You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If you are seeing ads on the forum - read this

dave u

Thought I'd start a thread on this as a few of you have asked about it.

Basically, anyone who has an active subscription should not be seeing any ads at all on the site (other than in house ones for t-shirts etc). Subscribers are ad free, so if you are seeing them it's because of the theme you have selected.

Go to the bottom of the page and select TLW Subscribers theme. When that's selected you shouldn't be getting any ads showing. If your sub runs out you'll start seeing them and they won't automatically go when you renew, you'll need to scroll down and re-select the TLW Subscribers theme again.

Any problems, either post in here or send me a PM.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

There is an Adblock Browser which allows you to view the forum,and the internet in general,ad free on mobile. Available for Android but not sure about Apple products.

haaland-everton-erling-haaland.gif

16 hours ago, Red_or_Dead said:

All fine on the desktop, but always have ads on the phone,

are you logged in on the phone?

The screenshot you showed is exactly how it looks for me on my phone until I log in, and then none of those ads show.

On 05/05/2023 at 06:22, VladimirIlyich said:

There is an Adblock Browser which allows you to view the forum,and the internet in general,ad free on mobile. Available for Android but not sure about Apple products.

Which also stops the ads being served, which pay for the running of the site. Nice one. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

It's a choice for everybody one way or the other.

There are lots of good reasons to use ad blockers. For example, preventing a behemoth like the Daily Mail profiting from your visit. 

Preventing ads being served on a one-man operation who spent 25 years building a community as a livelihood, where you seem to spend a hell of a lot of your free time, isn't one of them. 

• Upvote 5

22 minutes ago, Red_or_Dead said:

Or, just cough up a little cash and go gold!

Of course, there's that too! Money's tight at the moment (for everyone) so it's sound to not contribute. But actively denying the site its income because it inconveniences your browsing experience and advising others to do the same is... well... shitty.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Chris said:

There are lots of good reasons to use ad blockers. For example, preventing a behemoth like the Daily Mail profiting from your visit. 

Preventing ads being served on a one-man operation who spent 25 years building a community as a livelihood, where you seem to spend a hell of a lot of your free time, isn't one of them. 

I don't have ads on any site if I can help it regardless. Don't worry anyway as I'm not your demographic for merchandise and so forth. 

3 hours ago, dave u said:

What does this mean? It's gone over my head. 

He’s saying it doesn’t matter if he blocks your adverts because he’s not buying anything your ads offer anyway, and if your children starve as a consequence then so be it…

I think it's a fundamental misunderstanding of how ads work. In most cases payment to sites is based upon page views where the ad is served, rather than clickthroughs to buy anything. He seems to think the fact he's not going to buy one of Dave's shirts (not even an ad, just a link to the site's shop) negates the ad equation.

• dave u changed the title to If you are seeing ads on the forum - read this