You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gattuso

A few years ago a defense of Cafu, Stam, Nesta and Maldini would easily have been the best in the world - especially with Gattuso playing in front of them. Now, though, I honestly reckon we can give them all manner of problems. Cisse's pace will give them nightmares, and they're definitely vulnerable down the flanks too. It's vital that we win the battle in central midfield (which I think we will - we actually have more quality) and if Carra and Sami can continue their immense form and keep Shevchenko and Kaka quiet then we can do it.

Personally, though, I have a really bad feeling about it.

what he said. except the last sentence - seemed to lose your way a bit there lad. actually I know what you mean, but the world's clearly gone mad anyway - we're in the final of the fuckin european cup - us - underperforming, half a squad, harry kewell, most not good enough to pull on the shirt, harry kewell, ridiculous injuries, michael owen gone, inconsistent, worst team in years, harry kewell, gerrard's on his way, too many spanish players, harry kewell. the list goes on. BUT we're in the final, we're on fire in europe, milan look vulnerable, alonso's back, cisse's back - it's bizarre, but I fancy us to win it. I don't understand football anymore. I don't understand it, but I fuckin love it. fivetimes of hesselink, stand up!

Built like a brick shithouse, that lad is.

Dida- looks a little dodgy at times.

Cafu/Maldini- combined age of 132

I think Cisse/Baros are going to give them problems. I think we're going to do it.

I said in an earlier thread that on last nights performance I'd sooner face Milan some the players looked their age last night and they certainly seem to leave space on the wings..keeper could be dodgy too. Free kicks are gonna need workin on though...and short corners!!

I'm made up we've got Milan. They were always my favourite Italian team from the days of the Dutch attack and Italian defence, and I really rate Gattuso now. Plus we've never faced them before (I think). The fact that they will be favourites is also in our favour, but the best factors are that they have no width, which suits our style, and they have looked shakey at the back of late.

Tactically, I think this will be a different game with it being only one leg and, despite what I posted elsewhere, I now think we should go with two up front. The only problem with that is that I think we need to have all three of Gerrard, Alonso and Hamann on the pitch in order to win. With a back four that picks itself and Riise and Garcia surely definites, I'm not sure how we could accomodate two up as I think the two should be Cisse and either Baros or Garcia, rather than Gerrard. Maybe:

Dudek

Finnan Carra Sami Djimbo

Gerrard Alonso Hamann Riise

Garcia Cisse

Not sure about Gerrard on the right, but I can't square the circle I drew above any other way. Whatever - I'm still really fucking excited about this now. It'll be even better going into it with fourth place secured - as will have happened by the season's end.

Galley is right footed I believe. I'd think twice about having him as left back. It seems Michael Howard will still be out of a job after tonight, so perhaps he could play on the left?

Am now thinking of compiling team of players where position and political allegiance are alligned. What do you mean some people go out sometimes??

Hairy German 70s Marxist, Paul Breitner would be a prime candidate for the left midfield slot, Di Canio on the right...okay, the whole ruse falls a bit flat when it comes to centre(ist) midfielders, and as for goalkeepers....ah, yes, that would have to be Greens...Klinsmann, perhaps ('cos he drove an old car and was into recycling and stuff...okay, I'm going to stop now)