You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Australia

bossy

35 minutes ago, Olddantucker said:

The handling of covid bit makes me laugh. Recent studies show the death toll would have been at least 20,000 more in NZ if handled the pandemic differently.  That's a lot of people when your population is only 5 million.

There was a lot of support for the Government's initial response, and there is no question that their approach kept the death toll down during the first wave.  Resentment started to build when the Government failed to follow up with efficient handling of MIQ, supplies of vaccines, supplies of PPE & RAT tests, and the drawn-out lockdowns.   Of course we are all happy that the death toll was no higher, but the general feeling is that this could have been achieved with much less disruption to people's lives (and less long term damage to the economy) had the response been better organised. 

2 hours ago, Olddantucker said:

That's just dog whistling.  This place is a fucking racist backwater.  At least in the electorate where I live the vote was 75% YES.

And it is exactly this attitude that causes a general ill feeling . The smug I’m better than you ‘cos I voted yes and your all racist attitude. Just because someone voted no does not mean it was because they are racist. My area also voted yes does that make me ok too?

5 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Tis the law that any change to the constitution requires a referendum with a majority of people and a majority of states voting for the change.

As the vote included recognition of first Australians in the constitution then no choice but a referendum.

One of the extra benefits of this vote is that Labor were talking about if they got voted in for another term then they could put forward a referendum on Australia becoming a republic and fucking off the royals. Severely doubt that would go ahead now, should they be re-elected.

Yeah I must agree Australia should be a republic.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

And it is exactly this attitude that causes a general ill feeling . The smug I’m better than you ‘cos I voted yes and your all racist attitude. Just because someone voted no does not mean it was because they are racist. My area also voted yes does that make me ok too?

I’m very used to my views being reassuringly exclusive.

On 15/10/2023 at 21:44, Evelyn Tentions said:

The Guardian is the only media that hasn't gone full RWNJ, including the ABC.

LNP (Australian tories) led by Peter Dutton blindly oppose everything. The No case was championed by 3 coconuts, all in the pay of mining corporations (who want to keep mining unfettered on Indigenous lands) The Merde-och press (and the rest) amplified the lies, misrepresentations and misinformation. 

To be fair to the racist cunts in Australia, it's not just Indigenous people that they discriminate against,  Southern Europeans have only become acceptable recently (and their 2nd generation are as bad as Anglos). Asians, Africans, Middle Eastern all suffer.

Fuck, even I got abused as a Pommy migrant in the early 70s. The White Australia policy wasn't ended until Gough Whitlam (who for me shares a pedestal with Bill Shankly) in 1973. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Australia_policy

I don’t think Shankly would have done what your man Gough did here. Shameful stuff.

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2000/09/timo-s18.html

20 hours ago, CapeRed said:

But all the racists voted no,no?

On 17/10/2023 at 06:42, s(k)aturation said:

We had "elite" indigenous politicians/political strategists like Jacinta Price and Warren Mundine as the right-wing face of the referendum. We had "elite" indigenous politicians/intellectuals like Linda Burney and Marcia Langton as the left-wing face of the referendum.

And below that lot, we had a bunch of white clown politicians led by Albanese and Dutton - slinging mud at each other along the usual cheap, nasty and execrable right/left political lines.

We had Marcia Langton call Australians racist about a month out from the poll, which her indigenous colleague Linda Burney admitted was "unhelpful".

So, from both indigenous and non-indigenous public facing angles, this was a political stoush first and foremost - rather than the cultural question it should have been.

I reckon solely acknowledging first peoples in the constituion would have won by about 100-0%.

However, against the backdrop of the above, ie. pure politics... the supposed lack of detail about exactly what form the "voice" bit would take perhaps left people convinced that just another public service "advisory" body would be created full of elite (indigenous) "politicians" divided along left and right lines - like Price/Mundine/Burney/Langton - rather than a bipartisan helpful one.

I think the facile and yet relentlessly strident divisions of left and right are a much wider problem in Australia than racism. We can suggest that 60% of Australian voters are racist, but I really think that is fanciful, even by the most reverberating of echo chamber standards.

Along with political cynicism, add the fact that a huge number of Australians have run out of savings and are now starting to put food and bills on their credit card, and I think you're looking at some much less anthropologically insidious reasons as to why this thing has failed to get up.

And I hasten to add, I could of course be completely wrong because I'm just a 56-year-old white "Australian" (of first generation Eastern European descent - ie. yesterdays "wog") who wouldn't presume to know what all of us down here think or are deep down inside.

Great post that has been left alone mostly because nobody knows who or what you are on about unfortunately.

On 17/10/2023 at 13:00, Olddantucker said:

The handling of covid bit makes me laugh. Recent studies show the death toll would have been at least 20,000 more in NZ if handled the pandemic differently.  That's a lot of people when your population is only 5 million.

Link to that info? My old man passed from a cardiac arrest on 2nd September 2020 and the NZ government were an absolute disgrace. There is a reason Jacinta, McGowan and and Andrew's have all quit and it isn't burnout.

17 minutes ago, Bloke said:

Great post that has been left alone mostly because nobody knows who or what you are on about unfortunately.

That’s because we’re on the other side of the world, man. 

I’m genuinely interested in what you’re all saying. Interesting discussion. Every day’s a school day and all that. There’s no need for anyone to be bitey

I agree, but as far as I can see the thread starter and first 13 replies until Cape Red( who unfortunately wasn't part of the Apartheid for some) are calling Australian's racist and misinformed from the other side of the world. Not from having any clue about it, just from forming a pre conceived opinion because of a political agenda with some. Just like the Israel/Palestine, Trump/Biden, Russia/Ukraine, Covid and whatever else threads. 

29 minutes ago, Bloke said:

I agree, but as far as I can see the thread starter and first 13 replies until Cape Red( who unfortunately wasn't part of the Apartheid for some) are calling Australian's racist and misinformed from the other side of the world. Not from having any clue about it, just from forming a pre conceived opinion because of a political agenda with some. Just like the Israel/Palestine, Trump/Biden, Russia/Ukraine, Covid and whatever else threads. 

Then enlighten us. All of you Aussies/Kiwis hash some shit out amongst yourselves. I’d probably read it. 

3 hours ago, Bloke said:

Link to that info? My old man passed from a cardiac arrest on 2nd September 2020 and the NZ government were an absolute disgrace. There is a reason Jacinta, McGowan and and Andrew's have all quit and it isn't burnout.

Spot on. 

3 hours ago, Bloke said:

Fuck all to do with my political agenda. I’ve family there and have visited a few times. I’ve also read history on the treatment of the aboriginal people and denial of civil rights, never mind the denial of their own way of life. I think their treatment is racist. It’s possible I’m wrong of course, but it’s my opinion, and it’s an informed one. 

• Upvote 1