker in January? Unlikely. Would Villa be willing to sell their main goalscorer in January? Unlikely.

There are very few decent options open to us, really. Hopefully Carroll gets a goal tomorrow, gets his confidence up and goes on a bit of a run. With the right kind of service I'm confident that he can.

I'd be fairly confident of Bent crumbling like Robbie Kean did for us. Not bad players at decent teams but take away the penalties and their scoring records start to look average.

The media seem to suggest Podolski is going to Arsenal for £16m - proves to me there are better options in terms of talent and value for money than Bent.

I'd be fairly confident of Bent crumbling like Robbie Kean did for us. Not bad players at decent teams but take away the penalties and their scoring records start to look average.

The media seem to suggest Podolski is going to Arsenal for £16m - proves to me there are better options in terms of talent and value for money than Bent.

I'd say it depend on what Bent will cost. Anything over 12 million and it's not worth it in my book.

Id say Podolski is a better player than Bent, but not a better goal scorer. This is his best season since 04/05 in terms of goals. He's been pretty mediocre in terms of scoring goals. And I think Bent would compliment Suarez better to be honest. However if we are going to pay £15+ million i think it's a joke and we might need to start to question our ability in the transfer market.

Isn't it a bit like having your cake and eating it to say that Bent would be a good signing but for no more than ten, twelve or fifteen million? He is going to cost £20M plus if anyone wants to get him from Villa, so you either like him at that price or you don't want him. That's where I am anyway. If we are even in for him.

Isn't it a bit like having your cake and eating it to say that Bent would be a good signing but for no more than ten, twelve or fifteen million? He is going to cost £20M plus if anyone wants to get him from Villa, so you either like him at that price or you don't want him. That's where I am anyway. If we are even in for him.

Well i suppose in one way it is, but surely you have to put a number on what you think he's worth, obviously should his goals get us CL football he'd be worth £20 million and more than that, but we really should be able to find better for that sort of money.

And it seems Villa are in abit of a financial mess, Bent and McLeish supposedly had a bust up aswell so i wouldnt rule out getting him for £12-15m.

If £20m is his price i certainly dont want him, i think we can do alot better for that sort of money, and add £5-10m more and we are talking players on the brink of world class, if not now certainly in the summer. And unless he kicks it up another notch i dont see him as more than a stop gap signing, and considering his age i dont think it's likely he will develop much further.

All of the people who say we should be aiming higher than Bent, who exactly? Higuain? We're not even in the Europa, we're currently 14 points behind the league leaders, we can't afford massive fees, and our wage structure is probably somewhere between a third and a half of what Man City will pay. As much as I'd love to think we're signing 'world class' players (whatever that is?) we just aren't.

As a player he would be a good signing.

At £25m, he would still be £10m cheaper than Carroll, and I don't think that FSG are likely to authorise another big money punt just at the moment.

We are in that netherworld that in the past Spurs and Newcastle have found themselves in before.The best players won't come without CL football, the rest won't improve us.

And City have set the mercenary rate at £200k a week.

Have a gander around the squad.

Yes, and? Downing, Adam, Carroll, Henderson. Ordinary players, all bought in the last twelve months.(i'm being overly dramatic for effect)

But do you really think, if we sign Bent, it will be for anything less than £20m? Like you say, for around £10m, good signing, that's not the reality though.

Yohan Cabaye left a UCL team for Newcastle. That could NEVER EVER EVER happen.

Vidal to Juve too, a really top class player from the looks of it, wasn't exactly an unknown either. €13m.

Spurs signed Modric when they had no CL too, all of Europe knew about him, but Spurs took the chance.

Those are the types of players we need to be trying much harder to find and then convince(i.e, offer them a salary they find agreeable) to come to Liverpool.

Still haven't heard any decent shouts about strikers we could sign.

It's clearly daft to suggest the likes of Cavani, Hulk and Higuain.

IMO there is no way Villa are going to accept less than what they paid for Bent, and we are not going to spend £18 million on him.

Seems like the most credible links so far are Sinclair, De Jong and Hoilett.