You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Montreal Impact in MLS??

The MLS All-Star match (uh, sorry game) is today and the commissioner of MLS has said in his state of the union address (God I love American franchise leagues) that they'd like to eventually get to 18 teams (Philadelphia and Seattle already awarded franchises (sic) for next year.

Montreal Impact of the USL Div 1 have a soccer-only stadium (Saputo Stadium named after the cheese company Saputo...mmmmm...cheese---I should add that from days in the pizzeria business Saputo Mozzarella was far superior to any other brand) as well as Hartford, Las Vegas, Ottawa (hahaha! Never happen) and Vancouver. Gilett is rumoured to want in as he already owns Les Glorieux.

So, let's all pitch in and encourage this and he'll be gone forcing Hicks to sell?

C'est un plan magnifique, non mon amis?

Oh, and congratualtions to the Montreal Impact or winning the Nutrilife Canadian Championship and the right to represent Canada in the CONCACAF CHampions League- they play Real Estsis of Nicaruaga in the first round.

Canada is bigger and sitting on top of the USA.

In Prison, the USA would be our bitch.

i like your way of thinking, but i'm not sure if we wouldn't be screaming for a prison guard having been locked in the same cell.

np - do you really think america will just let us dominate them and sell them water, or do you think it's more likely that they'll just invade us for it.

they will if dick cheney has something to say aboot it.

All the futurists say the next wars will be fought over water; we'll sell it to them but on their terms.

Remember the Avro Arrow, SS Manhattan sailing through the NW Passage, DEW line which was really an American operation. Harper is trying to put a sovereign stamp on things by building deep sea port in Nunavut and a military base in Resoloute (I think) up here but until then, believe it or not, our North is patrolled by Inuit blokes on snow mobiles with rifles strapped to their backs.

2554254512_20fdbb5048.jpg?v=0

IS2008-3021.jpg

Those commie bastards will never stand a chance!

...our North is patrolled by Inuit blokes on snow mobiles with rifles strapped to their backs.

Let's be honest, who the fuck wants to run across one of them? I'll take my chances against a nuke before I try to go up against an Inuit on a snow mobile with a rifle. Challenging one of them in their element is a death wish.

np - do you really think america will just let us dominate them and sell them water, or do you think it's more likely that they'll just invade us for it.

they will if dick cheney has something to say aboot it.

Nah, we'll just force an arranged marriage at gun point :whistle: That'll also take care of the Alberta problem for ya.

One thing I never understood is why the Copa America and Copa Libertadores didn't involve teams/countries from all the American countries. Was CONCACAF designed so that USA wouldn't be twatted by the South Americans?

CONCACAF is dominated by Mexico; I would say Mexico would have a hard time qualifying from the South American group. As well CONCCACAF is a haven for FIFA corruption (allegedly and proven- Andrew Jenkins' book Foul shows how Jack Warner, a FIFA vp and pres of CONCACAF has operated in very shady ways, make your average Italian football club president blush).

There are close to 50 countries in CONCACAF and they all have votes at the FIFA Congress...so Aruba has the same vote as Mexico, Dominican Republic the same vote as England. So Warner has power and delivers those votes to Sepp.

USA has just recently become a power in CONCACAF over the last two decades or so. Costa Rica would be the next country that qualifies with somewhat regularity.

• 1 year later...
Guest ShoePiss

Montreal won't be making it to MLS in 2011 but it does look like they'll make the USL final this year after beating Puerto Rico 2-1 away from home in the 1st leg semi-final.

The two teams that will be joining MLS in 2011 are playing against each other in the other semi-final. My adopted team the Portland Timbers got beat last night by Vancouver Whitecaps 2-1 but get to play them at home on Sunday in front of a real crowd.

I suppose their new MLS website is both a compliment to us and a bit of comedy putting themselves in the same breath as Liverpool etc.

Portland MLS 2011

1.jpg

Anyway Sunday's going to be a great day of sport.

Ah, MLS crowds. Thousands upon thousands of 25-year-old, white, college-educated yuppies with iPhones, and a few Hispanic guys banging a big drum the whole time. At least, that's what it's like in DC.

A few? When I was there for the Open Cup Final, the stadium was half Barra Brava. And then when we played them in the league, it was half Barra Brava... which was about 200 people. In any case, DC sets the bar, and as much as I dislike them, I think your characterization of them is false.

A few? When I was there for the Open Cup Final, the stadium was half Barra Brava. And then when we played them in the league, it was half Barra Brava... which was about 200 people. In any case, DC sets the bar, and as much as I dislike them, I think your characterization of them is false.

It's not. I lived there and attended some matches. "A few" Hispanic guys is negative hyperbole, but the majority of the crowd was probably suburban kids whose mothers made them play "soccer" because American football is "too rough."

I don't know if anything could change that misconception about football being for young kids. Fact is America has it's own sports, they're popular, they attract billions of dollars and it's part of the culture. The traditional football league system isn't suited to how North American sports are set-up, although I know a lot of young English players are starting use the college route to get into the MLS.

Plus the salary cap will always hamper the league attracting a high amount of players of any real quality.

It's not. I lived there and attended some matches. "A few" Hispanic guys is negative hyperbole, but the majority of the crowd was probably suburban kids whose mothers made them play "soccer" because American football is "too rough."

Be that as it may, they set the bar for support in the United States. The Barra Brava are the gold standard that all clubs here aspire to. Their displays and continued support are unmatched in the MLS.

As for the salary cap, I completely agree Jules. For the foreseeable future it will stay because it helps to keep the smaller, less well-run clubs in with a shout. In a backdoor sense, it also keeps the league afloat.