You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 0 FC Porto 0 (Mar 6 2018)

tlw content

portoreport2.jpg

It was a game nobody wanted. Having lost 5-0 in the first leg Porto could certainly have done without it, and there was nothing to be gained for us either, although there was certainly plenty to lose (specifically important players ahead of the United game). 

It will have been a letdown for the TV companies too, not to mention fans who had paid top prices for what was now effectively a dead rubber. All things considered though, it wasn’t bad was it? As far as 0-0 draws in relatively meaningless games go, it was alright. 

I’m not entirely sure what Klopp’s thinking was with his team selection though. Most of it was as I expected. Rest Salah and Van Dijk, keep Karius in goal, rotate the full backs, give Lallana a start… all that was smart. Most of the team (apart from Van Dijk and the front three) are interchangeable so it doesn’t matter who the midfield three are or if it’s Gomez or Trent at full back. 

Starting both Mané and Firmino though seemed like an unnecessary risk, and bringing Mo on for the last 20 minutes with the message “if you run enough now you don’t need to train tomorrow” seems, oh I don’t know, BATSHIT FUCKING MENTAL. 

Why would you do that? I’m all for respecting the competition and the opponent, but how is putting Salah out there at that point anything other than playing with fire? The only explanation I can think of is that Klopp felt bad for the fans and didn’t want to deny them the chance to see Mo doing his thing. 

Our main man should have been sat in the stands watching and those final 20 minutes could have gone to Solanke or Woodburn. As it turned out, thankfully there was no harm done, but I can’t get my head around what Klopp was doing there. Imagine if he’d done a hammy. Fucking hell. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for ONE MONTH.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if Klopp gave Mo a few minutes as a compromise for the player. I wouldn’t be surprised if Mo was desperate to play the whole game as he’s in such a vein of form, and Klopp said no, but then Mo said how about the last fifteen then? It gave his fans a glimpse too, not jus the match going fans but his many worldwide fans, including 90 million Egyptians watching on the box.

Just wondering how it might have gone down behind the scenes.

Anyway, we came through unscathed which was the main point, and now it’s on to the last eight and also the big match against Man Utd. I’m completely with you there Dave. We could tear them apart, but it’s him, and them, and I fear a spawny 1-0 to them. Hope not.

The other week Arsenal took the piss against Nonentity FC and lost at home even though they pissed the first leg. No one was really arsed about it at the time but fast forward two weeks and they've lost three more, I'm not saying that would have happened to us but lose and shit like that has a habit of catching, and Klopp would be taking flak about how he should have picked a stronger side.

Players get injured in training players get injured doing the ironing ( yes you Michael Stensgaard) I'm happy that Klopp is happy with his squad that he's not scared of putting them out there.

• Upvote 5

Milner has been really good for a while now. He has to start on the weekend for me but I wouldn’t know who to leave out. I think Henderson, AOC and Can all deserve a start. Our midfield take a lot of shit off people but I think the nature of the game has changed the requirements. It’s why you won’t see Gerrards and Lampards the way the top teams play football now. If you look at Chelsea and their behaviour in the City game it should make you appreciate that our lads do take the ball in and try to play no matter who the opposition are or the pressing/tactics. It’s the basis for how we play. They’re all athletic and get up and down the pitch as well.

Milner is Mr Responsibility for me though. He’s the most complete player we have and rarely puts a foot wrong or takes the wrong option. He’s wanted to play in midfield for years and he’s proving now why he was right all along.

Milner has been really good for a while now. He has to start on the weekend for me but I wouldn’t know who to leave out. I think Henderson, AOC and Can all deserve a start. Our midfield take a lot of shit off people but I think the nature of the game has changed the requirements. It’s why you won’t see Gerrards and Lampards the way the top teams play football now. If you look at Chelsea and their behaviour in the City game it should make you appreciate that our lads do take the ball in and try to play no matter who the opposition are or the pressing/tactics. It’s the basis for how we play. They’re all athletic and get up and down the pitch as well.

Milner is Mr Responsibility for me though. He’s the most complete player we have and rarely puts a foot wrong or takes the wrong option. He’s wanted to play in midfield for years and he’s proving now why he was right all along.

I think Milner is doing well in midfield but is not going,nor was ever,the best option in a central role. His energy is making up for the odd misplaced pass or silly foul and yellow card. He's never been good enough as a first choice CM but playing alongside neat and tidy midfielders helps his non stop energy style of play. We are now able to rotate players more because of our defensive improvements and competition for places is much tougher than its been for a long while.

I understand Mane playing, he doesn't get much of a look in on his favoured right side these days because of Salah.

Mane was in a bad run of form at one point but after having a game on the right and scoring he started to regain some confidence and has been improving ever since, so I'm guessing klopp thought another game on the right will give him an extra push.

I think Milner is doing well in midfield but is not going,nor was ever,the best option in a central role. His energy is making up for the odd misplaced pass or silly foul and yellow card. He's never been good enough as a first choice CM but playing alongside neat and tidy midfielders helps his non stop energy style of play. We are now able to rotate players more because of our defensive improvements and competition for places is much tougher than its been for a long while.

We’ll need to match their physicality and aggression early on, whilst Milner would never let us down I can see him burning out badly by the hour mark.

I’d start with Chamberlain, Henderson and Can and then have Millers experience and calmness to bring on second half.

Even in the cold light of day I cant see any point in risking Firmino and Mane on Tuesday.

If it were right to protect VVD then it was right to protect those two especially as we have the likes of Solanke , Woodford and Ings desperate for game time.. 

• Upvote 1

Even in the cold light of day I cant see any point in risking Firmino and Mane on Tuesday.

If it were right to protect VVD then it was right to protect those two especially as we have the likes of Solanke , Woodburn and Ings desperate for game time.. 

Fixed