You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 1 West Ham 0 (Oct 19 2022)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

The classic game of two halves. For 44 minutes I thought we were really good. Maybe as good as we’ve played all season (Bournemouth game apart) when it comes to combining what we did both with and without the ball. We looked dangerous, created plenty of chances but when we lost the ball we never looked at all in any danger. The shape was good, the organisation was good, the football was good, the tempo was good.

Then it just petered out a bit in the second half. We were still relatively comfortable and defended well enough for the most part, but we didn’t have anywhere near the same amount of control we had before the break and the chances we had were more sporadic rather than from a sustained build up of pressure. 

There are probably a couple of reasons for that. Firstly, the hangover. Sunday will have taken a toll on the players, both physically and emotionally. We came out flying because of the confidence boost a result like that gives, but the longer it goes the more chance there is that legs and minds become a bit tired. You hope to be a few goals up by the time that happens but if not you can end up having to grind it out. I definitely thought we lacked a bit of energy in that second half (Hendo apart, who got stronger as it went on), whereas in the first half we were flying around.

The second reason was that my boy Darwin was taken off after 55 minutes. And with him went most of the goal threat we’d had to that point. I don’t want to overstate this is any way, but I don’t think I can remember seeing so many “HOLY SHIT!!” Moments from an individual player in the same game since…. yeah I’m not going to finish that sentence as I’ll be reaching the Adele album and the ice cream again. I don’t have to spell it out, you know where I’m going with it.

And I’m not putting them on the same level, I’m just saying, that the “HOLY SHIT!!” thing isn’t something that happens all the time, but Darwin did it three times in this game. And that’s not even including the goal he scored.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £3 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 3

Good report Dave. I thought we looked jaded after Sunday's exertion, no problem there and to be fair, west ham looked similar. The authorities are flogging the players to death and Im reading FIFA want leagues to cup the number of team in their top league to 18 so they can fit more fucking internationals in! When are clubs going to stop this madness?

Back to the fame, I thought west ham would have had no complaints if we'd been 3 or 4 up by half time.

Agree we need to go on a run now to the World Cup break. 7 points behind city and Im convinced arsenal will shite the bed sooner rather than later.

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

Great report Dave. I would argue that things didn't look grim after Arsenal, as we were at least on a par with the form team in the league on their own patch. It took a disputed penalty (and a fucking ridiculous non-award of a penalty to us) for them to win. As you say, a few injuries (especially to Jesus) and they'll fall away.

• Upvote 1

I have no hate in my heart for Moyes as Eddie Howe is hogging most of the space in there these days.

Moyes is just a loser. There's nothing about him that bothers me anymore, he's just a sad, whiny little fuck but he's utterly harmless. 18 times he's faced us at Anfield and he hasn't won even one. I feel more pity than hate for Moyes.

• Upvote 2

• dave u unpinned this topic