You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 1 Crystal Palace 0 (Aug 19 2017)

tlw content

palacereport1.jpg

It turned out fine in the end but it was getting a bit frustrating there until Sadio scored out of nothing. After that some of the football was terrific and but for the Palace keeper it would have been a rout. All in all, plenty of things still to work on but a win is a win and there were also a lot of positives to come out of it.

Jurgen made five changes to the team that had started the previous two games and had that backfired he’d have no doubt taken some serious flak for it. Personally I don’t have any issue with him ringing the changes as it’s a necessary evil right now. He doesn’t have the luxury to just keep putting out the same team because we’re not the 8th placed team we were going into last season which means we now have midweek football to content with. 

Whatsmore, until we get to the group stages these midweek games have to take priority over the league. Don’t get me wrong, once we’re in it I don’t actually care what Klopp does for the group games and if he wants to rest everyone to prioritise a title challenge then I’m not only on board that train, I’m in the drivers box with him, wearing the hat and sounding the horn. 

We have to get there first though, and failure to do so would be catastrophic on a number of levels. First and foremost, it would undermine all of the hard work from last season and cast an enormous cloud over the start of the season. It might also make it more difficult to bring anyone in before the deadline. Would Van Dijk still prefer us over Chelsea if we weren’t in the CL for instance? There’s the financial aspect too, but I couldn’t care less about that as it makes no odds to me (in fact, I could do without the £59 a game they’re charging me). 

No doubt Coutinho and his people would use any lack of CL football as further reason why we should let him go, but fuck that. If anything, if we blow it against Hoffenheim that’s even more reason not to let the malingering little shit go anywhere. Perhaps if he’d actually bothered his arse to play instead of faking a back injury (and Klopps comment’s about him being unlikely to play until the window is closed suggest to me that is the case) we’d already be through. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for THREE MONTHS.

Don't like this 'oh it is so important we qualify for the CL proper but I am happy for us to jib it off once in it' mindset.

I appreciate it is probably one driven by knowing how weak and ill prepared to handle the demands being in it and fighting for league brings but the answer is to get the resources we need to handle it rather than accept just being in it but not competing...we are 5 times champions of europe not frigging Arsenal.

• Upvote 2

Don't like this 'oh it is so important we qualify for the CL proper but I am happy for us to jib it off once in it' mindset.

I appreciate it is probably one driven by knowing how weak and ill prepared to handle the demands being in it and fighting for league brings but the answer is to get the resources we need to handle it rather than accept just being in it but not competing...we are 5 times champions of europe not frigging Arsenal.

This.

I was pissed with Rodgers for giving up on CL football and I'll be pissed if Klopp does the same.

• Upvote 1

This.

I was pissed with Rodgers for giving up on CL football and I'll be pissed if Klopp does the same.

I would normally but with a paper thin squad, if that's how this window ends, means that some prioritising will have to go on.